I'm looking for a bread replacement...

Options
vvvtrishiavvv
vvvtrishiavvv Posts: 12 Member
Most regular slices are about 90cals per slice. Some of the 'healthy' brands are 45cals per slice. Let me know what you use and how many cals.

I've tried a 90cal flatbread and wasn't too fond of the taste. I like the fluffy, smooth texture...not dry/grainy.

I guess I'm hoping for a diamond in the rough because I love my bread and my go-to snack is a half or whole sandwich because it's so quick to throw together.

Replies

• jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    Sandwiches are my fave too. I use Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat 50 cal per slice. It's not nutty grainy.
  • Scareyrn
    Scareyrn Posts: 5
    Options
    I recently came across Aunt Millies and Nickles. They both offer a bread with 35 calories per slice! I prefer the MIllies, its softer and I think a lil bigger than the Nickles brand. I have been a sandwich freak since finding these!!
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I buy village hearth italian bread or multigrain bread... is 40 cal a slice ... they also make hamburger buns as well.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Nature's Own 50 calories per slice bread
    Love it!!
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    i tried pepperidge farm very thin--3 slices per serv.-90cals (100% whole wheat)
  • 20kisses
    20kisses Posts: 5
    Options
    romaine lettuce leaves
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Natures Own Honey Wheat - 40 calories a slice.
    My girlfriend uses Joseph's Flax Pitas - 60 calories a pita.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I used healthy life whole wheat with flax it's like 40 cals a slice and I also have ezekial 4:9 bread it's really good expecially the cinnamon raisin and VERY good for you 80 cals a slice but I eat two slices and that's my breakfast with spray butter
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Wraps. They're made from coconut.
    http://improveat.com/whatoffer.php
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    Kroger Lite White Bread - 40 cal a slice!!!
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love sprouted bread! It is a little fluffier than high fiber bread but is a bit grainy. It has a ton a protium an lower carbs. You might want to try it. And sour dough has a Lowe GI rating than other white breads.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat tortillas. Sam's Club has some that are really large with only 100 calories each.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Aunt millies has one that's 35 per slice.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    romaine lettuce leaves

I have a friend at work who makes lettuce wraps with lunch meat, I've tried it before & it's actually pretty good. She said she's pretty much given up bread at this point since she likes the lettuce wraps. Definitely an easy way to cut calories.
  • jencornelius
    Options
    Healthy Life bread is 35 cals/slice and they have white, whole grain and wheat. I also like to use lavash bread to make sandwich rolls (50 cals/serving) for lunches with lots of veggies and laughing cow light cheese wedge in the flavor of your choice.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I really liked all of the Healthy Life breads.
    Arnold Slimwiches are ok.
  • MSimp78
    MSimp78 Posts: 17
    Options
    Healthy life is pretty good! 35-45 calories per slice depending on the kind you get.
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    We have a bread out here in the Northwest called Dave's Killer Bread. They have 65 and 75 calorie versions, both are delicious and high in fiber.

I also use a lot of La Tortilla Factory - Low Carb / High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas -- their large tortillas are only 80 calories and have 8 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber!