Cutting out chocolate??

Options
Hi guys,

So i'm doing ok but I am addicted to that last chocolate snack on a night, whether its a freddo frog, curly wurly or chocolate snak a jacks. Yes these are all low calories but by the time I have added them up its a 300+ cal treat.

I'd like to go a week with no chocolate to see what impact / if any that it has.

Does anyone have any tips to get through this upcoming no chocolate week?

Thanks
LauraLoo xxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• lissifae
    lissifae Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm not sure how well it will work for you but when I was giving up smoking I used to freeze grapes and every time I had a craving I'd suck on a frozen grape. Because it took a while to go by the time I'd finished the grape my craving had gone and I'd had a nice treat as well :)

It's got to be better for you than a chocolate bar even if you have several grapes over the evening. :D

Lissi
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I don't think depriving yourself of something really works. Personally, deprivation causes me to binge on that item.

For the past couple weeks, I've been eating a serving of dark chocolate a day. The reason for this is because
    1) it's yummy
    2) it's really not all that high in calories
    3) it's a good source of iron

Surprisingly, this seemingly has had the side effect of keeping me in line. I don't crave candy like usual.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I go the "give in in a not bad way" route. Cacao nibs (sweetriot.com for example) are only like 2 cals per piece (which is small). So they fulfill my craving for practically no calories. And since they aren't yummy, per se, I don't crave them, nor do I eat an entire tin. It just quenches the "you need chocolate" feeling. Other guilt free options: peanut butter & co dark chocolate dreams has no more calories than normal peanut butter and chocolate protein powder or some of the Luna bars are yummy and not really bad for you. That said, if I really want chocolate, I get some. Just don't keep it around so I have to want it enough to go to the store.

As for avoiding. I'm no help there. I refuse to give up anything...
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Giving up chocolate would be like giving up water for me - i think once you tell yourelf you cant have something you want it more and 9/10 it resuls in faliure.
    I have a cadbury hilights hot choc and its about 40 cal per cup so good instead of a chocolate bar and usually lasts longer.
    but if i really want a chocolate i go for a small one like a freddo or something and then make myself do something to earn it like a 15 min walk that way it eases the guilt :-:drinker:
  • lauraloo83
    lauraloo83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey girlies,

Thank you! I'm just a sucker for Cadbury's chocolate, i dont know whether you guys can buy that. I'd like to try no chocolate for a week to see the effects of it.

Dark chocolate, frozen grapes and cacao nibs?? all sound amazing ideas!!!

I'm defo going to try them.

Thank you

L-L xx
  • lauraloo83
    lauraloo83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Giving up chocolate would be like giving up water for me - i think once you tell yourelf you cant have something you want it more and 9/10 it resuls in faliure.
    I have a cadbury hilights hot choc and its about 40 cal per cup so good instead of a chocolate bar and usually lasts longer.
    but if i really want a chocolate i go for a small one like a freddo or something and then make myself do something to earn it like a 15 min walk that way it eases the guilt :-:drinker:

Love skinny my problem is i have 1, then another then i've used my calories, then i justify why i can go over my calories...by which time I've eaten an entire family of freddos!!

Laura xx
  • Warley_x
    Warley_x Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Laura, I too love chocolate and I usually have 1 treat a day. My advice to you is to have it earlier on in the day. For example this morning around 10am I had a Penguin and thats my treat for the day so it means no treat later! Have a filling tea and you wont feel hungry to crave chocolate. The idea behind this is that during the morning & afternoon your body is more active & more likely to burn it off than when you are sitting at home in the evening. x
  • holyguacamole37
    holyguacamole37 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how well it will work for you but when I was giving up smoking I used to freeze grapes and every time I had a craving I'd suck on a frozen grape. Because it took a while to go by the time I'd finished the grape my craving had gone and I'd had a nice treat as well :)

It's got to be better for you than a chocolate bar even if you have several grapes over the evening. :D

I've done the same thing with frozen strawberries!! Soooo good. =)
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Instead of depriving yourself, just keep dark chocolate lying around. It's stronger; so (for me anyways) a small piece takes care of the chocolate urge for me. Not to mention it has some nutritional benefits, too!!! ;-D