Hello from the UK

Options
adam145
adam145 Posts: 32 Member
Hello, I'm Adam from the South West of England.

I'm not massively overweight, but could do with losing a few kgs. I'm in my early 40's, so I guess the middle age spread has started! :-) I never had to worry about my weight until about 4 years ago when I stopped smoking (I'd still rather be an overweight non-smoker than a thin smoker though!).

Anyway, I'm reasonably active. I cycle between 70 and 100 miles a week, and I try to swim at least once a week, however my weight is not coming down. My diet isn't too bad, but I do snack quite a bit during the day, so I suspect that's my downfall! :-) I'm planning on trying to keep track of everything I eat, to see where I'm gaining the extra calories.

I'm 171 cms, and currently about 78kg. I don't really have a "target weight" as such, but I'd like to lose a few inches around my stomach, so I think 70kg doesn't sound too unachievable. That would bring my BMI down to a "normal" level, although I do understand it's not all about BMI.

So, err, Hello everyone! It would be nice to have some friends on here to help keep the snacks away! :-)

Replies

• kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    hi Adam, nice to meet you. im Kathy from the midlands.
  • emily_kenyon
    emily_kenyon Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    hey im Emily from the wirral welcome you mpf its great on here and im sure logging your food will help you :)) added you as a friend will give any support i can.

7934927.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • adam145
    Options
    Thanks for the welcomes! :-)
  • terrywilding
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Terry, 33, from the UK. Any of you can add me if you want :-)
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Adam, welcome to MFP!

Where abouts in the South West are you from?!

I live in Pilton, near Glastonbury and work in Taunton.

I will add you as a friend, us south westerners need all the support we can get! ;-)

Good luck on your journey, the people on here are amazing! :-)
  • mad4ituk
    mad4ituk Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi adam,

Welcome to mfp, I wouldnt go to much on BMI, use it as a rough guide if i was you...
    It doesnt take in to consideration your muscle size, bone structure etc

If i went on the chart I would be overweight close to obesity..
  • adam145
    Options
    Where abouts in the South West are you from?!

I live in Pilton, near Glastonbury and work in Taunton.

I will add you as a friend, us south westerners need all the support we can get! ;-)

Good luck on your journey, the people on here are amazing! :-)

Hi,

I'm in the Chew Valley, but yes, I know Pilton. I quite often cycle the route between Chew Magna and Glastonbury. Lovely part of the country.

I'm planning on doing the Somerset 100 ride on Sunday which starts just down the road from you - Although I'll almost certainly only be doing the 35 mile option.
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum, I'm from Suffolk, feel free to add me if you like. It's a good site to keep eachother motivated and has some great advice and ideas from other members too!