Muscle building

Options
Looking to find some peeps that can give some good advice on muscle building. Tips on fat burning would be welcome as well. Im always looking to try new things and change up my workout.

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't constantly change up your workout. How else will you know you are progressing?
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started muscle building a week ago. Are you more looking into fat burning (cutting) or muscle building. I am starting muscle building till I get my goal size, then I will cut off the remaining fat.
  • XFallenAngel
    Options
    well I think building muslce would be the thing to do first then cutting fat, but I feel as though I get too big. i would hate to be in a position where i would need to lose alot of weight.
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I disagree with Kenny. If you don't switch up your workouts, your body will get used to it and you'll plateau.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    And you say this based on what reasoning?
  • sarsaparilla1
    Options
    Check out Scooby Workshop
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It is ok to stick with the same workout, but don't plateau every week increase intensity, Add Weight!

I normally stick with a workout for about 8 weeks and then change it up

A really good article to read is http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/muscle-building it will explain everything you need to know.
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    First thing, focus on either muscle building, or fat burning but not both at the same time. I'd go for fat cutting first so you have more definition when you add muscle mass.

Shoot for 50% protein 25% carb 25% fat while cutting body fat down, and aim for a safe deficit of 20% so you don't lose lean mass as well. Pre workout supps can help burn more fat as well, like ones with caffeine or nitric oxide.

When adding mass you'll want to aim for 6-9 reps until muscle failure (lift heavy). Sleep and glutamine will help a lot in the muscle building process as well.
  • zombiefarmboy
    Options
    And you say this based on what reasoning?
    Common sense... and reason, maybe.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Reality says otherwise.
  • zombiefarmboy
    Options
    I can see by your picture that you're an expert in building muscle. I humbly except your logic...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus, lots of protein (1.5 -2 grams per pound of lean body weight), lots of compound movements, 4-6 sets with reps between 6-10 and train as heavy as you can with GOOD FORM. It takes time, but the results are worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I can see by your picture that you're an expert in building muscle. I humbly except your logic...

LMAO I needed a good chuckle just about now......
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I disagree with Kenny. If you don't switch up your workouts, your body will get used to it and you'll plateau.

This is not true, unless you're including increasing the weight as "switching up your workouts". If you lift 300 lbs and your body "gets used to it", left 305 next time. Then 310, etc.
  • cmje94066
    cmje94066 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was interested in doing some toning, what suggestions would you have for toning muscles for females? Are we supposed to add on weight over time>
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I was interested in doing some toning, what suggestions would you have for toning muscles for females? Are we supposed to add on weight over time>
    There really isn't such a thing as "toning". It's a "slang" word for "lifting weights" for females that was contrived during the 80's and 90's to get women to accept lifting weights.
    So if you want to "condition" (firm up and strengthen) your muscles, yes add weight and keep the reps low.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the gains. You will find there is a LOT of different advice out there.

My suggestions would be:
    1. Eat enough protein (2 grams per pound of lean body weight while gaining muscle and at least 1 gram while cutting)

2. Gain muscle or loose fat. Pick one that you want to do first and then tailor your program to that.
    Gaining muscle you will want to eat in a calorie surplus. Maybe somewhere around 200 calories above maintenance.
    Loosing body fat you will want to eat at a deficit. Try to keep it realistic around 1 pound per week (-500 calories). More than that and you risk loosing muscle along with the fat.

I would recommend taking advantage of the newbie gains new lifters get by trying to gain first at least for a month or two.

3. Keep lifting even while cutting.

4. I would not recommend switching programs more than every few months. You have to find one you like but you also have to give it time to work.

5. Pick a program instead of making one up on your own. There are a few out there that are proven programs.

6. Start doing rotator cuff exercises right away. One of the most common injuries for lifters is sore shoulders. It sucks not being able to work out for a couple weeks waiting to heal up.

Here are a couple videos that help my shoulder stop hurting. I do these exercise twice a week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYmTEN_ZA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-7SetOe9zk
  • zombiefarmboy
    Options
    LMAO I needed a good chuckle just about now......
    I think I'm just the sarcastic *kitten* of the forum... ;)
  • duelistic
    duelistic Posts: 15
    Options
    Good luck with the gains. You will find there is a LOT of different advice out there.

My suggestions would be:
    1. Eat enough protein (2 grams per pound of lean body weight while gaining muscle and at least 1 gram while cutting)

2. Gain muscle or loose fat. Pick one that you want to do first and then tailor your program to that.
    Gaining muscle you will want to eat in a calorie surplus. Maybe somewhere around 200 calories above maintenance.
    Loosing body fat you will want to eat at a deficit. Try to keep it realistic around 1 pound per week (-500 calories). More than that and you risk loosing muscle along with the fat.

I would recommend taking advantage of the newbie gains new lifters get by trying to gain first at least for a month or two.

3. Keep lifting even while cutting.

4. I would not recommend switching programs more than every few months. You have to find one you like but you also have to give it time to work.

5. Pick a program instead of making one up on your own. There are a few out there that are proven programs.

6. Start doing rotator cuff exercises right away. One of the most common injuries for lifters is sore shoulders. It sucks not being able to work out for a couple weeks waiting to heal up.

Here are a couple videos that help my shoulder stop hurting. I do these exercise twice a week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYmTEN_ZA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-7SetOe9zk

^ Everything this guys says.
    bodybuilding.com. check our their forums on bulking/cutting. The stickied threads are incredibly helpful.