Hi. My name's Becca, and I'm chubby.

Options
I just signed up today, put in my meals, and drinks (this is my big downfall I think)... I think this will really help me focus. I've struggled with my weight internally for a long time. My whole family is heavy and everyone struggles with controling what they eat. I've never had a sweet tooth like the rest of them, but carbs and soda, oh I love bread and dr. pepper... I've recently (7 months ago) had a damaged nerve (a result of dental procedure trouble) in my face which aggrivated previously damaged nerves in my back and shoulder which pretty much made me stop doing everything and resulted in weight gain. In the last two months, now that the pain is under control, I've lost 10 lbs, then 4 more, then gained back 4. I have to walk for hours (1-4) at a good brisk pace solid, but it's not enough now.
I see it most in my face and my belly. (I've lost a lot of muscle in my face, neck, chin, jaw, from trying not to talk/express, just trying not to move my face a lot, it would make the nerve pain worse, but it's tolerable now).
I used to be an athlete when I was in high school. Petite, but muscular... seems like I was a different person back then. I miss the body. I miss feeling pretty and sexy.
I think that's the first time I said that to anyone (this is a forum, so it counts, right?)....
So. The change starts today. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!!

Replies

• xJenBenx
    xJenBenx Posts: 12
    Options
    Welcome! I only joined this week but I really love it so far, I am so aware of what I am eating now and Im really motivated to work out loads!

I think when you do the same thing for a good while your body doesnt react as much to it because you are using the same muscles all the time, if its possible at all, you should try something new to do aswell, Zumba, Box Fit, Taebo, Swimming?

once you log what you eat for even a few days its a real eye opener!

Feel free to add me :)
  • kmpawley
    kmpawley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca, I just joined 2 days ago but I'm I love it already. It really makes you think about what your eating. Seeing how many caloriesI have really makes me want to be active and exercise. I don't wan to go over my calorie limit. Everyone has been really nice and I have found answers to a lot of questions I have had on the message boards. Add me as a friend if you want and we can keep each other motivated.:happy:
  • rebewck
    rebewck Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks!!
    I should throw in there- I travel M-F for work, driving for HOURS each day... a routine is almost impossible.... I try to do some little clenching/flexing things in the car, mostly just to keep myself occupied. I've daydreamed about there being a car-yoga routine I can follow. Ha! I'm so self-conscious now that I've stopped going to the hotel workout rooms- I'll do relaxation yoga, streatching, crunches, in my room. I swim at home when I'm there (occasionally I have "home weeks") my pool is just starting to warm up, so that's definately on the agenda.
  • BookofJenny
    BookofJenny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca, I have been using the forums and stuff for just over a week now and it has really helped me to stay motivated :) feel free to add me if you want some support!
  • the_prettty1
    Options
    Hey Becca, I'm chubby too, feel free to add me as a friend. I'm 2 months and 13 lbs down! Slow and steady wins the race
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Hi Becca, thats my wifes name ;)

Anyway, welcome to MFP. I note your later comment about how you spend long hours driving to and from work. When I was overweight I would always come up with the excuses that I had no time blah blah blah. Trust me. You need to make time. If youre a morning person, get up an hour early. Go to the gym or whatever exercise regime you choose. Feel free to add me. Happy to offer as much motivation & tips as I can...
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Welcome, best advice is to log everything which you are doing and good job. I am recently restarted and I am planning on using friends that I make here and these fourms as motivation. I found a thread on here where there is a friendly contest which hey if posting a pic online isn't motiviation I am not sure what will motivate me.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I joined last week and I'm loving it so far! I wish you luck on your journey and hope MFP is as great for you as it has been for me!

Feel free to add me :)
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca,

Welcome! I know it's really eye-opening when you start tracking those calories. I'm a numbers girl, so I really dig this website. It's fun to see how well I can do with keeping my net calories around 900 or so. I make a game out of it. I also really appreciate that there's a 'complete entry' button; that little click allows me to tell myself that I'm done eating for the day and helps keep me from going for a late night snack.

Seeing the numbers every day has also motivated me to exercise so I can earn calories to eat enough so I don't feel hungry later in the day. I really miss those workouts on the days I don't exercise because it makes it harder for me to stay at my calorie goal.

I'm overweight as well. I need to lose a total of 35 lbs and this week I hit the 10 lb mark! I've been using the site for 7 weeks. Just hang in there and keep tracking everything. You'll get to where you want to be.
  • annaquarium
    annaquarium Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on joining, making an effort is the first step, right?

I travel a lot too, and I've found that using Nike Training Club app (it's free) in whatever room I'm in is a great way to set up a little routine and keep track of what I'm doing. You just need a little bit of floorspace!

Add me if you want. We can all use some encouragement, right!? =)
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had very bad eating habits before I joined MFP. I find seeing the calories in numbers on my screen helps keep me in check. Fell free to add me as a friend, I am always on here ready to give support!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    keeping the calories in check helps me want to exersize, once I see the changes in my body it makes me more motivated!
  • rebewck
    rebewck Posts: 14
    Options
    So, I'm a crier... Thanks everyone!! I didn't expect such a welcoming!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Hey, you can do it! Start by just keeping track of everything, even if you're over in your calories. You'll start to see pretty quickly where your problem areas are. I don't currently travel for work, but I've been there. I'd say don't be too self conscious to go to the hotel gym! Especially if you spend hours sitting in the car some walking on a tread mill or an elliptical might make a hug difference. Change one or two things at a time to take on, set some measurable, reachable goals. Celebrate when you achieve them. Then set some more!

I also understand recovering from medical problems/injuries. A broken ankle a few years back sent me back to square one. There are lots of great people here to support you and celebrate your successes. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm on most days .
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hello Becca,
    My name is Cecilla and I know what you mean about missing the person you used to be. i am trying to get to a health weigh so we can have a baby. I am willing to offer my support and any thing else that will help. Good luck