Whey protein

Options
Obviously it's good for bulking up :) but I've heard it is good for weightloss too? How?

I've only ever really looked upon it as something used by bodybuilders

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There is whey protein in milk too and other things too, but I am going to assume you are talking about protein powders (the main ones being whey and casein). There is nothing special about the whey protein powder. One would recommend you stick to food mainly for long term adherence purposes, but if you need the powder to hit your daily protein goal, then go for it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It is a low calorie way to hit your protein goals. I drink a shake every morning for breakfast so I don't eat something not good for me like cereal.

Protein keeps you full longer than carbs do and also you need enough protein to rebuild muscles if you exercise a lot.
  • prettyxpetite
    prettyxpetite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yep! I was talking about the powders

I'm always way below my protein goals, I've yet to hit them once. Are the bars any good?

I've recently started exercising quite a bit.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    "Good" for what what? It's the same answer, if the bars help you reach your protein goal, then they are "good". Protein is protein.
    Although as I said, it would be ideal for you stick to real food, mainly for long-term adherence purposes.

If you're going to take whey protein, you can take it around your workouts, as it is fast-digesting (as opposed to casein).
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Also, if you like, you can read this for more information that you probably ever cared to know about protein sources.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-digestibility.html
  • prettyxpetite
    Options
    Awesome thanks for all your help :)
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    a study that a professor of mine was involved in pitted two groups of obese participants against each other. one that just did physical activity, and a group that did physical activity and consumed whey protein. there were no other changes to their diets. the group that consumed the whey protein had greater losses around their midsections than did the group that did not consume the protein.

Baer, D.J., Stote, K.S., Paul, D.R., Harris, G.K., Rumpler, W.V., and Clevidence, B.A.. Whey protein but not soy protein supplementation alters body weight and composition in free-living overweight and obese adults. J Nutr. 2011;141(8):1489-94
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I drink a whey protein isolate and almond milk shake each morning after my workout with a light breakfast. My weight loss slowed a bit, but I am definitely still losing a few lbs each week, so I'll keep it up because I love them and it's a quick, easy protein source.
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just started adding protein powder to my diet because my protein was low and there are only so many eggs I can eat in a day. I chose Vega because someone recommended it and he is really into high quality products, etc. Unfortunately, it tastes horrific. I wish I went with Jay Robb, that tasted so much better. I mixed that with my Shakeology & it was so good. The Vega, ruined my shake!

For those of you who use whey protein powder, which brand/flavor do you like?
  • prettyxpetite
    Options
    I was looking at Matrix, anyone got anything bad or good to say about it?
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The powders tend to be cheaper than the bars.
    Some bars also tend to be loaded with sodium and carbs while not getting very high on the prtein.
    As always read the labels and check the prices.
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! I take "designer whey" protein - The Biggest Loser stuff. it is only 40 calories, compared to some of the others (muscle milk as an example) that have over 100 calories per serving! I need the protein to recover from the workouts I do 6 days a week now. But I don't really want all the extra calories, as I prefer to actually EAT those. lol

I found the Biggest Loser designer Whey protein at Safeway (grocery store) for about 9 bucks for a week supply.
    I have lost about 3 pounds this week.

Hope this helps ;-)
    23329547.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Your digestive system can have trouble digesting large amounts of whey protein (it starts gumming up your colon), so I started using half servings except for after workouts.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I buy the cheap vanilla Archer Farms stuff from Target. It is delicious on it's own (in milk), OR....

You can mix milk (1 cup) + whey (1 scoop) + coffee (6 oz) + coffee flavoring syrup (like Torani sugar-free french vanilla; 1 tbsp) and pour it over ice. It's an iced coffee, but it's also a protein shake. Pure. Awesomeness.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just started adding protein powder to my diet because my protein was low and there are only so many eggs I can eat in a day. I chose Vega because someone recommended it and he is really into high quality products, etc. Unfortunately, it tastes horrific. I wish I went with Jay Robb, that tasted so much better. I mixed that with my Shakeology & it was so good. The Vega, ruined my shake!

Gina, I like Syntrax Nectar Sweets. I add a teaspoon of unsweetened dutch cocoa powder to the chocolate flavor because it's a little too sweet for me. This keeps me from craving sugary chocolate milk and ice cream shakes!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options

Vega is good, but you are right, it is disgusting. Get rid of the Jay Robb garbage; It has some bad stuff (aspartamine, I think) Go for Optimum Nutrition or Allmax.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am NO expert in Protein Powders or supplements to your diet/exercise regimen, so take my input with a grain of salt, K?

I don't think Protein Powder/Whey Protein can make you lose weight FASTER, but It is a good way to in cooperate another means of attaining your Protein Daily Intake. if you cannot meet it with food alone. I think the conception of "losing weight" is based on the fact, if you add a few ingredients to the Protein Powder, you have a meal supplement or replacement - or a filler, and generally Protein along with carbs aid in keeping you full, thus keeping you from over indulging in other things (sugary, fatty etc).

