Packed lunch/snacks/dinner on the go ideas please

Options
Hi all,

So i work really long hours - i am up at 5am, leave the house at 6am and not home until around 8pm.

I have started having a slice of toast with either natural pb or 2 soft boiled eggs before i leave for work...then when i get into work around 8am/8.30am i have a protein bar.

But then by around 10.30/11am i am hungry again. I normally buy a salad for lunchtime (e.g. from subway), then i have a snack mid afternoon and just some protein (e.g. chicken, calamari, prawns) for dinner in the car as i go for a run straight away when i get home and then after my run i have a protein shake (as it is normally late and i dont like eating late).

I am doing low carb (i eventually want most if not all my carbs purely coming from veg)...and high protein.

Just wondered if anyone had any good lunch/snacks/dinner on the go ideas please? that i could either buy or bring in a packed lunch box. I need to include more veggies i know that much!

Also should i cut out the protein bars? they are the supreme protein carb conscious bars (the small ones not the huge ones!).

I like to eat every 2-3 hours and i need to manage my timings a bit better i think and come into work more prepared!

Thank you! xxx

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I always pack a lunch(I work in a school) and my staples are lunch meat, string cheese, yogurt and fruit.

I generally pack either a turkey or roast beef sandwich, a stick of string cheese, yogurt and apples/strawberries/cuties oranges/pineapple/grapes.

The past two days I cooked up some chicken burgers and took those for lunch along with the things mentioned above as sides.

It also sounds like you need to eat a bit more.. that whole you must eat 2/3 hours thing really is unfounded and doesn't do much for you. If you ate a bigger breakfast/lunch with quite a bit of protein in it(think like 20-40 grams a meal) then you'd feel a lot fuller and not need to snack as much.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    I always pack a lunch(I work in a school) and my staples are lunch meat, string cheese, yogurt and fruit.

I generally pack either a turkey or roast beef sandwich, a stick of string cheese, yogurt and apples/strawberries/cuties oranges/pineapple/grapes.

The past two days I cooked up some chicken burgers and took those for lunch along with the things mentioned above as sides.

It also sounds like you need to eat a bit more.. that whole you must eat 2/3 hours thing really is unfounded and doesn't do much for you. If you ate a bigger breakfast/lunch with quite a bit of protein in it(think like 20-40 grams a meal) then you'd feel a lot fuller and not need to snack as much.

Thank you - that's really helpful!! Yes i think i need a proper breakfast...i was having 2 boiled eggs with a slice of toast which was really filling...PB on 1 slice of toast isn't as filling! maybe i would be better having a snack first thing then having porridge/toast when i get to work?

What string cheese do you buy? i am in the UK and never know which one to buy?! xxx
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Thank you - that's really helpful!! Yes i think i need a proper breakfast...i was having 2 boiled eggs with a slice of toast which was really filling...PB on 1 slice of toast isn't as filling! maybe i would be better having a snack first thing then having porridge/toast when i get to work?

What string cheese do you buy? i am in the UK and never know which one to buy?! xxx

I live in the US, but I buy part skim mozzarella string cheese.

I mean for breakfast, you can do it anyway you want.. but eggs are going to be more filling then PB because of the protein content.

My suggestion eat a breakfast with high protein(My favorites are an egg, bacon and toast or a bacon, egg and cheese bagel) and those tend to keep me pretty full until my lunch hour around 10:30 or 11:30.

If you feel like you need a snack in there, then have some fruit or something... but if you are eating enough protein off the get go, it should keep you full till lunch time.
  • travellernikki
    travellernikki Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have much time either outside of work. I usually have one big shop a week and get lots of fresh fruit and veg. Each week I try to mix it up so I don't get bored with my snacks too.

Baby carrots, apples, pears, oranges, mandarins, plums, apricots, kiwis.
    Strawberries and grapes are a great desk snack too.

Other than that cereal bars or granola bites are a good thing to store in my desk for those days when I forget to bring enough snacks.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been doing lower carb ( about aiming for under 50 net, but happy with under 100net) for 3 weeks now. Here is an example of a daily menu for me

Breakfast:
    2 scrambled eggs
    4slices bacon ( I like soy *bacon*)
    1 sliced cheese--meunster, or provolone
    1 high fiber tortilla
    this is about 20g carbs, 9g fiber, 350 cal

lunch:
    3 cups lettuce
    1/2c sliced cucumber
    1/2cup sliced mushrooms
    1/3 c shredded cheese
    2oz protein ( generally sliced deli turkey)

OR

1 can high fiber soup

Dinner:
    slice of meatloaf ( aprox 1/3 pound of meat)
    1cup steamed veggies

snacks:
    low carb snack bars
    flatbreads with 1oz brie
    2oz summer sausage
    berries and whipped cream

This menu has been working for me. I'm rarely hungry, and I am eating 1500-1700 calories a day, yet struggling to net 1000-1200 calories a day. Sometimes I eat a snack I am not hungry for just because my calorie deficit is so high!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Ooo thank you some really helpful ideas there! xxx
  • nutribob
    nutribob Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!
    Here is a link to "On the go packed lunches" which provides many ideas for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners: http://www.balancedweightmanagement.com/On-The-Go Packed Lunches.htm

Enjoy!
    :-) Bob...
    PS. I've kept off 250 pounds for 40 years and the KEY is taking food with me when I leave home.