What weight is most likely to have skin hanging after?

Options
I started my journey having 110 lbs to lose. I now have 97 lbs to lose. One of my biggest fears is that I may have skin on my stomach hanging down. My husband told me that that usually happens with people who lose 150lbs or more. My question to you guys is, what amount of weight loss would cause this? Is there any way to prevent it?

Replies

• grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That is one of my big fears too. I have emailed a lot of people who have lost significant amounts and have heard if you tone the muscles you won't get as much skin sag. And use plenty of lotion. It happens worse to people who lose a lot very fast.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xbekkiex
    xbekkiex Posts: 30
    Options
    I've heard drinking water helps? But this is a big concern of mine too - I have 70 to lose, and already have some saggy belly from having a baby, I'm hoping the toning will help with that... would love to hear from people who have lost a lot and not had saggy skin!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how fast the weight is lost, the faster the more likely you will have saggy skin. And it also depends on your skin's elasticity. If you are proned to stretch marks than you don't have the best elasticity.
  • adalychee
    adalychee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also, when you do get loose skin, is it permanently loose or is it just not able to keep up with the rate of fat loss (and thus will disappear over time)?
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how fast the weight is lost, the faster the more likely you will have saggy skin. And it also depends on your skin's elasticity. If you are proned to stretch marks than you don't have the best elasticity.

I agree with this. And I've heard about the water comment. I believe its different for everyone (I'm not an expert, so this is just my opinion). But, skin is pretty elastic, and can repair itself. I've also heard that if you lose weight really really fast, you don't give your skin "time" to figure out what is happening, and youll have saggy skin. But if you keep hydrated, and do cardio as well as strength training (core exercises!!), then that should help
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    With the majority of my clients from the past, if they had 80lbs to lose or more, there was usually going to be excess skin. The younger ones (20's) seemed to have less of it. Age and genetics have a lot to do with it though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'd post a pic of my stomach, but I don't want to scare anyone into deciding it's better to just stay fat. LOL

Seriously, this was a huge concern for me too...even an excuse for a bit, but now that it's just a fact of my life, it's just not the big deal I thought it would be. It sucks, but it just is...ya know? If my loose skin (and trust me it's everywhere) is the price I pay for the amazing difference this has made in my life, it is SO TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Drink your water, use your lotion, and don't let it hinder your journey.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    First off you will age saggy skin. Accept that fact. Now how much of it, the way it looks and if it's permanant no one can answer. You can do things to help your body, lose slower, exfoliate, water, weights and so on but it will happen. I'm not saying it will stay hat way (two years after you hit goal is a common measure)

Would you rather have firm skin with that 110lb or saggy skin weighing lighter wih all the extra benefits?
  • buzymamagoals
    buzymamagoals Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have lose skin now and still have 60+ to lose. But also having 3 babies in the last 4 years I have a belly over hang :(
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You will probably have some saggy skin. 1) lots of water, 2) lots of stomach/core exercise 3) lots of moisturizer on you tummy (
    AND ARMS). 5) start a savings account for the tummy tuck when you reach your goal!! I prefer saggy skin over the beach ball.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    If you have enough, you may qualify to get the excess removed
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was about 250lbs and am now 126lbs. I have a "hangy" tummy. That being said, I have also had 3 c-sections and am in my mid 30s so those things probably factor in also. I lost my weight over a period of years (not super fast) and it really bothered me. In the past few months I have been working more on toning and I am starting to notice a difference. I will probably always have some lose skin but I figure I'm still way better off than I was.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I kind of figure that when I reach my goal, that I will have some - especially since I have had 2 c-sections.

But - I don't give a crap. I'll still look a heck of a lot better than I do now.
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    I am scared about this too... I'm 21, so hopefully my skin is elastic enough to take care of it, but it's still hard to think about it. I really don't want to invest in a tummy tuck or something.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That is one of my big fears too. I have emailed a lot of people who have lost significant amounts and have heard if you tone the muscles you won't get as much skin sag. And use plenty of lotion. It happens worse to people who lose a lot very fast.

This is what my trainer told me.
  • Lillyeatslillies
    Options
    I heard the losing the weight really fast can cause that like in lap band or bariatric surgeries. If you are exercising and eating right I think it's not as severe. I one time lost 85lbs and didn't use any lotions and had no problems at all. Now that I'm older and gained that all back I'm not sure if I'll encounter it. I think weighing less and being healthy outweighs loose skin though.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated as much as possible. Drink minimum 8 glasses of water a day and MOISTURIZE!! Keep the skin hydrated. Maybe even do some research on good quality products! Also, if you are taking multi vitamins , supplements, make sure they do not dehydrate your body. If you notice your hair seems to look dry and unhealthy, or if your nails are brittle, skin is flakey, (etc!) , discontinue using those specific supplements and look for a better one. Good luck and congrats on the weight you lost already!!! :D
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    I think part of it is genetics. (collagen and all that.)

But when I first had my son, I went from 228 (or more, I seriously stopped weighing....) down to 136. I was saggy a good long while and just accepted it. Then one day I saw a picture and went..... wait.....no sag! oO I think your skin may take way longer to shrink or whatever it does than it takes to lose weight. After all, your entire body regenerates itself over several years, so maybe its just a waiting game in combo with your genetics. I have heard building muscle underneath that skin also helps. Thats what I did, and plan to do again since I apparently had so much fun losing all that weight years ago that I decided to do it again. *sarcastic* =)

But I am also older now, so there is a good chance my collagen just isn't what it used to be. And you know what, I am ok with that. I have spent the last 5 years hating, hating, hating this weight, so if I can get rid of it, I will either accept the sag or start saving to minimize it surgically in the awkward places. =)
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That's a problem for me. I had over 200 lbs to loose. I've lost 161 of that and I have a lot of skin. Of course I was HUGE!!! I'm hoping I can get my Dr. to recommend it be removed so my insurance will cover it.