What weight is most likely to have skin hanging after?

Options

Replies

• suthrnladey
    suthrnladey Posts: 36
    Options
    I think its mostly genetics. My father had a gastric bypass and went from 300+ to 180, and he was 60 years old at the time. He exercised regularly and ate within the recommended limits. He has no loose skin--he's 6'3" so 180 is on the small side for his height.
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I did alot of research on this subject and came away with a few bits of knowledge.

Probably not a good idea to lose weight in an extremely fast pace

Drink H2o

Exercise - I want to be able to lose my 100lbs and have a perfect abdomen like some of the women on this site. Eeehhh ain't gonna happen so I gotta exercise.

I've read in several places (on here and else where) that you cannot "target" belly fat to get rid of it. I agree with that so make sure you don't fall for some weird exercise or supplement aimed @ belly fat.

I've heard and seen very good success stories where their belly is just fine. Don't get overloaded with tons of advice just focus on losing the weight and getting healthy and fit. Exercise is becoming my best buddy :)
  • BrionaLoree
    BrionaLoree Posts: 45
    Options
    i am very young, so does this mean that my skin has a good chance of not being too saggy? cause this scares me very very much. i drink lots of water, and use lotion. but what should i do to tone? like what exercises?
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lb and less than four months. That seemed to be quick, but I did it eating well and exercising. I do have
    some loose skin but I also had 2 c-sections. The rest of my stomach looks fine and I should be able to hide the
    rest with clothing . I am 45 anyway no one needs to see my belly. Make sure you do strength training not just cardio for
    exercise that will help with the toning. Just so you know I started my jouryney at 215lbs.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/5-steps-to-lose-excess-skin-without-surgery/

i dont have any yet but i figure i probably will when im done...i dont know how well the tips there work but worth a try, eh?
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Lost 165 pounds so far and just have some around my left and right side. I had more loose skin under the arms but is gradually getting better all the time.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120lbs and seem to be doing ok I have still got some more to lose though I've just been using Nivea skin firming lotion with Q10 and it seems to help I also have herd it goes back with time :)
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've had the belly flap thing /cries for about 24 years now ...I have major fears its going to get worse but the one thing that keeps me going is knowing the surgery will be covered for health reasons and my total loss will be just over 100lbs. Of course the surgery scares me too but I have big ambitions to be a runner and I do not want that flapping in the wind :noway:
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    There are many factors that will determine if you have a lot of sagging skin at the end of your weight loss ... how much you lose, how long you were overweight, if you ever were a smoker, if you yo-yo dieted in the past, your age, how quickly you lose the weight, sun damage, and MOST IMPORTANT ... genetics.

I believe that genetics is the number one factor. I am 61-years-old, I have lost 117 pounds, and I have very little sagging skin. I did have some sagging skin in the beginning; however, it can take up to 2 years for your skin to "bounce back" (if it is ever going to) and it only happens with lots and lots of hard work. I have a friend that is in her early 20s, she lost 30 pounds and she has lots of sagging skin. I believe genetics is the biggest factor in determining your outcome.

That being said, getting to a healthy weight (excess skin issues or not) is sooooo worth it. There are wonderful techniques the doctors can do today to help you if you should have skin issues after your weight loss. Good luck!
  • Bnwillia1
    Bnwillia1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is one of my major concerns. I worked with a lady who had the surgery to lose weight. She wore a size 22 dress. She now wears a size 12 but has no excess skin on her stomach. She does have it on her upper arms though. I need to lose approx. 45 lbs. and seem to have some loose skin here. I hope toning will take care of it.
  • sfjohnson16
    sfjohnson16 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My advice is quite a bit of strength, weight, and cardio training on your journey and that should help tone you up. :)
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I kind of figure that when I reach my goal, that I will have some - especially since I have had 2 c-sections.

But - I don't give a crap. I'll still look a heck of a lot better than I do now.

Ditto!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've lost 83 in 7 months, and haven't had any sagging yet.

Then again, I work out like a maniac.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 lbs, and I have some. It's a bummer! Standing up, it's only a tiny bit noticeable, but when I'm in a plank position it hangs down. I think it's getting better since I started doing pilates two days a week (I do yoga the other days). The things that I think caused it are 1. I have had a baby, even though I only gained about 30 lbs with the pregnancy, and 2. I think maybe I lost the weight too quickly.
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for encouraging responses! I've been worried about this too but agree it is better to have sagging skin over the extra weight.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Always put vitamin E lotion on the area. usually stomach area... the tighter the clothing in the area the better chance for less sagging:)
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    Thats what I did, and plan to do again since I apparently had so much fun losing all that weight years ago that I decided to do it again. *sarcastic* =)

I almost spit my water out when I read this. Hilarious! I'm going to start saying that about my losses, gains and losses again.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have lost over eighty pounds and am still aiming to lose 10-15 more. I started to develop loose skin on my lower stomach, the backs of my arms, and my lower thighs once I had lost around 60 pounds. As my weight loss has slowed down over the past several months (now losing 3-5 pounds/month instead of the initial 10-15/month) and as I have incorporated weight training into my routine, I can already see that my skin is starting to tighten up. Don't worry too much about it- I think as long as you are not just doing cardio, but also incorporating some strength training, you will be fine.
  • CaSome11
    CaSome11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'd post a pic of my stomach, but I don't want to scare anyone into deciding it's better to just stay fat. LOL

Seriously, this was a huge concern for me too...even an excuse for a bit, but now that it's just a fact of my life, it's just not the big deal I thought it would be. It sucks, but it just is...ya know? If my loose skin (and trust me it's everywhere) is the price I pay for the amazing difference this has made in my life, it is SO TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Drink your water, use your lotion, and don't let it hinder your journey.

I like your attitude! This was a concern of mine too. I've lost 43 lbs, 30 of it pre-MFP and I have noticed a tiny bit of sag already. :grumble:
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs those past 22 months. I've been working out with a personal trainer for the last 17 months, which slowed down my initial weight loss.
    He told me that my skin might shrink completely, I might not necessarily keep hanging skin around. With the emphasis on "might".
    So far I've noticed hanging skin under my arms, between armpits and bra. My stomach still is ok, and above my knees I can see excess skin developing, but not disturbing me yet.
    I still want to lose 33lbs ( that was my initial goal), and I will be working out with my personal trainer for this. He makes me do cardio and strength training, nicely balanced and slightly pushing me to do more, do faster, lift heavier etc.
    I know I don't look fine in a bikini right now, but I can hide excess skin under my clothes and look fine when dressed. I think that's a lot better than still be big without excess skin!!!
    I'll workout and give my skin a lot more time, eventually it may shrink so that one day I'll look fine in a bikini too.