Carbs - always over

Options
I'm having an issue getting my proper calories without going way over on my carbs. I don't eat meat, fish, or eggs. I'm not all that fond of cheese and can't stomach yogurt. Mostly what i eat are beans, fruits, veggies and whole grains.

My breakfast consists of fruits
My lunch a piece of whole grain toast w/ peanut butter and veggies
My dinner, 1 cup whole grain rice with lots of veggies, and fruit.

and i treat myself to a 100 cal ice cream days that i work out.

so my question is.....is it ok to be over on my carbs if their 'good carbs' mostly from fruits/veggies and the rest from whole grains?

Replies

• anthrochix
    Options
    where's your protein?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The only protein you are getting is from the beans. That is not nearly enough and you will lose muscle mass by not eating enough protein.

Add nuts and tofu to your eating plan to get more protein in your menus.
  • maricampomar07
    Options
    Try a protein shake in the morning or right after exercise, I drink Pure Protein it has 23g of protein in one serving. You can drink it with water, it has only 120 calories or drink it with low fat milk to boost protein even more. I think it will help you stay full longer than fruit and veggies.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    In addition, cut out some of the rice and eat beans like lentils, pinto beans, black beans. You probably 4-5 cups to meat your protein requirement since you don't eat meat. Do you drink milk? that could help with the protein some. Also adding protein powder to your ice cream or the milk will help
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    protein isn't the issue, i'm meeting my protein needs

the question is: is it ok to be over on carbs if their 'good carbs' from fruits, veggies and whole grains?
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    For example yesterday,

Cals: 1,217
    Carbs: 221 (went over by 52)

my fat was under but everything else was ok except the carbs its always way over like that. but like i said its mostly from fruits and veggies. i eat rice and a piece of bread and its brown bread and brown rice.

i should add, i also take flaxseed pills to help with protein
  • Snuffle_Wuffle
    Options
    Hi, I unfortunately used to do a highly restricted low carb diet and after getting very sick I decided to do some research on carbs. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Bad carbs would be things like white bread, junk food, cakes ect. These carbs are stored in the body and can make it easy to pack on pounds. Good carbs are actually needed by the body. It sounds like you are making healthy choices when it comes to carbs. As long as you are not going over because of junk food and empty carbs that have no real nutrient value you should be ok. I am not a professional but when I found out I was hypoglacemic and I had to have carbs that is what my doctor told me.