Squash

Options
nisijam5
nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
I just bought some fresh squash...I don't know what to do with it...but, I am willing to try a new veggie

Any ideas out there...please something simple

I've heard, maple syrup with a sprinkle of blue cheese

Any ideas would be great

Thanks,

Kim

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    What type of squash? I'd be able to help more if I knew.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What kind of squash? Theres about a handful of different types!:flowerforyou:
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    I like it sliced about 1/4 inch thick, sprayed with a little olive oil cooking spray, sprinkled with spices (garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc.) and grilled. Very yummy! You can also bake it like that. Or, cut into french-fry looking pieces and stirfry with a little olive oil and soy sauce. Also, can dice, mix with low-fat italian dressing, wrap in foil, and bake or grill the foil pack. Even just sauted with onions is very good. Enjoy!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    fresh diced butternut squash
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I bake it in the skin, sliced lengthwise, sprinkled with nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar. 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until the color deepens to a dark orange. Pat with butter and mash.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Since it's already diced the easiest thing to do is season it to your likeing and run it under the broiler for about 8-10 minutes. Toss it into rice, couscous, quinoa, or a blend of other roasted veggies.
    www.allrecipes.com is a really great site.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'd steam it, mash it and put just a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon...maybe some nutmeg too!:flowerforyou:
  • doriedee
    Options
    I like my butternut squash with a little lite maple syrup. If you buy it whole, then slice in half lengthwise, pour a little lite maple syrup on each half, bake until it's soft and you can spoon right out of the skin when done. No need to add anything else. This is probably my favorite veggie.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I also found a realy good recipe for butternut squash on Hungry Girl.. It's Squash Fries! Just cut the squash into fries shapes, sprinkle with salt, bake, and wahlaa!

Healthy nutritious fries :)
  • patrice27
    Options
    I like to steam it, then mash with a little brown sugar, salt, and if you really want to splurge-butter.
    I also stir fry it with onion & garlic, then add a bit of chicken broth (1/4-1/2 c) a chopped fresh tomato, and diced chicken. Cover for about 5 min, then remove lid and reduce the broth. Serve with rice.
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's very good with butter and a little honey drizzled over it.
  • Keegiejae
    Keegiejae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    roast or steam it, then drizzle some PB or a PB/milk mix (makes it easier) with cinnamon. To die for!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Since it's already diced the easiest thing to do is season it to your likeing and run it under the broiler for about 8-10 minutes. Toss it into rice, couscous, quinoa, or a blend of other roasted veggies.
    www.allrecipes.com is a really great site.

That sounds delicious with cous cous!!