What's the best fruit to eat?

Options
toshie333
toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
I am from today cutting out fizzy drinks diet ones too and chocolate daily, maybe once a week as a treat only. What would be the best fruit to eat. I've got berries which I know are good. Are there any others that are lower in sugar?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're already cutting out things you enjoy, don't get too stressed about fruit.... yes it has sugar, but you are also getting lots of nutrients, fibre, vitamins etc. Even a banana (which people seem to freak out about!) only has about 100 cals (for a small one) and just about everythiing else is less than that.

Eat what is delicious and in season in your part of the world - I'm loving persimmons at the moment, they aren't around for much of the year so I always buy then when I see them.

Just keep an eye on the quantities, maybe add in some veggie snacks too for variety - I love snow peas, celery and cherry tomatoes to munch on. Aussie guidelines suggest 5 veg and 2 fruit every day which seems to me like a good balance.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Apples, grapefruit

Mango,banana are high sugar but delicious and good for you!
  • t4nn1e
    t4nn1e Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I always find that bananas are a great fruit to have! They're really nice if you put them in the fridge too!

I've lost about 31 pounds now, 2 since joining here, but I've only been on here a week!

I'd like to lose about another stone (14 pounds) and then I think I'll be almost happy! x
  • mdailey93
    mdailey93 Posts: 95
    Options
    If you're already cutting out things you enjoy, don't get too stressed about fruit.... yes it has sugar, but you are also getting lots of nutrients, fibre, vitamins etc. Even a banana (which people seem to freak out about!) only has about 100 cals (for a small one) and just about everythiing else is less than that.

Eat what is delicious and in season in your part of the world - I'm loving persimmons at the moment, they aren't around for much of the year so I always buy then when I see them.

Just keep an eye on the quantities, maybe add in some veggie snacks too for variety - I love snow peas, celery and cherry tomatoes to munch on. Aussie guidelines suggest 5 veg and 2 fruit every day which seems to me like a good balance.

I agree. Unless there is a medical reason that you have to restrict your sugar intake, I wouldn't stress about fruit. You've already made a great step in cutting out soda and chocolate every day! Enjoy natures candy.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My favourite is melon but obviously that can be a nightmare to get prepared.

I would say with go which fruit you want at the moment. You don't want to being make too many changes at once.

x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a banana is the first thing i eat in the morns!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I eat whats in season and on sale!

After a cold spring, its finally nice and hot so I have been eating mangos and feeling like a tropical vacation. I used to feel guilty about eating fruit too, I would have an apple, banana, OJ and orange and be 2x over my sugar limit. I cut out the banana since I'm eating so much mango!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I like fresh Pineapple. It is not easy to cut up but taste better then the can stuff. Less sugar too.

I think fruit is a more natural sugar and doesn't have same effect as cane sugar.
  • jamlastsforages
    Options
    I eat papaya a LOT. I'm not really sure of the benefits but it aids digestion (and delicious).
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The best fruits to eat are whichever ones you get the most pleasure from eating. That way, you won't feel deprived and will be able to maintain your weight loss in the long term!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I enter all the fruits I like and then see which are less. 4 ozBerries 65 cal and watermellon 1 cup 45 cal both low and very good for you.
  • fatimaaamir
    fatimaaamir Posts: 11
    Options
    I personally love apples! Get small 2.5 inch apples and they're juicy, delicious and keep me full for about an hour or two! Perfect for school, and only about 12g of sugar and 15g of carbs :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i love fruit and eat it every day. whatever your preference is just eat it ..keep it under control ..portions is important with anything ..i usually have at least two portions of fruit a day ,sometimes three.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I love bosc pears - oh my gosh, so good! I also love oranges, but have to have salt on them -
    I know pretty weird, but it does help me eat lots of oranges :)
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Whatever is in season! Blueberries & strawberries right now but looking forward to peaches & plums later in the year......
    It may have sugar in it but at least it is natural sugar & not from chocolate.......
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Blueberries - put in protein shakes
    Fuji Apples
    Naval Oranges
    Strawberries - put in protein shakes
    Mangos - put in protein shakes
    Pineapples - put in protein shakes
    Peaches - put in protein shakes
    Forgot to add Bananas - put in protein shakes

Here is an article that ranks them based upon their content of these nutrients: vitamin C, fiber, carotenoids, calcium, and folic acid. Availability, safety, and versatility also influenced these choices.

1. California Avocado
    2. Papaya
    3. Guava
    4. Cantaloupe
    5. Orange
    6. Apricots (dried, unsulfured)
    7. Mango
    8. Strawberries (organic)
    9. Kiwi
    10. Grapefruit (pink or red)

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/fruits/top-ten-fruits