Eliptical Issues

Options
Alright, so I've had my eliptical machine for a few years now. I have a bad knee (multiple dislocations), so it's easier than running for me. The issue I have is that I don't think its 'reading' correctly.
It has several measurments: Time, distance, speed, calories, and fat cals
I know the time is right, it ticks away as it should
The distance and speed are what I don't think is right. To get to a distance of 1.0 (it doesnt say if its miles, I just assume), it takes me 20+ minutes. I've NEVER needed more than 10 minutes for a mile, even at my worst. The speed stays around 2.8 - 3.0, which also seems really slow, since I'm not walking when I'm on this thing.
Th reason this bothers me if that if the distance is wrong, maybe the calorie count is too. 35-38 minutes read 320 cals and 100 fat cals. MFP says 400+ for that time. I've been going with the lower number, but anyone know what I should do (aside from getting a new eliptical)?

Replies

• onyxaj
    onyxaj Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • MisterRich93
    MisterRich93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got home from a 35 minute elliptical exercise at the gym. I am a male, 5'6" and weigh 190 lbs. The machine said I burned 335 calories. I find that myfitnesspal vastly overestimates calories burned on the elliptical.
  • Slenderizing
    Slenderizing Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel silly asking but what does it mean when someone posts " bump"? I have seen this on a few posts and curious.
  • Sheenamarie7
    Sheenamarie7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do 35 minutes on the eliptical on a pretty regular basis, about 5 times a week. I am 205lbs and 5'8" and it is always right around 400 cals according to HRM. The distance sounds off. I usually am doing about 2.5-3 miles in that time. Hope you can figure out whats wrong with the machine or just get a HRM and measure that way. Good luck!
  • manyhats
    manyhats Posts: 13
    Options
    I am pretty new here but I think it means- Bring Up My Post, so you can read it later when you have time :)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Get and wear an HRM. Much more accruate than the machines and MFP.
  • Slenderizing
    Options
    I am pretty new here but I think it means- Bring Up My Post, so you can read it later when you have time :)

Thank you
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Pretty much, but not that specific. It just brings topics back to the recent topics. People sometimes do that when someone else posts something can't help with, but they also want to see people's feedback on.
  • josimmons521
    Options
    I agree, get a heart rate monitor...all machines are different and are usually way off.
  • Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM... There was a huge difference in calories burned from what the machines and myfitnesspal stated for me on the elliptical and other machines at the gym. Some people would say myfitnesspal overestimates or underestimates and same goes for the machines for them upon getting an HRM. It all depends on the people, their weight, height and all that other stuff that you will input into the HRM system. PolarFT4 & PolarFT7 seem to be the more popular ones on the market. I have a FT7 and love it. Ran about $90 for me. You can also go online to amazon or ebay and look for ones that are cheaper. Walmart has a selection to for around $50. It's all a matter of different strokes for different folks on the machines and myfitnesspal but having an HRM with your stats should have better estimates because its based on your heart rate which is being monitored the whole time.

I hope this helps :)
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options

The distance and speed are what I don't think is right. To get to a distance of 1.0 (it doesnt say if its miles, I just assume), it takes me 20+ minutes. I've NEVER needed more than 10 minutes for a mile, even at my worst. The speed stays around 2.8 - 3.0, which also seems really slow, since I'm not walking when I'm on this thing.

Th reason this bothers me if that if the distance is wrong, maybe the calorie count is too. 35-38 minutes read 320 cals and 100 fat cals. MFP says 400+ for that time. I've been going with the lower number, but anyone know what I should do (aside from getting a new eliptical)?

There is a way to figure out the stride of your machine and then figure out the distance based on stride. I think it was on the Live strong site

On my machine it takes about 1700 strides to equal 1 mile. I usually end up around 1000 strides for my 20min pre-set track. So that means on the elliptical I am only "walking" a bit over 1/2 mile in 20mins but I know I walk 3.5 miles/hr on my walks. It says I burn about 250 calories for this which is pretty consistent with MFP.

"Calories burned" on the machine should also dependent on the tension you have the machine set at. So if you have higher tension you burn more in less strides. I also don't think MFP takes into account your weight, the more you weigh the more you will burn in the same time.

I have no clue on "fat burned" as my machine doesn't have this :happy: Just remember everything is an estimate...we just do the best we can!
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical a lot. I go in manual mode and at around 150strides a minute, 212 pounds, it says I burn a bit over 10 calories a minute. If I go a bit faster, I find it says I burn around 400 calories in 35 minutes. My girlfriend can burn a lot more, but she does high resistance (which I don't because of my knees as well). So your numbers don't sound off unless you are doing it with a lot of resistance. MFP always tells me bogus numbers that assume I'm burning close to 18 calories a minute - which would only be true if I was going crazy at high resistance. It sounds right. Also, I find in 35 minutes at around 160 strides, it says I go a bit over 2.5 miles.
  • Slenderizing
    Options

Pretty much, but not that specific. It just brings topics back to the recent topics. People sometimes do that when someone else posts something can't help with, but they also want to see people's feedback on.

Thanks!
  • tlnortontoth
    tlnortontoth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • onyxaj
    onyxaj Posts: 17
    Options
    From what I read, it seems that my machine is estimating pretty accurate on calorie burn, but I may look into getting a HRM. I use a little resistance, which I guess can explain why it seems to take me longer to go 1 mile that it would running normally.
    One more question though, if I do decide to get a new eliptical (this one is pretty loud), anyone have a suggestion? I know cheap and good don't really go together, but I wouldnt mind spending a bit more from something a little more silent.