Slightly OT.... ISSA certification?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, I was considering, as a gift to myself when I finally hit my goal weight, getting the ISSA personal trainer course/certification for both generic physical training, as well as nutrition (darn you MFP, your ads will do me in yet!).

Here's my question though, is ISSA actually a respected certification? Do any of you have it?

Replies

• courtneyweiss
    Options
    This is a fantastic question! I've actually often wondered this myself.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience about ISSA. If you can tell anything about a company from its public, I am somewhat old school when it comes to this sort of thing, but when a website like this starts off by saying
    According to the American Sports Data Company, a personal trainer can expect to earn $22-$45 per hour training at the gym, while a personal trainer with an entrepreneurial spirit will enjoy a much higher hourly rate.

my BS-o-meter starts ringing.

If you are sincerely interested in this field and want some credibility (as well as a professional commitment to actually know something before you start selling yourself), I would recommend going with a recognized organization such as the National Strength and Conditioning Association (www.nsca-lift.org) or even (and I can't believe I am saying this) ACE-www.acefitness.org.

I am more conflicted about the "nutrition" part. Part of me says that, if you seriously want to do "nutrition counseling" then suck it up and become a Registered Dietitian and get a license to practice. Otherwise you will be a fraud, regardless of how many "certificates" you have. On the other hand, people expect a wide range of expertise from their trainers and, right or wrong, will be looking to a trainer for guidance. So it is important to have some solid background in nutrition and weight-management concepts and be able to give some general advice, while at the same time having the intelligence and professional restraint to admit what you don't know. I guess I can only hope that you would associate yourself with a professional accreditation organization and follow their professional code of ethics.
  • CourtneyF
    Options
    I would go with ACE. Several of my friends are trainers and I have looked into it. With ACE the military even recognizes it and will help pay for testing, so to me that means a lot.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Thanks for heads up :)
    Basically, I'd like to think that losing the amount of weight I have has given me a good bit of knowledge, and I think helping others might be a good way to finally put my clinical psych degree to some use. I just need to figure out where to go from here.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Basically, I'd like to think that losing the amount of weight I have has given me a good bit of knowledge, and I think helping others might be a good way to finally put my clinical psych degree to some use. I just need to figure out where to go from here.

I just went through AFAA to get my PT certification. It is a very thorough training program and it was 3 day workshop that I attended. I learned a lot and think it's a very respectable place to get your certification through! Good luck!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options

I just went through AFAA to get my PT certification. It is a very thorough training program and it was 3 day workshop that I attended. I learned a lot and think it's a very respectable place to get your certification through! Good luck!
    Hey Jess have you heard back on your test yet? They take about 6 weeks, why I do not know. I am sure they enter it in a computer so you'd think 2 weeks tops but no it does take 5 to 6 weeks to hear back. I had aerobic fitness certification with AFAA for at least 5 yrs and did not renew due to the fact that it is expensive, I would have to travel 300 miles for workshops etc, stay overnite plus the gas to travel so I let it go. It was not a demanded certication where I am anyway, so I went and got a cheap 2 yr. one through IFA and will use that for my classes I lead! I NEED to have carpal tunnel surgery so I have not started my annual fall fitness classes due to hating to start something and have to quit! I have faith you will pass! I really do miss instructing but I am so use to working out on my own that I don't NEED a class but I do like helping others achieve some of their goals too! Best wishes to ya and msarro go for it man 'all things are possible'!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting!! Patiently...

I was fortunate.. The testing was a 45 min drive and my brother lives there so I stayed with him for the weekend. It worked out great! I still have to get my CPR cert. I'm really excited about it, thanks!