fitted for running shoes?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has been properly fitted for running shoes. I know that it is really important to have the proper shoes but I am a baby and for some reason am nervous about going to get fitted!!

Replies

• lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You go in. They put you in a neutral shoe and have you run on a treadmill. They record your gait, play it f or you, then you try on a variety of shoes until you get one that works. It's not hard. It's not scary. It's totally worth the effort.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did! It was great. They were super helpful and patient, and answered all my questions. I must have tried at least 7 pairs of shoes until I found the right ones. They even let me run outside in them.

Do it.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have done it many times and its really no big deal. It is totally worth it to have the proper shoes to run in, especially if your injury prone!!
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I've not been fitted for running shoes but I have had my foot sized for work shoes. It's not bad, the people that fit your foot do it for a living so unless you are rude to them or they are having a horrible day it shouldn't be that nerve racking.

Good shoes are very important. I loved finding good shoes from Hush Puppies but that was years ago. I wish you luck on finding shoes and your goals.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    it's totally worth the time to do it. and totally easy. like the above poster said.. you run on a treadmill, then i had to stand on this thing that measured the arch or something to tell what type of foot you have... then you get to try on tons of shoes. :) which is NEVER a waste of time.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    One more thing: Don't be afraid to get ugly shoes. For real. If the perfect shoe is Barbie pink with neon green soles and electric yellow laces, you buy those things and wear them with joy.
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It is so very worth it. I found out that I have been buying the wrong size for YEARS. Only off by a half size, it has made a universe of difference in my running. Don't be afraid. They're friendly, and you will be so glad you did it.
  • supermodestmouse
    Options
    I THOUGHT I knew what I had to do, but then my feet and ankles started hurting when I would walk and run (and it had been a while). I went to my local RoadRunner Sports where they have you take your socks and shoes shoes off, run on a treadmill in your bare feet and record your run. Then they tell you what shoes will help you run better. I used that knowledge and found the shoes they suggested slightly used but half the price :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The guy I had watched me walk/run around the store without shoes on and then had me stand on one leg and balance. He diagnosed that I have somewhat flexible arches and helped me pick from shoes that would be better for my foot type. :) He took them ALL out and I tried them all on. :) It was a very pleasant and easy experience.

I bought both cross-trainers and running shoes. I will use them exclusively for working out only!
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    worth everything in the world to get fitted in the proper shoes!!! i will always be fitted now!:bigsmile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    You go in. They put you in a neutral shoe and have you run on a treadmill. They record your gait, play it f or you, then you try on a variety of shoes until you get one that works. It's not hard. It's not scary. It's totally worth the effort.

^This. Do this, at least for your first pair of good running shoes. After that, you'll know more about shoes and your own gait and how things work for you, so you can shop on your own...but it's a really good investment of your time and money to do this at the outset!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Just did it recently, and man! was it worth it. Most comfortable shoes I have ever worn in my life. I can actually run in them.

I tried running a short distance in another pair today and I could instantly feel the difference. My shins are still sore from it.
  • supermodestmouse
    Options
    One more thing: Don't be afraid to get ugly shoes. For real. If the perfect shoe is Barbie pink with neon green soles and electric yellow laces, you buy those things and wear them with joy.

When I used to run in high school, I hated the way they looked and the color, so I used a sharpie to go over some of them :) but yeah, you wear what you must :)
  • stunninS12
    stunninS12 Posts: 4
    Options
    I guess I'm just nervous because I'm kinda new to running and I don't wanna look like an idiot. Thank you for all the advice!!
  • thalentannon
    Options
    Everyone is new to something at some point. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

You saw my new shoes?! :laugh:
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just nervous because I'm kinda new to running and I don't wanna look like an idiot. Thank you for all the advice!!

Even an idiot looks smart to lesser idiots. Getting fit is more important.
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I just went this past week, best thing I ever did for myself.

I'm certainly no svelte running guru, I'm a beginner -- All the more reason to go!

I had been running in terribly old, ill fitting, shoes since I started back running and I've paid the price now by being sidelined with an injury.

It's worth doing!
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    Yep, everyone starts new!!! :) It's not a big deal and I'm SURE they get a ton of people coming in that have never ran a day in their life! Our store just watches you walk in a line and lets you try on shoes, watches you walk, asks questions about feel etc. Made a HUGE difference for me and soreness I was getting in my ankle/foot.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    spent two hours trying to find a shoe to walk in to no avail- my foot is too deep- very frustrating. anyone else have severe high arch? Suggestions? Been trying for years