Allergy to milk(dairy), wheat, and oats

Options
2»

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, chicken/turkey/fish, rice and quinoa, beans, rice crackers are yummy, rice cakes.

My mom has celiac disease (no wheat) and she also allergice to dairy and oats, and a few other things. There are other grains out there that are gluten free that you can experiment with to bake etc.

Do you have a health food store near you? They might be able to walk you through and show you all the gluten free options.

Yea I went to my health food store, that's when I discovered it's too expensive to have all these allergies, but I found at least a gluten-free cereal that I like.

You don't have to buy stuff at a health food store, just a regular grocery store has LOTS of options. I don't know what stores are available in your area, but here, Kroger has gluten-free items labelled with the price stickers on the shelves (I would assume other stores they own, Fred Meyers, etc would do the same). Also, look at buying in bulk/larger quantities. Last week I was going to buy the juice on sale, but turned out the bigger bottle was cheaper per ounce than even the smaller one on sale. Kroger always has frozen/fresh veggies on sale, and marked down meats. If you don't plan on using it right away, freeze it.

I'm gluten intolerant (not paying to get tested, plus I'd have to go back to eating wheat), and lactose intolerant, insulin-resistant and PCOS. It can be done shopping regular grocery stores without spending a fortune, just takes planning ahead and cooking your own foods.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems....haven't been diagnosed, but I know what I have issues with milk/wheat/oats, etc. I've been trying to eliminate as much gluten as possible. It's not terribly difficult if you stick with fruits/vegs/meat. I don't buy all that expensive gluten free crap...not really necessary. When it becomes difficult is when you're at parties or whatever. I usually stick to the veggie trays and any plain meats they serve.

^^This. Except be careful with the meats, some deli meats have gluten added. Or even dairy added!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Everybody gave great tips - I'm also lactose intolerant and I think gluten too (as I've gone low carb and dropped all breads, cereals, grains (except whole), rice, potatoes & pasta) and noticed ALOT of my stomach/guts issues have gone away since I started.

Other than a trip to Trader Joe's, I hit Walmart and the local supermarkets - fresh veg (or frozen which on sale is great & can be stored for 6 months), frozen chicken breasts store well as well. My area gets alot of weekly sales ads, start looking at each and see who has what on sale every week. If you can't find the ads, hit the supermarket websites - they have what's on sale, receipes and sometimes even coupons too!

And as a few have stated - stay away from 'processed' goods or learn to read EVERY LABEL! You'd be surprised at how many foods contain things you never thought they should. Milk and milk product are in SO MANY foods! Lactose is milk sugar, so product use that to sweeten thing - found that out the hard way when I drank a Adam & Eve Cranberry Juice Box. OMG... i was so sick I had to leave work.
  • echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    I would try eating those foods at a slightly increased calorie allowance, you may still lose weight, and fast. My mom has the same allergy and lost about 30 pounds in 2 months, she probably ate more calories, but of foods her body could tolerate and process.
    Good luck
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i have the same allergies as you (though i still have a wee bit of milk/cheese/yogurt just in moderation) and I follow a paleo/primal diet. It is actually very simple to do...just pick a meat and add veggies to that! I do not eat beans because they hurt my tummy and so does rice so veggies are my sides. I also eat fruits and nuts as snacks.

As for the 1200 calories, perhaps change your MFP goals to lose 1 lb/week rather than 2. If you are an active person, this is a hard number to stick to. I eat near 1700 net a day and am losing weight.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    look up the paleo diet, everything you are allergic to is not allowed on the paleo diet anyways. its basically lean mean, veggies and natural fat. and lots of bacon!
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Walmart actually has a lot of gluten free options on the cheap. I am doing the Candida detox right now so I feel your pain. Not allergic to oats, but I am not sure about wheat yet. Also, if you have a local Farmer's Market definitely check them out because they often have affordable options. Not sure what part of the US you are from but if you live near a Safeway brand store (i.e. Vons, Tom Thumb, Randalls, even Rite Aid) they have an all organic, gluten free line of food that isn't badly priced compared to Whole Foods and other health food stores. Hope that this helps some. :-)
  • wayhaps
    wayhaps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I second the paleo diet recommendation. It basically removes everything that you are allergic to.
  • misspgreenwood
    Options
    Hi

I'm a lactose intelloerance celiac - 120 lbs looking to lose 10 / tone up. I'm applying the eat more idea at the moment, but if you want to be friends my diary is open, pretty much clean and its mostly beans / portions I'm bulking up with to increase the calories.

It is mind blowing at the start.. but there is so much info and foods are much better / accessable now than there were.

Grains are still avaliable and ok - millet, gluten free oats, cornmeal (GF types), rice, quinoa are all ok. Pulses are also good and quite cheap!

There are a wealth of soya or nut milks avaliable which are quite tasty.
  • shelbi1998
    shelbi1998 Posts: 3
    Options
    my dauter has to be tested for celiac should i be scared
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I would definitely try and find a local farmers market. You'd be pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper their produce is than if you bought it at a grocery store :)
  • rachf2013
    rachf2013 Posts: 69
    Options

no, definitely not. Everyone has already given such great suggestions, it doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought it was originally. It was a shock at first because I kept going through all the things I can't eat. But everyone's come up with a lot of foods I can eat and when I went shopping yesterday at walmart I found things weren't too expensive. It's also helping me eat more healthy because all the desserts I was eating had either wheat or dairy. So this is good.
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options

no, definitely not. Everyone has already given such great suggestions, it doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought it was originally. It was a shock at first because I kept going through all the things I can't eat. But everyone's come up with a lot of foods I can eat and when I went shopping yesterday at walmart I found things weren't too expensive. It's also helping me eat more healthy because all the desserts I was eating had either wheat or dairy. So this is good.

I like your attitude, it's great :)