frustrated!

Options
I have been sticking religiously to my allowed calories and have been exercising (30 minutes elliptical) everyday. Yet for the last 3 weeks I haven't lost a single pound. During my first 3 weeks I lost 11 pounds...now nothing!

I don't want to give up, but I am really frustrated with this. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking "what is the point?" whenever it is time to head to the gym :grumble:

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on sticking with it. :flowerforyou:

What is the point? Depends if this exercise is making you feel better, stronger, more energetic than before. If it is, there's a benefit right there.

You may see better weight loss results from switching things up. Bodies are amazing how they can adapt to whatever we throw at them. Maybe if you vary both your exercise routine and your eating you'll get over this plateau.

I was on a plateau for a few weeks, then went to Germany on my vacation and gained a few pounds. I managed to get rid of them, plus get off the plateau, by replacing some carbs with more protein. This may not work for everybody but it worked for me.
  • justamvic
    Options
    :happy:
    Hi....do not lose hope... sounds like you hit the notorious "brick wall"..... what you have to do is change up your workout, and push it a little bit more, or workout hard then slow, hard slow in the time period.
    your body is getting fit and "used" to its old workout, you have to "trick " it back into gear.
    Also, if you are consuming salt, try cutting it out a little, this adds on water weight .
    Do not lose hope you will make it over this wall!!!!! let me know how it goes!
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    I am feeling the same way!!! I lost 6 pounds, then now I weigh myself & nothing or a pound over???
    This whole week I've eaten really badly because of the # on that silly scale...
    I kind of wish I didn't have it in the house!:sad:
    But Today I thought maybe I'm gainning muscle? or I've eaten too much salt & It seems that i weigh more? because of all the water....
    This is how I have to live, "Healthy" Or I will just become an unhealthy Obese person!
    I have to work harder, No more excuses!!!, Who cares what the scale says, As long as I keep up with this great healthy food, & exercising every day!:flowerforyou:
    Oh boy It's easie to say then doing it!:laugh:
    Let's do this!
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have been sticking religiously to my allowed calories and have been exercising (30 minutes elliptical) everyday. Yet for the last 3 weeks I haven't lost a single pound. During my first 3 weeks I lost 11 pounds...now nothing!

I don't want to give up, but I am really frustrated with this. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking "what is the point?" whenever it is time to head to the gym :grumble:

The body is an amazing power plant. If you give it extra or if you take something away it adjusts over a short period of time. If you stave yourself, it will go into "starvation mode" and your metabolism will slow down, saving what you do eat as stores for later use. If you don't drink enough water it will store water from whatever source (their is a certain amount of water in the foods we eat). Same thing goes for excercise. After a short period of time the effect of what we do minimizes due tto the body adjusting to our routines.
    To combat that you need to change up your workouts, food intake (totals and kinds of foods) and how much water you drink.
    Make sure you are drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water, not soft drinks, a day. More if you are working out strenuosly.
    Eat a lot of lean proteins. They will fill you up without loading you up on calories.\
    And change your workouts occasionally. Maybe substitute the bike for the elliptical one week or combo the bike-elliptical-treadmill at times. The change will give your body what they call muscle confusion, enabling it to not plateau. I believe you will see a steady loss with that approach.
    Feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions. If Ican't answer them, there are plenty of other knowledgeable people on her that can.
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water during the day (completely cut out soda a few months ago). I actually just started doing the elliptical a week ago (before that it was walking everyday) so I don't think that my body has grown used to it or anything. The reason I changed to the elliptical was because that was my rationale also...thinking that my body had adjusted to walking and so I would do something different.