Dealing with medical issues...

Options
For those of you with serious medical problems that interfere with your fitness or nutrition, how do you deal with it? What gets you through the hard times?

Things are a little scary and stressful with me right now, and I could use some positive motivation from those of you dealing with medical issues who are still succeeding.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I had a double aneurysm, one of which ruptured a few years ago which landed me in the ICU for quite a while and lead to a bunch of other medical problems including a staph infection that progressed to osteomyelitis in my spine (bone infection).

I am positive that my fitness levels at the time was one of the reasons I survived the aneurysm and related risks/issue without permanent damage. So, just remember that the fact that you have been getting stronger and getting fitter has given you a 'leg up' in what you have going on.

There is one thing I would urge you to do (that I did not) - get back in the saddle as quick as you can. There are a lot of emotional issues with illnesses and medical problems that can have a downward spiral effect - the way to stop and reverse that is to try to continue that healthy lifestyle when you recover. It gives you back a sense of control that you often do not have when you have medical problems and, well, its good for your health and self image also.

Sorry - probably did not help - but just wanted to share my thoughts.

And good luck with everything
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf: That is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm facing a very real possibility of full blown open heart surgery. My fitness level now is definitely going to be an advantage in my favor if I have to have it, but it's still terrifying.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad you made it through alright :smile:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    oh sweetie... I don't have a story to share, but I have a really big hug for you! You are so kind and always supportive and inspiring everyone else, so hugs to you!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    oh sweetie... I don't have a story to share, but I have a really big hug for you! You are so kind and always supportive and inspiring everyone else, so hugs to you!

Thank you sweetie! :smile: I'm sure I'll be alright, just a little scared is all. Hopefully I won't have to have the surgery, but it's a scary thought.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You are very welcome.

And just remember that a women who lifts heavy has too much badassery not to get through it without flying colors.

Edited: I think my double negative is confusing - but you know what I mean!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    You are very welcome.

And just remember that a women who lifts heavy has too much badassery not to get through it with flying colors.

:laugh: I like that! I'll just tell the surgeon I'll punch him if he screws up! GRR... *flexes ladyguns*
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i know it's terrifying....i'm so sorry:frown:

i have not a had surgery so serious but i've had several hopitalizations and surgeries over the past 9 yrs....

i have more of a chronic lifelong illness....for as long as life lasts........
    my illness has affected my heart and a couple of the long term hospitalizations were for that very reason

so on some level i understand....i also went through this with my mom

it'll be okay
    just stay focused on health and fitness....like someone already said.....you're gonna need it for speedy recovery and hopefully a long life afterward.....:flowerforyou: i wish you the best and you'll be in my thoughts

also....i read your tag statement.....that is my advice....what you already tell yourself....make up your mind to never give up and you will not only survive this....but will come through it with flying colours
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    @whitehandlady: Thank you for sharing your story. It's good to see you getting through your condition and succeeding! :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't have any major medical issues, but recently I've been dragged down by a recurring series (a few months worth) of minor things like colds, coughs, tooth problems, gum problems etc. They are only small but have been hanging around long enough to make me lose my routine for exercise and eating well. I don't know if my strategies will work for the BIG things you have to deal with, but I'll share them anyway:

- keep logging food and exercise whether you like the numbers or not. When I'm not well I don't eat well, but I try to log it anyway. I find the accountability to myself makes me think twice about just how much chocolate I buy/eat.

- this one sounds a bit corny, but I decided that I was sick of being sick and that I was going to act like I was heathy even when I wasn't - the old "fake it till you make it" theory. Of course it's easier for me, with minor issues, to do this, but I ask myself: "would a healthy person stay in bed this morning or would they get up and exercise?". For some strange reason that makes me more likely to get up and go.

So, my advice is to stick to your routine as much as possible. I'm guessing you can't do all the exercise you want at the moment, but it would be really worth it to ask your doctor what you can do - and if he says "walk for 10 mins" then schedule that in and do it, just as you would for more "serious" exercise. Do what you can within the limits of your health, and know that every healthy decision you make is making your body (and mind) stronger and more able to cope with anything life throws at you.

And if this seems all too hard - then take some time out to feel sorry for yourself, console yourself with chocolate (if that's what you need to do) then log it and get back to being as healthy as you can under the circumstances.

I hope myn ramblings help just a little bit, and I wish you all the very best with whatever comes along.
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have kidney failure and am on dialysis while I wait for a donor kidney. Sometimes it can be hard to keep my mind off the negative, but I find taking good care of myself helps me remember I can do this and I will be alright. I just have to keep reminding myself I am a strong woman and I can handle anything. One day at a time. :-) I really subscribe to the fake it till you make it idea, do what you gotta do to make it through. Some days are worse than others (sometimes weeks!) but remembering the good stuff, the good things you do for your body and health helps. Plus talking to others about how fruatrating it all is and how stressful it is can really help.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I made a lifestyle change after a night of tears and fearing that I would never get the opportunity to meet any grandchildren my kids may have. My oldest child is 20 and she doesn't plan to start having children until her late 20s.