I myself have been having a few Protein Replacement Shake as my breakfast meal, mainly time-constrictions and i've been feeling ill as of late.. I had one today in fact, though it was hard to stomach, not because it didn't taste good but i've been fighting nausea for a week +.

My Shake consisted of:

1 1/4 Scoop of Protein Powder, Optimum Gold Standard Whey, Banana Creme
    6 or 7 Ice-Cubes
    1 Banana (Frozen is best, for thickness and texture)
    2 handfuls of Spinach (it made it a funky Green, you CANNOT, I repeat - CANNOT taste the Spinach).
    1 cup (8oz) 1% Milk (You can use Skim, Water, Yogurt - whatever)

That is a nice way to average over 40g of protein, while getting some nutrients, potassium, etc.

The thing with most Whey Protein, is I think (remember, grain of salt here - no expert) it's a "fast acting" source, so it feeds your muscles/body quickly, which is why (I think, again salt) there is the "Casein Protein" which apparently is a slow digesting Protein, keeping you fuller longer, satiating your muscles after a workout and a good day starter, or maybe perhaps night as your muscles recover through your REM.

Again.. I don't think it could help you "Lose weight" necessarily, maybe keep hunger at bay if it's protein+filler, or a slow digesting one.. but I think it's source is basically to help you meet your daily goals, and also help replenish the body if you're doing weight-lifting or whatever.

As for Protein Bars.. I hear alot of things, most are filled with sugar and candy in a sense - they're like a chocolate bar, labelled "healthy", in no way am I saying decisively that they ALL are, just what I have heard from the grape-vine-of foods.. But I think if you took it upon yourself to make your own batches with Nuts, or Oatmeal, and Apple Sauce.. Protein Powder you can make your own and using MFP's Recipe Calculator to see what actual benefits you're getting in the nutrient breakdown and protein..

my 2 cents.. super long.. 2 cents..

(Oh ps. Also, I have bought a few brands of Whey Protein Powders, my favourite by far is "Optimum Gold Standard" from Bodybuilding.com Store, flavours I see rated highly are: Mocha (I love), Chocolate Peanut Butter ( love), Banana Creme(cream? I forget- Love, using) Strawberry (nasty IMO) Chocolate Mint (never tried), Coffee (JUST bought today, saving 10% on my order to Canada using the coupon code: ELLIPTICAL10)
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 7 or 8 grams before every meal. I believe it slows the insulin spike.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The powders tend to be cheaper than the bars.
    Some bars also tend to be loaded with sodium and carbs while not getting very high on the prtein.
    As always read the labels and check the prices.

Personally I like the Detour and ProMax low sugar protein bars (available at BJ's, and Sam's, typically around a buck a bar). They do have carbs, but there's a lot of fiber in them (the ProMax LS are 18g total carbs, 14g of which are fiber), so the net carbs (for those that "do that") is pretty low. Be careful, tho, these bars have more calories than your average snack/granola bar, so make sure you're logging appropriately. The Detour LS bars are around 170 calories each, the ProMax bars are 220-230. There's some at GNC that are full-blown meal replacements, and they hover around 400 calories each! Granted, you get about 40g of protein in them, but damn!

I had heard really good things about, and hence tried for myself, the Syntha-6 protein powders. I have the Strawberry milkshake one and it's delicious. Syntha-6 is a blend of whey and casein, so there's quick-absorbed protein (whey) and long-digesting protein (casein) in each serving. Typically I mix it into my oatmeal in the morning. Since I've started using it, I feel like I have a more even energy level throughout the morning, not just right after I eat. Personally I think that's the biggest gain I've seen in the few months I've been supplementing protein. I feel more energetic for a longer time.

I've also been using GNC's Beyond Raw Re-Feed powder in the evening after I work out. It's supposedly got an herbal relaxer in it and is supposedly blended to help aid/speed muscle recovery. It's casein protein with little or no whey. I can't say that it was worth the little bit extra for the herbal junk that's supposedly in it, and once it runs out I won't get it again.
  • erneseeter
    erneseeter Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm not an expert at this stuff at all but my naturopath recommended Metagenics UltraMeal Whey and I love it. Not only is it a relatively low calorie option (140 cals per serving) with 15 grams of protein, it's also a really great multivitamin.

I use one serving of UltraMeal, 5 frozen strawberries, a quarter cup of frozen blueberries, a few frozen peach slices, 5 ice cubes and a splash of water (I used to use apple juice until my naturopath made me swear off fruit juice) - toss them all in the blender and that's breakfast. All for under 250 calories. Plus it tastes fantastic!