Absolutely.
  • dmcb24
    dmcb24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooooooo!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I drank while losing weight. I was able to lose weight, but I think I would have more success and would have lost more fat. Now I am not drinking at all because honestly it isn't that good for you. I mean everything in moderation but I think I would have seen better results if I drank less while losing weight.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The obvious reason is because you are drinking your calories...

The next reason is because your body chooses to burn of alcohol before fat.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Empty cals + lower self control

You do the maths
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my calorie goals and it hasn't stopped me losing. Like everything, moderation is important. This is quite an interesting article on the subject: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    haha this question comes up every friday
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good question no matter how many times it is asked. I would say "YES" and that is the reason that I am not losing.:grumble:
  • ericdeken
    ericdeken Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Exactly!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If the liver is busy processing alcohol, it won't be processing fat for energy. Not saying it'll stop you from losing weight (if you drink in moderation), but it will slow your progress some.
  • higgins1988
    higgins1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    Well alcohol contains calories just like any other food so yes. I work mine into my calorie allowance and try not to go overboard - the resulting hangover is what usually leads to binge eating!
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    Options
    You can eat the calories or drink the calories...that would be yes.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it has an effect on my weight loss (especially hangovers which = no exercise + lots of Taco Bell) but.. not stopping yet.
  • gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    Once in a while is fine if you stay within your calorie goals, or even if you go slightly out of them. I think drinking every day would hinder weight loss as alcohol slows your metabolism down. It's a toxin, so your body is working hard to process it and therefore isn't putting as much work into breaking down fat etc and ends up storing it. I drink a couple of times a month and it hasn't stopped me losing 40lb, but if you want to achieve a really lean body with lower body fat % then you might want to consider cutting it out.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    haha this question comes up every friday

yes...at least that often. it would seem that it should be common sense that booze isnt going to help and could hurt weight loss.

it just depends on your priorities. if you want to fit booze into your calories, you can still lose weight but you arent really giving your body what it needs. when we are cutting calories and working out, our body is under more stress than normal.

ideally, we will give our body the best fuel possible. but if you want the effects of booze and still want to lose weight, you must be willing to sacrifice your body a bit.

so...if you want to slow down your progress towards the best body you can have, drink booze. If your priority is to get where you want your body to be as efficiently as possible, cut the booze. Your choice.

For those who say Booze is needed to have fun and enjoy life, you are simply wrong.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It also depends upon how much - i'll be having a bottle of cider tonight - just the one as I don't drink that often but have spent most of the morning working hard in the garden and it will be in my calorie count.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I always added my wine into my calorie allowance and I always lost just fine. But now for the past 3 weeks I can't have any because of the medication I am taking and I have not lost a thing. Go figure. :drinker:
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Macronutrient of alcohol is 7kcals per gram compared to 4kcal in protein and carbohydrates and 9kcal in fat.
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    I fit it into my calorie goals and it hasn't stopped me losing. Like everything, moderation is important. This is quite an interesting article on the subject: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Very interesting! I sometimes actually lose weight the day after I've been drinking wine, the water retention thing makes sense! I always add the alcohol calories in my diary though. As much as we'd all like to, you can't ignore them!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If the liver is busy processing alcohol, it won't be processing fat for energy. Not saying it'll stop you from losing weight (if you drink in moderation), but it will slow your progress some.

Wonderful explanation as to why you will not be losing weight.