SPIBelts... Opinions Please :)

Options
It's taken me a really long time to be able to run outside and my reasons are downright stupid. I mean why run outside when the treadmills at my gym have a personal fan, a water bottle holder, a towel holder, a key holder, a cell phone holder, a book/kindle holder, a view of the hot boys lifting weights.... things like that!

I was happy jumping on the treadmill at the gym, that is until one of my friends talked me into running outside for the first time!

Once I got over the initial shock of the Florida heat, I was hooked and to be honest, I LOVE IT! Well most of it, I still feel like I have to have someone hang out and wait at my apartment until I get back. I can hold my phone for music, but keys, cash, etc.... I just have no clue!

Someone told me about Small Personal Item Belts for runners, and it got me curious. Are these just smaller, less stupid looking fanny packs or does the functionality of them outweigh the fanny-pack-ness of them????

http://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-Small-Personal-Great-Runners/dp/B006L65UWU/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Replies

• AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Anyone, Anyone?
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love my SPI belt! The profile is pretty slim depending on how much stuff you shove in. Get one!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I like my spi belt, and use it for race day or my son uses it to carry his phone when he runs. I prefer my hydration belt instead as I generally do longer runs. But overall the quality is good, it holds a lot (I pack my firearm in it at times), and it's not bulky or bouncy.

Not sure how big of a person you are, but my one complaint is that I can't make mine any smaller and it slips around.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I have one. I have used it a couple of times, but I just try not to take anything with me. They are small but stretch and can fit a set of keys, cell phone, chapstick, tissue, clif shot blocks and probably more but that's all that I have ever carried at once and that was during a 15K I think. Its not like a fanny pack b/c its a lot smaller. I wear mine under my t-shirt around waist and no one can tell I have it on. You have to really tighten it around your waist properly otherwise it will bounce up and down if it's too loose. It was about 10-15 dollars, so worth the money.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Not sure how big of a person you are, but my one complaint is that I can't make mine any smaller and it slips around.
    [/quote]

Yep, mine will move around and it can be aggravating.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I wear it at the base of my back and usually carry my Iphone, key, lip balm and some tissue.
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    I have one and think it's pretty good. Once my iphone goes in, it becomes a little bouncy, but that is probably unavoidable with any other similar product. You get used to it and it's not too big of a deal. Because of my body shape (narrow waist and larger hips) I wear it pretty low with the iphone basically resting on my hip bone to minimize jiggle, and then this can cause my shorts to ride up, grr. Best solution is to only run with my phone when I feel like I really need it.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have one and think it's pretty good. Once my iphone goes in, it becomes a little bouncy, but that is probably unavoidable with any other similar product. You get used to it and it's not too big of a deal. Because of my body shape (narrow waist and larger hips) I wear it pretty low with the iphone basically resting on my hip bone to minimize jiggle, and then this can cause my shorts to ride up, grr. Best solution is to only run with my phone when I feel like I really need it.

the jiggle is why I started wearing it in the small of my back. It doesn't bounce anymore - at least not on me.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I ordered a spibelt for a marathon & used it 2x. then I gave it away because it bugged me. I have since bought an iFitness band. It is still annoying, but not as much.
  • PortaPocketGal
    Options
    hi Alicia Beth -- haven't run with Spibelt but it's like smaller, sleeker fanny pack ...decent looking so you won't feel out of style or anything. For me, I always use PortaPocket though as it's something I created (after dropping spare tampon on gym floor back in '07 and getting mad...ha! true story!)..now patented & been featured on TODAY etc...it's been a wild ride but so exciting to see it come to life. :)
    The main differences between Spibelt & PortaPocket are that Spibelt works on your waist and comes in more colors right now, while PortaPocket works on any part of your body...thigh, calf, ankle, or arm as well as waist. PortaPocket pockets can swap out to suit your needs on any given day. You can wear it on your arm for your phone on a run one day, to the gym on your calf under yoga pants to carry your gym pass and business cards the next, and to a dance on the weekend to wear it on your thigh under your gown for lipstick and ID...super versatile. Fits ANY body as all the bands attach at the ends to form longer lengths (as needed). Solid black or beige but new sparkly *bling!* styles now available too! Both Spibelt and PortaPocket are in similar price categories. Looks like you already know spibelt site...mine's at www.portapocket.com
    good luck! :)
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options

the jiggle is why I started wearing it in the small of my back. It doesn't bounce anymore - at least not on me.

I tried this on my long run today and it was awesome, thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't thought to try it there. With car key, iphone and a few dollars in it, there was still virtually no jiggle!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just bought one and I love it! I don't have any problems with jiggling whether wearing it toward the front or back.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the SPI belt, but I have a TuneBelt and an Amphipod race day belt with various pocket attachments. They were both OK, but pretty bouncy...and then I found Bandi belts at the Flying Pig Marathon expo. Now I wish I'd bought more than one.
    http://www.bandiwear.com/

They also have photos on FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.362969550434448.87268.346339875430749&type=3

They aren't yet selling them online, but keep an eye on their site and see if they are doing any expos in the greater Cincy area. They are a really simple, lycra envelope pocket with some padding on either side to protect a phone or mp3 player. There is also a smaller 2nd pocket that I was able to carry my inhaler in. A person could also easily carry car keys and/or a gel or two.