Magnesium supplement?

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I have read that Magnesium is beneficial for many reasons - works as a natural muscle relaxer and can help with Fibromyalgia pain, helps as a sleep aid, etc. Anyway, I have tried a couple kinds - one generic and MagOx. They have no coating so they are super hard to swallow. Anyone know of a good Mag supplement that is easy to take??? Anyone have any experience with Magnesium benefits?

Replies

• peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I take the generic magnesium ox at night (cvs brand)- 500mg. It really helps with sleep. I don't find them difficult to take, but then again, I do take some pretty ginormous supplements, so I might not be the best example!
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I took a calcium and magnesium supplement when I was pregnant to help with my preterm labor contractions. It was a pretty large pill though so it might not be the best one for you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I take a capsule form. Much easier to swallow! You may have to go hunting for one. Mine is by designs for health, that I get through my doctor. It's great to help with energy levels too. However too much gives you the runs, yuck!
  • missa526
    missa526 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't coated but I've found that if you take a drink of water first then take the pill put it in your mouth and drink water as soon as possible . That makes it easier for me to swallow uncoated pills. I just take 500mg magnesium pills (Nature Made u because they're supposed to also help with migraines. I hope this helped some.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I dont mind if the pills are big. I take a CoQ10 that is HUGE but its a gel cap so it goes down easy. The Mag supplements I have tried are very chalky and get stuck on the way down. LOL
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    They are chalky and dry, egh. Love the benefits though.

There is a powder you mix in warm water, Natural Calm. They sell it at the health food store and I tried a few packets, they have flavors but I liked the plain fine. When my bottle is up I'll go get the powder. The warm drink at night is also soothing before bed.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is the only supplement which makes me selep well. I have to take it around 10 pm and it gives a very restful sleep. Have tried melatonin, valerian, benedryl,lavender epsom salts,night balms nothing is as good as magnesium for me. I take only 250 mg and it works well.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what foods are really good for magnesium? I've tried supplements and they either have negligible effect or they go straight through me
  • lelstar
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Ironically, I was sent a sample in the post yesterday but not yet used it. It's a magnesium gel. I'm supposed to massage it into desired areas and the body absorbs it. Claims to absorb faster than tablets. I couldn't for the life of me figure why I had to use it but I do now. I'll use it tonight :laugh:
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I used to take one made from New Zealand mussels, that was very good indeed.
    I know just pick up off the supermarket shelf and use staminade, that has magnesium in it.
    I take it for cramps, I get real bad ones in my calves.
  • lelstar
    Options
    Yeah I can't have stuff like staminade, have run to the toilet
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide (mag-ox) has really low absorption compared to magnesium citrate (natural calm is the bulk powder) but the citrate has a laxative effect if dosed too high. Benefits - I have no soreness whatsoever, it also really helps to take magnesium with food (better absorption and to prevent diarrhea) and close to bedtime to promote sleep.

The only magnesium rich foods are nuts, seeds, and dark green vegetables; however, it is really unrealistic to reach the DV from eating enough of these foods. Chocolate is a good option in the form of cocoa powder (plenty of magnesium, little calories and little bulk). If you are into using flaxseed mill, that works too.

You need to space calcium supplements at least 2 hours apart from magnesium
    I have yet to try the gel/transdermal solution but it should work just like taking an Epsom salt bath (magnesium sulfate)
    The benefit of the transdermal being no diarhea or laxative effect and no interaction with oral calcium
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I recently heard that a good, deep professional massage is good for relieving fibremialga pain.
  • katewillbethinx2
    Options
    I take 250mg of magnesium every morning... just the naturemade brand. My dietitian told me that a lot of people crave chocolate because it has magnesium in it and it is due to a magnesium deficiency... I say go for it! it ain't going to kill you!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I take Natural Calm. It's in a powder form that dissolves in water. I only take about 80mg a day, since it's a natural laxative. I've been taking it for postpartum anxiety and it's helped a ton. I also take an Omega-3 with it.
  • lelstar
    Options
    Magnesium oxide (mag-ox) has really low absorption compared to magnesium citrate (natural calm is the bulk powder) but the citrate has a laxative effect if dosed too high. Benefits - I have no soreness whatsoever, it also really helps to take magnesium with food (better absorption and to prevent diarrhea) and close to bedtime to promote sleep.

The only magnesium rich foods are nuts, seeds, and dark green vegetables; however, it is really unrealistic to reach the DV from eating enough of these foods. Chocolate is a good option in the form of cocoa powder (plenty of magnesium, little calories and little bulk). If you are into using flaxseed mill, that works too.

You need to space calcium supplements at least 2 hours apart from magnesium
    I have yet to try the gel/transdermal solution but it should work just like taking an Epsom salt bath (magnesium sulfate)
    The benefit of the transdermal being no diarhea or laxative effect and no interaction with oral calcium

You have plenty of advice there. I will try and find a low absorbtion one. Unfortunately I can't have chocolate because of metabolic syndrome, I don't have a bath, flaxseed makes me so bloated I look 6 months pregnant and the powder version I have tried gives mediarrhea.

Thanks for all the details guys :-)
  • lelstar
    Options
    I recently heard that a good, deep professional massage is good for relieving fibremialga pain.

If I could afford it I would have a massage every week!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would not be without magnesium. I have fibromyalgia and get very *hurty* at times. I take triple magnesium complex in capsule form.....400 mg.....mostly oxide.. Goes down very easily. I order it from Swanson Vitamins online. Great company and VERY reasonable prices. Have been ordering from them for years. It helps with body pain, anxiety, depression, sleep, etc etc. VERY important mineral for your body and most of us do are pretty depleted because of all the stress in our lives. Good luck!

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I found this article when I was searching for something to alleviate all the pain I've been in lately (I also have fibromyalgia):

http://web.mit.edu/london/www/magnesium.html

The article states how much we all need magnesium, and that many illnesses can be attributed to the lack of it. It also says to avoid diarrhea, start with a low dose and slowly increase to find the level that our body needs - also to try different brands.

I'm def getting some soon.