Scales not moving - please help!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, but I've been using MFP since January. I've lost 37 pounds so far, but the last couple of months have been incredibly slow. I've been the same weight since 7th May, losing a pound, then putting it back on, then losing it again! Up to last week, I was eating 1200 calories a day and exercising two/three times per week; but now I decided to try calorie zig-zagging so I'm fluctuating between 1300-1600 calories per day and I've been doing the 30 Day Shred DVD for 9 days - but yet STILL no weight loss!

I thought initially that I maybe eating too few calories (thus the zig-zagging idea), then I thought maybe I'm not doing enough exercise (so I started the 30 Day Shred) - I should be losing two pounds per week, but it's just not shifting! Any suggestions on how I can kick this would be gratefully received! Thanks very much

Replies

• runningbird76
    runningbird76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • drea4784
    drea4784 Posts: 7
    Options
    im hoping someone answers this one too...im doing the shred also!
  • maliekhubbard
    Options
    Your body could be getting used to things. Your body weight will change about 3lbs durring the day. Try drinking more water and eating different foods.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you were eating 1200 calories a day, eating below your BMR, and then upped your calorie intake to something more healthy, it will take time for your body to readjust. If you have added in more carbs/sodium you could retain water in the short term also.

When bumping calories up to healthy/normal levels you should take into account the reset period. I always give any changes in calories a couple of weeks to sort themselves out, and watch my trending from month to month.
  • xxktlou02xx
    xxktlou02xx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have just been looking through these forums for an answer too. I am eating around 1200 calories a day too, have lost around the same amount of weight and am also struggling!!

My weight loss has slowed/stopped. I've been this weight for weeks, I've mega upped my exercise to try and help, nothing works. I am really disheartened now, everyone is saying to keep at it, I've done so well, but it's not working!!

What on earth are we to do?!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have just been looking through these forums for an answer too. I am eating around 1200 calories a day too, have lost around the same amount of weight and am also struggling!!

My weight loss has slowed/stopped. I've been this weight for weeks, I've mega upped my exercise to try and help, nothing works. I am really disheartened now, everyone is saying to keep at it, I've done so well, but it's not working!!

Come visit us:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Read all the stickies, and then ask questions

Your not eating enough it seems
  • AlliedF
    AlliedF Posts: 9
    Options
    It was suggested to me to up my protein if I stopped losing weight... remember that your body may well be thinking its in starvation mode if you are not eating enough and hanging on just in case it needs it!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Come visit us:

Agreed, most people should be eating well over 1200 unless they are teeny tiny to begin with.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough, specially if you're exercising. Eat 6 to 7 SMALL meals a day (by small I mean 4oz chicken breast with 10 asparagus spears) and always include a good source of protein at every meal. If you work out you should eat 1kg of protein per 1lb of body weight. Cycle your carbs, i.e. the days you train increase your complex carbs (brown rice, yams) and on the days you don't limit them, stick to green veggies and protein on these days. Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Eat your fruit in the morning preferably after you train. And change things up at the gym...don't stick to the same routine over and over again.

These are the things that have worked for me once I hit a plateau.
  • ldritc
    ldritc Posts: 6
    Options
    I am also in the same boat. I average 1400 calories a day. I run 5 days a week, walk for at least an hour every day, and am getting ready to learn rock climbing. I am up every day by 5 am and settle down until around 8. Despite that, I am at a stand still for weight loss. I have taken off inches, but I am really sick of my BMI being "Over Weight".
  • xxktlou02xx
    xxktlou02xx Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Come visit us:

I was looking through these last night. I am going to up my calories I think. Maybe not as high as some of those suggest, but I think I'll up it to around 1500-1600 and see how I get on! theres no harm in trying it for a while anyway, I'm at a stand still so I need to try something anyway! Thanks :)
  • minadee
    minadee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest calculating your BMR (here's a site :http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html) and not eating below that. If you start at eating the minimum 1200 calories, there's nowhere for you to go. Create your calorie deficit with exercise. For me, my BMR is 1750 so I set my net calorie goal at that. I was eating 1300 calories and I stalled out. I upped them and bang,,,a pound gone the next day. Good luck!
  • runningbird76
    runningbird76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just a quick message to say thank you for all your kind replies! As usual, I was being impatient - I weighed this morning and have lost three pounds! So, upping the calories has definitely done the trick!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough, specially if you're exercising. Eat 6 to 7 SMALL meals a day (by small I mean 4oz chicken breast with 10 asparagus spears) and always include a good source of protein at every meal. If you work out you should eat 1kg of protein per 1lb of body weight. Cycle your carbs, i.e. the days you train increase your complex carbs (brown rice, yams) and on the days you don't limit them, stick to green veggies and protein on these days. Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Eat your fruit in the morning preferably after you train. And change things up at the gym...don't stick to the same routine over and over again.

These are the things that have worked for me once I hit a plateau.

Ariana_75 you're a genius!
  • aaakayofmpls
    Options
    the one thing i learned is when you hit a platue,, change up your workout,, its like the body expects the same.. so give it something new to do