manipulating calorie intake to compensate for breastfeeding.

Options
Hi, it has been suggested that I can add into my personal plan somewhere that I am breastfeeding, but not sure where or how and would appreciate any help with this!

MFP has set me to 1200 calories per day, this doesnt seem totally unreasonable, but if i am going to lose weight and re-establish a healthy lifestyle then i dont think this will cover my weight loss and breastfeeding. Coupled with that breastfeeding burns quite a few calories per feed, and I feed 3-5 sometimes 8 times a day, Ive tried to calculate this in as exercise but it wont allow, so how else would I add it in?

Thanks for any advice and or support x

Replies

• Kimberly121
    Kimberly121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm breastfeeding too. Type breastfeeding into the food search and there you can select -500 cals a day or -300 cals a day. There are other options as well. I am EBF so I chose -500 cals. So if your goal is set to 1200 cals, when you enter your food, be sure to select your -500 somewhere, I do it in my snacks area, and then your breastfeeding cals will be automatically given to you. So, in actuality you will be eating 1700 cals a day. HTH! Feel free to ask me any questions 
  • cmlewis86
    cmlewis86 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I am breast feeding as well and I was wondering how to compensate.
  • mum_to_2boys
    Options
    Thank you so much Kimberley, my LO despite being 1yr still feeds up to 8 times a day, and we dont pump its BF all way sooo I will alter that breastfeeding into my diary as you say.

Thank you xxx
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I don't even count in breastfeeding calories. Not all women burn a ton of calories doing it.
  • mum_to_2boys
    Options
    Do you add extra calories to your day though?

Ive set it at -300 for today so that gives me 300 extra for fat stores, but Im sure even 300 isnt enough for a healthy change, but we'll give it a try!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If your baby is over a year old I assume that he/she is also eating food. Generally, if your baby is getting only breastmilk (whether that is straight from the breast or by using pumped breastmilk) then you would add 500 calories. If you are supplementing with formula or baby is eating a lot of solids/baby food then you would add fewer calories. How many calories you need at that point is probably less straightforward than when baby is younger.

I am currently breastfeeding my 4th child, who is 7 months old. I EP'ed for 9 months with my first but BF my 2nd and 3rd until they were 3 and 2 1/2 years old. I lost well until they were between 9-12 months old then started gaining again. I think at that time my calorie needs changed and I didn't adjust, therefore the gain. Even though they were still nursing often they were not relying on me to feed them completely at that point, so my breastmilk production went down. I think 300 is a good place to start but you might need to do some adjusting.