Generally speaking, how long does a plateau last?

Options
Just curious how many days [or weeks or months] did your plateau last, especially if you are no where near your healthy weight goal.

Replies

• ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Plateaus last as long as you want them to. By changing things up regularly (food & exercise) you shock your body to the next level, whatever that is. Feel free to add me.
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Girl....a plateau can last a while. I've been on a plateau pretty much since February but I haven't been doing anything until recently to change it. Now the scale is beginning to move again slowly.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192
    Options
    I was stuck on 173 until I changed my lunch to a green drink and started tracking my food here. It's what worked for me.

Edit: Stuck for about 5 months.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As long as you allow it to :)

If you've plateau'd, you've gotta make some changes to kick the scale or kick the measurements into action.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mine lasted about 7-8 weeks. If you are looking for ideas, check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less on here. They have a lot of great information.

Good luck on your journey. If you are looking for more friends, feel free to add me. I'm still looking to lose another 60 lbs.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Mine lasted 7 weeks. It wasn't a complete stop but I slowed way down (1/2 lb per week). I finally had to lower carb it to kick back up to where I was.
  • ceaton80
    ceaton80 Posts: 37
    Options
    I was stuck for about 3 weeks. Went on a golf trip, drank beers and tried to stay on track with eating but know I didnt. Came back to the scale on Monday and lost weight! Lost about 7lbs in the next 4 weeks after :)

Go Golfing! LOL
  • constancemwj
    constancemwj Posts: 290
    Options
    it's true, as long as you let it. I'm going on almost a year. (at least I wasn't gaining eather). 2 months ago I got tired of being stuck and finally changed my workout, and do 2 shorter workouts per day in stead of one and finnally started loosing again. I think I'm finally past it, if I can keep it up. the scerate is to never stop trying...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, it has to be at least 6 weeks before it even is a plateau, and then from there, it's as long as you let it last.

I'll be brutally honest, a plateau means one thing. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. Overestimating calorie burns, underestimating calories eaten, overestimating TDEE, one of those numbers is off. If you aren't losing weight, it's because you aren't at a deficit.

And if all of those numbers are perfectly accurate, and you still aren't losing weight, then you most likely have a medical issue and should probably see a doctor.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    thanks...i thought it was only 6 weeks, but looking at my logs its actually been 8 weeks...i have joined the mentioned group. I have changed calories, eating habits, and switched workouts...its not working. I figured it would be a challenge, but i didn't think it would be THIS hard, especially since i am SO far from any type of healthy weight...i dunno...my doctor is referring me to an endocrinologist to see if i have Cushings Syndrome...but its just so frustrating to be trying so hard and not seeing any difference. I workout 5x per week for an hour. And thats up from only 3x per week when i stopped losing. and actually ive gained weight in the last week...go figure. I take measurements and those havn't changed sine, either. Neither has clothing size.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, a plateau is actually defined as 6 weeks of no loss with no change in calories or exercise. If you're constantly changing things around, there's no way to know what the problem is.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    Ive only just switched calories this last weekend So that would have been at 7 weeks. and now its been almost 8. And i switched workouts at the end of 6 weeks.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you've recently upped your calorie intake, it may take a few weeks to begin losing again. It was a good month for me.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    :frown:
  • catrinawaters
    Options
    I'm not losing as fast I was, so I'm going to try a detox. It's been almost two years since I've done one of those. That should help clean out the system, along with drinking a lot of water to help remove those extra toxins. Afterward, I'm going to try eating a more natural diet. I think it'll help a lot. "Whole body cleanse" is a great, inexpensive and easy to use detoxing product. Best wishes to you and I hope you break out of your plateau soon! =)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Detoxes are 100% unnecessary. By design, the body 'cleanses' itself. The detox makers have convinced the general public to PAY to undergo detoxes and it doesn't do anything more than your body does naturally! If it makes you feel better, that's great. All it would do for me is lighten my already light wallet :P
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    I just wanted to update this thread.About 4 weeks after posting this topic I started Weight Watchers online. I also used MFP bc i love the community here (you guys rock!). Immediately I was able to lose 1lb per week (i was breastfeeding so couldn't lose 2-3lbs bc it's not recommended while nursing). Looking back now, i think half the problem was exercising. I know that sounds crazy, but what i think was happening was between nursing AND exercising I was getting TOO much of a deficit and so my body just wanted to hold onto everything. Once I stopped exercising, thats when i started losing weight (i actually stopped bc i injured my foot and was out for a good 12 weeks over it). I thought this was bc of WW (and maybe it was) but im pretty sure there was just too much of a calorie loss between nursing AND exercising. Either way i followed the WWO program for nursing moms and besides taking care of the kids (lots of running around with two young ones!) I was able to lose almost 25lb and about 1-2lbs per week (usually 1lb). As i said im not sure if that was WW or if that was simply loosing too many calories, i dont know, but i figured i would update. I am expecting again, so wont be able to lose any weight but im really looking forward to getting back on the wagon and especially love the community here. I will probably do weight watchers again, but im def sticking around here bc you guys are awesome and inspiring.