Request: Lunch ideas for work

Options
Chiran
Chiran Posts: 3
Hi everyone! I need some help from the community. I've started a new job and I need some healthy recipes for lunch, something I can either make on my day off or quickly make in the morning before I leave. At work I have a fridge, microwave, toaster and a toaster oven.

For the ingredients, I'm pretty open to most things. The only thing I won't eat is seafood, and eggs have to be minimal as I have an allergy to them. Aside from that, anything goes!

Replies

• bklarkow
    bklarkow Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you a leftover person. This is always my go to if in a hurry in the morning. Otherwise if you like variety. Individual pizzas are pretty easy to make with a toaster over especially helpful when watching what you are eating. You could use flat bread or Flat Out or english muffins as the base and then add what you want for toppings. For sauce you could make your own or try to find a low fat sauce. These are pretty good in a toaster oven. Another would be wraps but instead of a tortilla use lettece and whatever veggies you prefer. If you want chicken or steak you can warm the meat up in the microwave or have it cold. You can cook the meat ahead of time to save time. GOOD LUCK
  • jencornelius
    Options
    Veggie sandwiches are quick if you have your veggies sliced in advance. I sometimes add half a can of tuna for a good protein source. I alternate between Healthy Life bread (35 cals/slice), whole wheat tortillas, multi grain sandwich thins (100 cals/bun) and lavash bread (50 cals/serving). You can use lite mayo or salad dressing for added flavor.

Any type of marinated veggie salad is good b/c u prepare night before and it will taste better after sitting a while.
  • jencornelius
    Options
    Since you have a toaster oven you could do tortilla pizzas. I use whole wheat tortillas, 1 tbsp of pizza sauce, veggies and turkey pepperoni with a pinch of low fat mozzarella. My whole family loves them. Add a side salad and you have a well rounded meal. :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I pack a salad (spinach, grape tomatoes, feta) every day and pair it with a lean protein (Turkey, Chicken, Bean Burgers, Bean Salads) etc.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this falls under seafood for you, but this week I combined a can of tuna, an avocado, juice of half a lemon, shredded some carrots(I just used a cheese grater to shred them) and a little salt and pepper, put it on whole wheat bread and I have a yummy lunch! It was so filling, and I didn't need my afternoon snack.
  • JKellyMA
    JKellyMA Posts: 16
    Options
    whole wheat mini pita - with 3 tablespoons of roasted red pepper hummus, lettuce and tomato + plain greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup of no sugar added apple sauce (i like the flavored applesauce). it's an easy lunch and filling and only 300 calories.
  • steph813
    steph813 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dmannarino
    dmannarino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like salads with 3 bean salad, chicken breast, or kidney beans on it. I use several different types of canned soups in the winter. There are some healthy Chunky soups and also trader Joe's has a really good lental veggie soup. I also always keep a supply of lean cuisine, Kashi, or weight watcher's on hand as a back up and just throw them in the microwave. Most are under 300 calories.
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Stick with the salads. Avoid the processed carbs. You can always bring nuts from home
    Have you thought about making your own home made soup from home and bringing a portion of it to work? I was buying the TJ's soups for a friend in need, then started saving the containers. I looked at what they put in there (corn starch, preservatives), and decided just to make my own for him. Lot more healthy, and we know what is going in to begin with.

my 3Cents. Enjoy your healthy lunch.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of chicken salad that takes care of 3 lunches for the week:

1) 4oz chicken breast (boiled in water only and then shredded)
    2) Paprika
    3) One-third cup organic dried cranberries
    4) 10 pieces organic dried apricots, cut into little bits
    5) Half-cup cooked quinoa
    6) One-quarter cup shelled walnuts
    7) Half-cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt

Mix everything up. Refrigerate. There will be enough to fill six medium whole wheat tortillas. One serving for lunch = two tortillas.

Nutritional info per serving:
    597 calories
    74g carbs
    11g fiber
    22g fat
    25g protein
    800mg sodium

And you WILL be full. :smile:
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    BLTs on 8 grain bread, with turkey bacon and fat free mayo (make turkey at home and warm up at work). Load up with lettuce or spinach and tomatoes
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I second leftovers. Easiest lunch in the world. Cook once, eat twice. :wink: Oh, and you should totally Google bento boxes. Trust me, it's an addiction. A very tasty, pretty, healthy addiction.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Usually I bring leftovers - or something that I've cooked on the weekend specifically for lunch.
    This week it is a most delicous soup called Harira - it has lamb, chickpeas, lentils, tomato, saffron and other yummy stuff.

If I don't have leftovers, here's my other ideas:
    - salad - usually salad leaves with other veggies (cherry tomatoes, steamed broccoli or green beans) plus tuna (or chicken or any other meat we may have leftover).
    - tuna/apple salad - chopped up apple, celery, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach with half a tin of chilli tuna. If it needs a dressing I'll mix up a bit of natural yoghurt with lemon juice and a tiny bit of mustard.
    - baked potato or sweet potato with salad leaves and a small tin of baked beans (very quick!)
    - egg rollup - one or two eggs cracked into a little pan and stirred around til they are nearly scrambled, add in a handful of baby spinach leaves. When it's done, I rest a roti (or tortilla) on top for about 30 seconds to warm it up, then tip it upside down and roll up the egg/spinach in the bread. This is good hot or cold.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My go to lunches have now become
    albacore tuna salad pack 90 calories
    on sandwich thin breads 100 calories

All you need is a napkin and spoon.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump....looks like some tasty ideas! :)
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Healthy Choice entrees and I am very impressed. The have whole grains and lots of protein and vegetables and they are very fresh tasting. Also less sodium then some other choices out there.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    One of my favs is 2 tblsp of red pepper hummus on a la tortilla factory whole wheat tortilla with either 4 oz of grilled chicken or turkey. lots of fiber in this brand of tortilla and it is very filling and banana for fruit side...good luck!