Lost 5... gained 3...

Options
I haven't updated my tracker because I'm a little depressed about it... I'm finishing up week 4 of my healthy lifestyle change;

- I've cut out 99% of my pop intake (used to drink 2 bottles of coke a day, now I have maybe a glass with rum once every 2 weeks)
- I do have a small iced cap in the morning because I don't want to deprive myself completely, I used to have 1 - 2 mediums every day..
- I'm pretty much staying within my calorie intake (my calories have been cut in half from what I used to eat, so I do go over occasionally)
- I'm doing bootcamp 3x a week for an hour and walking on weekends

I didn't lose any weight for the first 3 weeks, and then on Monday I weighed myself and lost 5 lbs... yesterday I weighed myself and gained 3 back... I know that the scale isn't a complete reflection of how I'm doing... but I'm feeling really defeated

Is there anyone else who is in the same situation? I just need to know that this is normal...

Replies

• afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal. It is mostly water weight.
    Watch your sodium intake and keep doing what you're doing constantly.
    You'll see results :D
    Great job!
    Also, weigh yourself at the same time everytime you go on the scale.You'll be surprised how much that varies on your numbers!
  • xbekkiex
    xbekkiex Posts: 30
    Options
    thank you - that's a good point on the sodium intake... it has been high this week as I've been eating a lot of rice and adore soya sauce... :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing every day.

Keep doing what you are doing. Make a conscience effort to stay under your calories everyday. Eat healthy foods (fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat, fish, good protein sources), keep working out. The longer you do this it will be second nature. Learn to tell yourself NO.

Weigh once a week. ONLY. Hide the darn thing if you have to.

Patience. Determination. Motivation. The only tools a "lifestyler" will ever need.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Quit weighing every day.

Keep doing what you are doing. Make a conscience effort to stay under your calories everyday. Eat healthy foods (fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat, fish, good protein sources), keep working out. The longer you do this it will be second nature. Learn to tell yourself NO.

Weigh once a week. ONLY. Hide the darn thing if you have to.

Patience. Determination. Motivation. The only tools a "lifestyler" will ever need.
    Agreed!!
    I weight myself only once every two weeks officially at my nutritionist's office.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal. Your body is trying to adjust to all the changes. Try hard to put the scale away and only weigh once a week at the most. Weighing more often will only frustrate you.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I had lost about 5 lbs, then put on 2. lost again then put on again. Frustrating...I know. Just want to get off the last of the weight I need off, but going to take several months!
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I routinely lose pounds one day just to gain them back on the scale the next day and have to start trying to take it down again. I have not lost a pound according to my scales now in over a month, even though I am doing Insanity 4 days a week, walking/jogging on the treadmill most days, and staying within my calories every day. I have, however, lost a whole pants size during that same time period. I have learned that even though I want those numbers to change on the scale, they are not necessarily the numbers I need to use to measure my success as I make changes in my life.

Good luck with your journey!
  • Evilma
    Evilma Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. It is quite normal to fluctuate up and down. The main thing to focus on is that you are eating much healthier than you have in the past.

You can do this. :)
  • xbekkiex
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!

Kristen: I promised my husband I wouldn't weigh myself any more until the end of bootcamp... it's been tough, I've been so obsessed with my weight and trying to let go of that is hard.

Heather: Thank you :) I will make sure it's put away lol

tainted/amdahwd: glad it's not just me :) I keep trying to remind myself that the weight wasn't put on in a month... it won't come off in a month, I guess I just needed to know that it's normal!

Evilma: thank you :) I know that I still need to improve what I'm eating, it's a bit of a struggle... but week by week I am trying to cut one thing out and will get there eventually!

good luck to all of you as well and thank you again, it's really great being able to talk to people going through the same process.
  • him1025
    him1025 Posts: 44
    Options
    i haveing the same problem i lost a pound one week and was super excited and the next week i put it back on then some grrrr right lol. someone told me to drink more water to get rid of the water weight i havent brought myself to do it yet water taste like metal to me and litterly makes me wanna get sick, but try it and try cutting back on your salt intake to see if that helps
  • xbekkiex
    Options
    him: LOL yeah I've been told that too, I have been cheating slightly and adding tea flavour shots to every 3rd water bottle... so that I drink the first 2 just to get to the 3rd... with the increase in water intake and my high sodium intake this week, it really does make sense why I put it back on... hopefully cutting back on the soy sauce will help lol. Good luck to you!
  • Tarale1
    Tarale1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You should really try to only weigh yourself once a week. Weight fluctates daily. Also the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning before you eat. That is supposed to be a true reflection of what you weigh.
  • Tarale1
    Tarale1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i haveing the same problem i lost a pound one week and was super excited and the next week i put it back on then some grrrr right lol. someone told me to drink more water to get rid of the water weight i havent brought myself to do it yet water taste like metal to me and litterly makes me wanna get sick, but try it and try cutting back on your salt intake to see if that helps

For the water, my friend sells essential oils and advised me to put a few drops of grapefruit in it. It helps as a natural body cleanser (or so she says - LOL) and it gives your water some flavour. I have also heard of people dropping pieces of fruit in their water such as raspberries or orange slices. Give it a try, it might be the change you are looking for.
  • xbekkiex
    Options
    thank you for the tips Tarale!!
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1530 about 4 weeks ago. I immediately saw results. I lost 2 pounds a week for 3 weeks. Then this week I haven't lost anything...in fact I've gained back a little. I have been like you and wanted to weigh myself all the time, but I think sticking to just once a week at the same time and even wearing the same thing is probably the way to go and probably more accurate. Just keep on keeping on and you'll see progress eventually. Don't give up! :)
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It is a lot easier to put on weight then to take it off. I wish it would all go away in a month too! unfortunately i am one of those people who is lucky if they lose 1 lb a week. 2 is not gonna happen for me :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You aren't a number on the scale. You are doing this to feel better and look great and no one is standing behind you to know that that number is. Just keep on keepin' on.
  • xbekkiex
    Options
    Cari: Thank you for your post :) I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that if I eat too little, the weight won't come off - it's reassuring to read that it is in fact the case! Good luck to you!!

Tainted: yeah I think I'm going to be in the same boat, I had been told that 'the more you have to lose, the faster it will fall off' but that doesn't seem to be the case! My body is determined to hold on to it lol.

Kristen: I love that! Thank you! I might have to print it off and put it in my bathroom where my scale normally sits.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I am trying not to weigh myself so much. I do check my measurements once a week and find that is a better indication of my progress.
  • xbekkiex
    Options
    Journey: I'm going to have to start doing the same thing too, I *think* I've lost a bit in inches as my pants fit a bit better, not much though... good luck to you and congratulations on your progress so far :)