Not that comfortable lifting the weights at the gym...

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I just got a gym membership and today I went. My plan was to do squats, bench presses, and some other things. Today I was just going to give everything a try to see what weights I need to be using. I went to the squat rack and just did a few without weights because I have never used one of those before and I felt like I was all over the place. I don't have very good balance or something. And I also went to do some bench presses, again without any weight, just the bar, and it was pitiful. I could only do like 3 reps of just the bar by itself. It was a heavy bar haha. And I was kind of scared I was going to drop it on myself, I feel like I need someone there with me to help. So the rest of the time I was there I just used the machines lol. Does anyone have any advice? Should I get a personal trainer or something? Ugh...

Replies

• spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For the squats (and pretty much everything except bench press) just keep at it and you'll improve. The rack and safety rails are there to catch the bar should you need to dump it, so don't worry about that.

As for bench press, if you really think you're going to be dropping it on yourself (sounds like 45lbs is a heavy starting weight for you) then can you bring someone with you to spot you during that lift? Or even ask someone else in the area if they'd mind giving you a quick spot. Most people are happy to oblige in a pinch.

EDIT: Since you seem to be interested in barbell training, check out Stronglifts 5x5. It will give you some direction and help with a guided program on the lifts and how to increase the weight.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. It's going to take a month to get into a routine. The sooner you start, the sooner you will feel better about it and start seeing results.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The gym I use and previous ones I have been to normally the staff walk you round and suggest what you use to get you started. When I restarted in February there was a major change in the induction process because of changes to our (UK) health and safety laws.

I would suggest you speak to a member of staff on your next visit, tell them what you want to gain from attending and ask for directions on reaching those goals.

Good luck with your goals.

Andy
  • hesn92
    Options
    Since the bar was too heavy for me should I use dumbbells? Or use one of the machines? (until I can do 45 pounds anyway)
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    That's fine. But just so you know, it's probably not really a strength issue but technique so don't worry about it.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Since the bar was too heavy for me should I use dumbbells? Or use one of the machines? (until I can do 45 pounds anyway)

Unless you're tall and/or have long arms, see if you can find the 25lb Olympic Bar and start with that. Dumbell Bench Press and Barbell Bench aren't the same, don't get me started on the machines.

Just speaking form, go to YouTube and search for:
    1. So You THink You Can Squat
    2. So You Think You Can Bench

Those are great learning videos.
  • hesn92
    Options

Unless you're tall and/or have long arms, see if you can find the 25lb Olympic Bar and start with that. Dumbell Bench Press and Barbell Bench aren't the same, don't get me started on the machines.

Thanks. There probably were lighter bars, I just didn't get a good chance to explore because it was kind of crowded. Is being tall a problem? I am 5'10
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont feel pitiful, everyone starts somewhere. make sure to keep track of your weights so you can look back on your progress as the months go on.

for squats (and many other standing exercises) i personally have a hard time doing them in typical crosstrainers or running shoes. something about the cushioning throws me off . i started lifting in socks because i got so frustrated but i'll be soon moving on to a pair of converse since the flat soles will be good

i agree with jnick about using the 25# bar, it'll be significantly shorter than the 45 pound. i've even seen some places refer to it as the women's bar :grumble:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Thanks. There probably were lighter bars, I just didn't get a good chance to explore because it was kind of crowded. Is being tall a problem? I am 5'10

It's really your arm length that would concern me with going to a short bar. If you watch the video you'll understand what I mean. You'll want to make sure you're body and arms are in the right position when you go to bench press and if you're arms are long then you might not be able to grip wide enough on a short bar.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Since the bar was too heavy for me should I use dumbbells? Or use one of the machines? (until I can do pounds anyway)

Use the dumbbellsdo your bench press and try to find yourself a workout partner if possible.

The squat can be tricky to learn on your own...the easiest way to make sure you have correct form is to squat with a bench behind you...sit on the bench and stand up, keeping eyes forward....repeat. This can be done with dumbbells too

There is no reason you cannot do this!
  • echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    See if there is a lighter bar for bench press (can use the same for squats, but like others said that is whats good about a squat rack, it stops the bar from crushing you if you lose control) Usually gyms have lighter ones on different racks. I have a personal trainer and she helps with proper technique and pushes me, also a spot for heavy lifting. WHile I have lifted before, having the trainer is accountability and a good resource, but can get expensive.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer trainer services. If yours doesn't, maybe one of the other lifters there would be kind enough to help you out.

Sounds like you need help with form. That is where a spotter could come in handy.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Also do pushups. As many as you can
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is an awesome read and will get you started on a great lifting program! I highly recommend it. I'm about halfway through stage 1 now and I love it! :)
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    If you feel more comfrotable using machines have at it. I use machines and free weights for different exercises, but if you don't do free weights/bench/squats the world will NOT end, Maybe if you build up your strength 1st and then attempt them you will feel more confident.