When I started this I didn't think I had any medical issues, at that time I wasn't aware of any. About 2 months into this (I'm at roughly 4 months now), I had some blood work done and I have cholesterol issues. My bad cholesterol is normal, but my good cholesterol is low enough that it needs to be treated.

It scares me, because I have a very strong family history of heart issues, but my motivation hasn't changed because my reasons for making positive changes hasn't changed.

I also have knee issues that limits me to low impact exercises. For the most part I walk, but I also use an exercise bike and am fine with it as long as I don't pedal like I'm in a marathon.

My biggest motivation throughout my life has been my children because my children have been what's most important to me. Some might think that I need to do it for me, but ultimately I am. I am making changes because I still have things I want to experience.

I hope that helps.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I have kidney failure and am on dialysis while I wait for a donor kidney. Sometimes it can be hard to keep my mind off the negative, but I find taking good care of myself helps me remember I can do this and I will be alright. I just have to keep reminding myself I am a strong woman and I can handle anything. One day at a time. :-) I really subscribe to the fake it till you make it idea, do what you gotta do to make it through. Some days are worse than others (sometimes weeks!) but remembering the good stuff, the good things you do for your body and health helps. Plus talking to others about how fruatrating it all is and how stressful it is can really help.

You are such a strong woman! I admire you for getting through what you're going through. Dialysis is a energy suck. My grandfather has to have it 3x per week, and it just drains him. I have incredible respect for what you're going through and admire your courage.

Talking about it does really help. The frustration I have is that I'm only 28. I feel kinda like a failure that my heart is not functioning at 28 years old, even though it's not my fault. It's just very irritating.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    First let me say, that I am here to hold your hand, every step of the way..I know that sounds corny, but am serious, you are an awesome woman, one I count one to cheer me up.:flowerforyou:

I have chronic problems, now 35+ surgeries. But, Like I've said, am just now starting to exercise.
    I've walked 3 day's, not in a row..without my walker or cane.

But, You..You are in serious stuff.:cry:
    .I will be praying for you..
    Nicolette
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    First let me say, that I am here to hold your hand, every step of the way..I know that sounds corny, but am serious, you are an awesome woman, one I count one to cheer me up.:flowerforyou:

I have chronic problems, now 35+ surgeries. But, Like I've said, am just now starting to exercise.
    I've walked 3 day's, not in a row..without my walker or cane.

But, You..You are in serious stuff.:cry:
    .I will be praying for you..
    Nicolette

:heart:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Thank you all for your sweet words and posts. I really appreciate the support, and I hope I don't come off as too whiny or weird for posting this. I just was hoping to hear from others through went through it or something similar.

I find out tomorrow morning if I have to have the surgery or not, and I'll update as soon as I can.

Thank you again to all who posted or sent a message. It really helped.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not whiney at all... that's big and scary stuff to deal with.
    Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Girl - whiney is complaining you have not lost any weight when you only started dieting 2 days ago. THIS is not whiney.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Crossing my fingers for your new kidney! Stay strong:)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My issues are minor next to what some of you are going through. Last year SUCKED for me:

In June I landed in the ER with a 14mm kidney stone. 2 days later they put a stent in. One end was coiled in my kidney, the other in my bladder. 2 days after THAT I had a lithotripsy--they basically pounded my kidney with sound waves. I peed blood for 2 days. A week later I found out that only half the stone was gone, so they scheduled a scope with laser to remove the rest. A week after THAT, they finally removed the stent. 3 weeks in total that I couldn't do much more than lay around and drink water. If I did more, the stent would irritate my bladder and the spasms would make me feel like my pelvis was going to fall out. Then I'd have to take a vicodin and a nap...

In mid -August I tripped in my garage and pulled my MCL in my knee AND knocked my hips out of alignment. I limped for 2 weeks because of the knee, and it took 5 weeks of chiropractic adjustments to be able to stand for more than 20 minutes without pain.

On Labor Day, I caught a cold, and it turned into an asthma flare and bronchitis. I basically had it for FOUR MONTHS. I would take antibiotics and steroids for 10 days, be off them for a few days or a week, then be back in the doctor's office coughing so hard I was turning purple and getting light headed. I ended up needing an asthma/allergy pill, and an inhaler to keep my lungs open. I also have a "rescue inhaler" that I use if I can feel my chest beginning to get tight, and if it is REALLY bad, I give myself a breathing treatment. Positive note--I haven't had bronchitis since Christmas. My respiratory therapist was amazed when I showed her my run record--I spend 3-4 hours a week on the treadmill, and average 10-12 miles. I really feel like it helps my breathing.

Sprinkled in there with everything else, I had 2 crowns break off to the point where they HAD to extract the tooth...

REALLY hoping 2012 is my year for decent health!!