My company likes to reward with food

Options
2»

Replies

• princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This might sound awful, but if I am 'required' to attend, I take tiny portions, and share, or not finish. I don't like to be pushed around by opportunivoristic circumstances. Just because it's there doesn't mean I need a stale doughnut. Sometimes I arrive late, and have water with lemon, and no one says anything anymore. I've been bringing my own food for years though. Or I exercise at the lunch hour. They'll get used to it and after a while they'll stop offering.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would seek someone out, a manager or some one in HR if the company is really large and request that healthier options be mad available for the folks that are watching what they eat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one.. Could you talk to someone in administration or HR about maybe changing this policy to at least include some healthy/lighter stuff like fruit with the donuts, veggie burgers and salads at cookouts, salads with the catered food?

With all the obesity issues on the news and high insurance costs, I'm sure you could spin it in such a way to make it a cost saving idea.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    This will be an issue for the rest of your life, so consider this really good "training" in coping with temptation. Either attend and bring your own food, or work out what of the food fits in your calorie budget for the day.

If you can, request healthier options be available. When I was on a diet, I worked for a project manager who liked to do pizza parties. I quietly mentioned I was on a diet and I simply could not make pizza fit into my life at that time (this was before I was using this site). He asked what I wanted - I asked for salads and fruit, and he made sure to add a couple of salads and brought in a bunch of bananas and a few apples to each celebration so I could still be part of the team celebrations while eating healthy.

Funny thing, after a couple of rounds the number of salads started increasing, and people started requesting subs and sandwiches. Not exactly the paragon of health, but the fare slowly changed to something at least healthier than pizza.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    PS: If you feel awkward "confronting" someone with this, maybe a well-penned anonymous letter placed in the suggestion box, expressing gratitude for the kindness of their offer but politely requesting some healthier options for the more health-conscious employees?

I know most employers, health costs being what they are, would jump at the chance to try and improve the lifestyles of their employees. Mine has strict regulations surrounding cafeteria prices (healthier options are subsidized by the company, less-healthy options are inflated in price), availability of options, labeling, and employee incentives (buy three "green dot" items a week and eat free on Friday, etc).

We also have a program where we are offered a significant discount if we participate - which involves submitting to a blood test once every few years and filling out a health questionnaire annually and talking to a health coach regularly. It's all handled through a third-party that is not our insurance provider so the information remains anonymous and not associated with our insurance pool.

I imagine they could jump at the chance to provide a salads, some fresh fruit, or some lighter fare that you could enjoy while still being part of the "team".
  • emmas42
    emmas42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We have an unwritten office policy that if you make a big mistake you have to buy everyone cakes. It's been invoked a lot recently (Not my mistakes by the way!)

It's always one particular guy that goes down the bakery, so I've managed to persuade him to by me a low calorie drink now instead of cake. I find it easier to resist the cakes if I have a sweet drink. :happy:
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't really think I need to involve HR, I think I can enjoy a little while still staying in range. My co-workers and boss just want me to be a part of "the family" I don't think they want to hurt me :)

I work 12 hours shifts so I usually space out my calories in very small meals through out the day to keep my energy up which is why these events are such a challenge.

That being said, everybody on my team told me I'd gain the "freshmen 15" in the first year of working there, I've set out to prove them wrong! :bigsmile:
  • xbekkiex
    xbekkiex Posts: 30
    Options
    we do the same thing... I just avoid the areas where the food is put out now... or I'll show up a bit late so that everything is picked over and nothing looks appealing. It's tough when everything social revolves around food!
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Underachieve

I try!