You HAVE to eat your exercise calories....

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is how people want to bash the Biggest Loser all the time but EVERYONE is jumping on doing the 30 Day Shred all the time!!!! What the heck??? lol

30 Day Shred is a safe and effective program, which even shows modified exercises. Why would anyone be against that? I don't care for the biggest loser, but I enjoyed 30 DS. I guess I am not seeing the joke here....
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    What I find funny is how people want to bash the Biggest Loser all the time but EVERYONE is jumping on doing the 30 Day Shred all the time!!!! What the heck??? lol

The Biggest Loser is a game show where some severely overweight people are exploited for TV ratings.
    The 30 Day Shred is an exercise DVD.

I don't see the correlation.

Hey you, get out of my head!!! =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Does it really work though? Not being funny when I say that, but I'd like to see a follow up program a year later to see how many have kept up the good work, or how many have put it back on plus more due to losing it so quick.
    The US version might already do this, but don't think the uk one does

Most seem to keep it off...a few gain it back. I don't think "I didn't eat my exercise calories" was the factor that determined this however. Some poeple here are downright brutish with their insistance that you just can't lose weight if you don't eat your exercise calories. Not true.
    Out of over 200 contestants, about 25 have kept it off (most have gained back alot or a significant amount). That's about 10% which is about the same for the overall population who lose weight and gain it back.

Yes you lose weight if you DON'T eat back your exercise calories because really it's about calories in and out. But the reality also is that the higher your calorie deficit, then the lower your metabolic rate goes. That is NOT DISPUTED by any scientific organization in the study of physiology.
    So why do the BL have to exercise so hard? Well for one it's a competition, and number 2, their deficits are high and if they don't exercise intense and hard their metabolism would crawl slower than even when they didn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • willismack2
    willismack2 Posts: 84
    Options

I don't think what they do is unhealthy only because of the massive amount of fat that is weighting to come off. Of course if me being a 135 woman lost 15 lbs. in one week, I either gave birth to a kitten or lost a limb.

That would be one heavy kitten....

Nice mandolin Becka. (mandolin picking is the secret to weight loss)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing all of these threads. I really wish people would just try different things to see what works. Everyone's body is different. I always eat mine back, or plan ahead for activities by upping my intake throughout the day. It's worked great for me. I personally don't even feel well or have enough energy to do anything if I don't eat back my calories or eat them beforehand.

Try new things, experiment.

If you take a prescription diet pill or consume a ton of caffeine, your body may not tell you when you really do need to eat, but otherwise, this makes sense.

Of course, my body thinks it's hungrier than it really is all the time, so I can't always listen to it, or I'll be right back where I was before. But I usually know the difference between "gotta have that cupcake or I'm gonna die!" and "gotta eat or I'm going to be passed out on the floor in an hour!". Usually....
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I don't think what they do is unhealthy only because of the massive amount of fat that is weighting to come off. Of course if me being a 135 woman lost 15 lbs. in one week, I either gave birth to a kitten or lost a limb.

That would be one heavy kitten....

Nice mandolin Becka. (mandolin picking is the secret to weight loss)

Thank you :smile: My fingers have never looked so slim!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OMG.....is this question ever going to end???? DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU PEOPLE! It's that simple!! You're not going to drop dead on a 1200 a day calorie intake...nor are you going to drop dead because you aren't eating back your exercise calories. Everyone's metabolism is different. People fast for DAYS on end, and they certainly aren't dying or even unhealthy in the majority of cases.

DO WHAT WORKS......

AGREED! And the same goes for every other aspect of dieting and working out. Some peoples bodies break down and use foods differently so if someone else's diet doesn't work for you it's because you aren't them!

Totally agree. You have to do what works for you. I never eat all my exercise calories back (perhaps about 50%) and in 4.5 weeks I have lost 13lbs. Do what works for you. If what you're doing doesn't work, then try something else, and keep trying till you find what works..for you!.
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Rach_Gem_n_Disguise Posts: 140 Member
    Options

The Biggest Loser is a game show where some severely overweight people are exploited for TV ratings.
    The 30 Day Shred is an exercise DVD.

I don't see the correlation.

