Hip measurnments

Options
Hey guys,

I am pear shaped. There is no way around it. I've come to accept that fact. However, there is pear shaped, and there is PEAR shaped. And I feel my hips are bordering on being too much. I am not expecting to get them down to a size zero or anything, but I would like to know if a) anyone has reduced their hips from 40 inches to a smaller number (such as 35-37) and b) did you do anything special to reduce the size of your hips? I just need to know that turning down that cupcake earlier today was worth it, lol. Thanks!

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    really, no one????
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The only way is to lower your body fat % overall. Unfortunately, you cannot 'force' where it comes off, and for us pear shapes, it often is the last place for it to go. But the good new is, yes they will get smaller (how small depends on genetics and overall BF%).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At around 160# and 5'5, mine were about 41"... at least that's where they were when I first measured myself.

Now, around 130-135, my hips are around 36". I run and lift heavy, ate at a moderate to small calorie deficit, around 1600-2000 calories total to lose weight, currently a little more in maintenance.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Eat well, exercise, drink water.

Lift heavy things.

Be patient.

My hips used to be (without checking, I will guesstimate) 54" - they are now 37"
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was 40.5" (160-165 lbs..I forget when I finally measured) I am now 34" (Around 134.8 lbs) I am a pear shape. My butt has shrunk a LOT, my hips a lot, and my thighs a lot....I am still very much pear shaped just a smaller pear ;-) :flowerforyou:
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Welcome sista! I'm pear shaped as well. But wherever you carry your extra weight (read: fat), when you lose it will come off that area eventually.

My thighs have gone down by a couple inches (lost 17 lbs) so far. As you lose weight it will melt off.

Just hang in there!! It's TOTALLY worth it. I NEVER thought I could fit in short shorts but now I am loving my thighs and ROCKING them. :bigsmile:
  • deez2015
    deez2015 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and my hips were 42" a month ago, now 39". i am doing the couch to 5k program (www.c25k.com) and it seems to be working well. i've even lost 3" off my waist and .50 off my legs.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    My hips were 47in. now they're 37in. -10 inches in 16 months. I did a lot of dancing (that involves hip movements), jump roping, and walking/jogging. Hope this helps :)
  • tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am on the path getting there! My hips were 49 inches when I started, got them to 45.5 so far. I will ALWAYS have a booty and hips, but I am OK with that! I would just prefer it more compact! So far just doing cardio and squats.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Mine are more than 40" currently (maybe 42 including my but, don't remember for sure). I'm still working on my weight loss, but when I was 35lbs lighter I could wear a size 2 (US) so they were definitely smaller! It just depends really.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am exactly pear shaped - I guess I am. At around 181 lb, my hips were 45" at the highest. Now, at 135 they are 37.25 - I am 5' 5 1/2". Waist is 27.5, bust 34.25 - does that make me pear shaped?

I run 3x a week, and do kettlebells 3x a week (as heavy as I can). I started out with 30DS and Ripped in 30.
  • dietstokes
    Options
    Oh I know I cant spot reduce. My hips make that clear, lol. However, I was just wondering what people have done (exercise, food, water, etc) that they noticed had the biggest impact on their overall measurements. I am recently getting back into running now that an injury has healed, and I am doing 30 day shred, as well as other types of cardio. But even when I was training for both of my half marathons, I dont remember my hips getting much smaller than they are now.

Guess I'll just keep at it. One of these days they'll have to shrink (right?!?!?)

:-P
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest was 44inch hips in hs. In college I think I was around 38 and I'm at 35 now. I'm still pretty pear shaped now. I have a 26'' waist and 32b breasts.

In terms of anything special, no. Just boring old eating right and exercise.
  • dietstokes
    Options
    Darn. You mean there is no such thing as a magic pill? *sigh* Just keep plodding away then I guess. *plodplodplod*
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My hips were 39 inches and now they are 36 inches its taken healthy eating, cardio and weights 5-6 days a week for about 4 months to start seeing results!
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Great job all of u! It's awesome to hear that they do eventually go down! I feel so unproportionate...37, 28, 41!!!
    BUT i am finally able to get into a size 6!! :tongue:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You'll have to see what happens after reducing your overall body fat. Some people retain their shape no matter what they do. You might not want to use direct weight resistance on your hips and butt; some women get bigger.