Faux mashed potatoes

Options
So, has anyone heard of making mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes? Well don't write it off just yet. The idea definitely was off-putting for me, but I figured, hey, couldn't hurt right?

So today I boiled a head of cauliflower (until it was extremely tender), drained the excess water, and began to mash. It is a little tougher to mash than potatoes because of the flourets, but not bad. I added a tblsp of country crock light butter, a little salt and pepper, basil and a bit of garlic.

Delicious! Definitely not creamy whipped potatoes, but still an incredibly yummy side. Our faux mashed potatoes will most DEFINITELY be made again!

:bigsmile:

Try it out!

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have tried it before and it is definitely yummy!:happy: :bigsmile: :happy: :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Wonder if it would be creamier if you put it through a blender?
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    Try steaming the cauliflower. That should help with the texture, plus you can steam garlic cloves at the same time to whip up with it.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I make them with a stick blender. They get really creamy...just make sure you drain them REALLY well after boiling or the end result can be too thin and a little runny.
  • euphoria11
    Options
    That sounds good... I'll have to get one of those!

I am just excited because I didn't expect them to be that good!
    ;)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

That would pretty much liquify it, wouldn't it? :tongue: I would use a hand mixer.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

That would pretty much liquify it, wouldn't it? :tongue: I would use a hand mixer.

I dunno, my blender has a lot of settings that don't puree but I've not looked at it lately either.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and I couldn't pass it off on the kids. I was a little disappointed in how pulpy they were and recently on the biggest loser Jillian suggest them and her mashed cauliflower looked like mashed potato! :grumble:
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I'll have to try this later. I love some garlic, now, so I can steam or roast some and blend it up with it and make it even better... yay!

thanks for the idea

:flowerforyou:
  • msmonarae
    Options
    You can still mix them with potatoes and make them healthier if you really miss the potatoes a bit. I also like butternut squash so I will roast of steam butternut squash and mash it like mashed potatoes so other veggies can work too this is also a very tasty side dish.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes with turnip are delish too.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was digging through our freezer last night looking for cauliflower so I could try this recipe and I couldn't find any. I want to try it.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I tried this and couldn't figure out the big deal. It didn't even come close to a mashed potato for me -- guess you have to really like cauliflower...:huh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I tried this and couldn't figure out the big deal. It didn't even come close to a mashed potato for me -- guess you have to really like cauliflower...:huh:
    yeah, me too. Never was a cauliflower fan.
  • Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. I also use it to replace rice.
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    there's also a great recipe for sing cauliflower as the base to make a "pizza crust" instead of flour.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I do this in my Magic Bullet. I also add one wedge of the Light Laughing Cow Cheese. It is delicious.