If you don't see the correlation .....really?? Hmm...let's see...Jillian was a trainer on the show?? Not that difficult for some. She even backed their nutrional weight loss journey during the show. So there is your correlation. lol I do find it funny ...sorry some don't find the humor. Everyone takes this eating exercise calorie crap so extreme. Do what works for you...plain and simple.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Not even remotely the same... 30DS is a workout program. TBL is a weight loss show that is a proven failure long term. See the link I posted or google "biggest loser where are they now"
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Options
    OK, you all are funny. Duh, it's a work out dvd....I'm not stupid. Even though 90% of you like to treat people in forums as if they are. I have the dvd. Do you? She is constantly promoting fast results...doesn't allow you to take breaks so you'll burn more calories in shorter amounts of time.....just like the show!! Isn't that what all of you are SO against??
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    OK, you all are funny. Duh, it's a work out dvd....I'm not stupid. Even though 90% of you like to treat people in forums as if they are. I have the dvd. Do you? She is constantly promoting fast results...doesn't allow you to take breaks so you'll burn more calories in shorter amounts of time.....just like the show!! Isn't that what all of you are SO against??

Who is against getting the most out of their workouts?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Along with eating junk, drinking alcohol, having treats or not being honest about what you're eating will cause most people to fail miserably and the amount of threads on here pay testament to this.

Bad eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle are the reason why a lot of people are out of shape and overweight. You start a health plan and continue snack eating, consuming chocolate, cakes and alcohol and ask why the diet isn't working.

Really? I drink alcohol and I eat chocolate, yet I still have lost weight just fine and am maintaining just fine. I am not going to deprive myself of the things I like so I can "diet" according to what someone else thinks I should or should not indulge in.

You can lose weight eating ANYTHING as long as your calories in are less than your calories out. Is it healthy do eat much of your calories in McDonalds fries and chocolate and beer? no..but you can certainly still lose weight.

But...most people who indulge frequently in those things are not mindful to have the small fries, or count the calories and STOP EATING once their count goes over their max.

If you can do that..then that's really really great!

How do you know people don't have the small fry or count calories and stop eating?

Are you suddenly some sort of mind reader?

Stop assuming.. all you are doing is making an *kitten* out of yourself.

That was rude and uncalled for. She said "most" people, not all. And let's face it, she's right. Most people who drink and eat McD do not count calories. And she's also right that it's really, really great to drink and lose weight. It worked just fine for me (but to fair, I never eat McD).
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Options

Who is against getting the most out of their workouts?

Not me, that's for sure! A lot of people think you have to lose weight so super slow to keep it off though and to me that's just false. It's all about lifestyle change. That's where people fail. When they lose the weight they don't stick to working out and watching what they eat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8 save buying the DVD to understand what the fuss is about - lean people exercising ;-)
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    i love how people blame the show for the contestants gaining the weight back. Of course they did, to keep the weight off you HAVE to change your lifestyle. As most people eventually go back into their old habits, they regain the weight.

Makes no difference how you lose the weight, it's the lack of life style change after that kills your progress.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What does Dr. Oz say about this subject?!?!?? We need the expert's opinion on this matter.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    As a general practice, it's good to learn how to separate what is entertainment from reality, and I say that knowing full well that it's a reality-based TV show (but it is entertainment).

Much in the same way that you should not listen to most of what Dr. Oz says about weight loss supplements, I would hesitate to draw any meaningful conclusion that you would apply to your personal life, from practices you see on The Biggest Loser.

Find me a population of people who are well educated on fitness and nutrition, who also agree with the majority of things on the above mentioned shows, and I'll consider changing my viewpoint.
  • silvabelle89
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories and I think I look pretty damn good. *toots one's own horn* .... Lost every pound I wanted
    to lose eating every last calorie I deserved.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do NOT eat back mine. That just wouldn't work for me.ive been doing this for sometime and have learned when I go a little higher in calories by 200-300 I don't lose weight. I eat about 1200 calories per day and have for almost 2 years. When I up my calories it my wight loss stops. I go to the gym 5 days a week for at least two hours a day. And hour of cardio and the rest weight training and I have found the only thing that stalls my weight loss is when I go over in calories or if I don't drink enough water. To each their own but this is what works for me. I'm 5'3"
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Um, no. I am against running your body into the ground in an unrealistic and unhealthy way with a relatively low fuel source. It works short term, but as the results have shown, the weight is more than likely to come back. Fast results are great, if achieved through a healthy manner. My cousin has done the BL type thing, he looks SOFT as hell now compared to me at the same weight a few months ago. My girlfriend and family looked at it and couldn't believe he was lighter than I was before I started losing weight. Pretty huge difference long term.