How to stop late-nite eating

Options
I do great eating through out the day and meet my calorie and nutrition goals. However, I currently work 3pm-10pm with a 6pm dinner break for 30minutes. When I get home at 10:30pm I can't seem to win over on that feeling of wanting to "feel full".

At 10:30pm I end up eating what my husband made the kids for dinner and that puts me 300-400 calories over my daily goals. Then I go to bed with a full stomach.

I just wrote myself a letter saying I wanted to stop this habit. Does anyone have any helpful tips for me? Have you gone through the same thing and been able to break the habit?

Replies

• Patt0232
    Patt0232 Posts: 2
    Options
    When I worked the night shift, I ate my biggest meal when I woke up (supper time). Then I had three meals spread out throughout the work day (one at each break). Most mornings (my evening), I was eather too tired to eat, or still full from my meals at work. But now that I work days, I try to drink lots and lots of fluids. Most of the time when I am hungry, I am either eating out of boardom or I just thirsty. Is there anyone there with you at home to eat with when you get up? If so, make an effort to eat with them as your main meal. Or sometimes, I have found that what I really want is the taste of something, so I just have tea or eat spices w/o salt (not much, just something to taste). I think it's like chewing gum only without the gum.
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    I feel your pain. I do great with my calories during the day, but at night I crave that full feeling, and I eat until I'm well over my limit as well. The only thing that helps me is to keep busy. If I'm sitting in front of the TV, I will overeat. But if I can keep my hands occupied, I won't overeat. And I have a no food in bed rule. I hope this is helpful for you.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Tell him to not make leftovers and go to bed when you get home.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    At 10 pm, eat a cheesestick (80 cals), brush your teeth with some strong minty toothpaste, and go to bed.

Wake up 30 minutes earlier, make a good breakfast, be on time for wherever you have to go, and enjoy the day. Repeat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat at night. My DD and DW go to bed and I watch DVR'd shows that I like and eat while watching. What I do to offset it is skip breakfast. I eat till 1am a lot, so I'm not hungry in the morning. I eat my first meal around 1pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah, I eat late every night. just have a light breakfast to save some extra calories and then hit the gym to earn some more.
  • kristin2700
    Options
    I love this!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Buy some casein protein powder and have a shake when you get home. Casein is slow digesting so will help you feel satisfied longer.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem for a long time. Its even worse now that I am in college and get home after 9pm. I usually have a cup of hot tea and caramel or chocolate mini-rice cakes. Then I tell myself what ever I am craving I will have it for breakfast.
  • GREEN TEA, Drink it!

1. It tastes amazing
    2. Has NO calories
    3. Fills you up
    4. Has antioxidents
    5. Counts to your water intake

Overall it's awesome :-)
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I eat late at night all the time it hasn't worked against me at all, however, I stay within my daily intake and if it's after midnight I log that as the "next" day. Maybe change your meals a little bit so that you are still able to eat when you get home but still stay under your goal.
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Eat more protein, drink lots of water, and go to sleep early! :--D
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The best way to conquer a habit is to KNOW ABOUT IT and PREPARE. Like going into battle.

For example, if you KNOW you always want something to eat after you get off work, then SAVE ROOM in your daily goal for it at the end of the day. Even plan out what it is going to be (something healthy!) so your brain knows what it is and doesn't get too crazy. It can be a full meal or a little snack, but PLAN IT. Don't put yourself in a losing situation where you have ate up all your cals for the day but have alot of time left to your evening.

If you REALLY don't want to eat anything, give yourself something else like hot tea like another poster said. But I wouldn't try to quit cold turkey with eating late, especially to start out with.:ohwell:

You have to outsmart your brain! It takes willpower, it takes work, but you CAN do it! :smile:
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This is stupid, and probably the worst advice I've ever given...but brush your teeth! haha! It works for me! If I have a late night craving, and have already brushed my teeth, I'm like "well....I don't want to have to brush them again..."

Probably doesn't work for everyone...maybe just me....but it keeps me from munching on things late at night.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat late at night all of the time, because many nights I don't get home from the gym until after 9 PM. I just eat light during the day, and save the calories for the night. That way when I'm hungry after working out I have plenty of calories to spare. Many nights I eat dinner at 11. I've always kind of been a night person, so its normal for me.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Buy some casein protein powder and have a shake when you get home. Casein is slow digesting so will help you feel satisfied longer.

I had also read that casein before bed was good for late hunger, so when I crave something late I'll have a cup of vanilla greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I feel satiated, and I've consumed more protein and very few carbs, plus it helps me sleep.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This is stupid, and probably the worst advice I've ever given...but brush your teeth! haha! It works for me! If I have a late night craving, and have already brushed my teeth, I'm like "well....I don't want to have to brush them again..."

Probably doesn't work for everyone...maybe just me....but it keeps me from munching on things late at night.

This is not stupid, nobody wants to rebrush their teeth because they ate a stupid cookie. It works for me (usually).
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    << AM ALWAYS HEARING ITS BAD FOR YOU TO EAT BEFORE YOU SLEEP, BY THE TIME I GET HOME FROM THE GYM ITS AROUND 830, 9 AND THATS WHEN I EAT MY DINNER IS IT BAD TO SLEEP SHORTLY AFTER?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I totally understand...That schedule is similar to my husband's. He declines to eat, though, 'cause it makes him feel less energetic in the morning.

Are you able to get ready for bed and go to bed? Or, are the children still up, kitchen needs straightening, lights on...etc? See if you can begin to think of ways for you and your family to adjust things... so you are able to take a shower and go to bed.

To support your mood, etc, in the effort to not eat, you might try an herbal appetite suppressant, like hoodia extract (get a reputable brand, as I hear they can be bogus). I liked hoodia, and noticed it worked very well, especially after a few days of taking it. Take it throughout the day, and just before you leave work.

Blessings to you and your family,

:)MinMin
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great question. I suffer from the same weakness. The only anser I have found is to get totally obsessed with tracking your calories on MFP. After you eat late enter it in. After a while it tends to kill your need to indulge.