How do you "behave" at social functions w/ GREAT food?

Options
The past few months have been nothing but birthdays, graduations, and now a funeral today. OH..not to mention Memorial Day this weekend! Here in Southeast Missouri, it seems that every occasion revolves around lots of meat, fried chicken, potatoes, soda, cake, ice cream, cheese-laden casseroles, etc.

I DO try to bring a veggie or fruit tray, but the other tempations call out to me. It's always food that I NEVER make at home and (of course) food is always better when I didn't have to cook it! If it were a few times a year..a little "cheating" wouldn't kill me. But, HOW THE HECK do I go to a social function 3-4 times a month and NOT gain weight? I need to start a grass roots movement to celebrate by walking or hiking!! :) Other than that, any suggestions? I keep gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs. (PS-I have a torn ligament in my finger, so all exercise but cardio, legs, and abs is out for the next 3-4 months).

THanks for reading!

Replies

• thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the events without having eaten something prior. An empty stomach will not help you.

You probably know which foods are favorable. The problem is, how to resist the temptation on the others.
    Do a test run of calorie counts on the foods you don't want to resist -- baked brie, cheese puffs, or ribs, deviled eggs etc. Then set a limit on how many you can have. For other items, set a minimum -- say 2 of each (or whatever you are comfortable with). And keep in mind anything you eat, you'll have to up your excercise for. It's not deep fried cheese-filled jalepeno , it's 45 minutes of HIIT.

Also, drink a lot of water. Fancy food tends to be full of sodium.

Edited to add: When I have a lot of summer functions, most of them tend to be family/outdoors/grilling. It is totally acceptable in those situations (and sometimes welcomed) for me to take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood. It gives me a breather from the food, and the kids enjoy the 'exploring'.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I cannot deprive myself, but I can use portion control. So, when I go to events, I taste everything, but load up on the good stuff first. Remember that it takes about 3500 calories ABOVE your daily allowance to put on one pound, so even a splurge here and there (3-4 times a month = one cheat day a week) is not going to hurt anything.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!! I DID do pretty well yesterday..avoided the dessert table and ate some roast beef and veggies ( no bread!) Small victory! :) I LOVE the idea of offering to take the kiddos on a walk or hike. PERFECT excuse to fit in some calorie burning PLUS avoid the temptation of lingering around the food. :smile:
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Im from SWMO. Springfield. I agree about the "occasion" foods. I just try to make good choices, drink only water, and eat a little something before I go. And if there are absolutely no good choices, then I make "small" choices and just try to watch my portions!
  • wendiann2222
    Options
    Eat normal all day then eat a huge apple before going. Food doesn't look as appetizing when you are not hungry
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just like every day, be mindful of what goes in your piehole. LOL

I know it's so tempting when food is just sitting there, but if you don't go hungry and always have a glass of water in your hand (or gum in your mouth) you won't be tempted to eat just to eat.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that eating beforehand helps, as well as filling up on water. But to be honest, its these days that I let myself LIVE. I do eat some of the food, i don't eat as much as i used to though. This is a lifestyle change we're on, and there will always be birthdays, get togethers, and funerals to attend. Its the choices we make around these that will change our lives. So don't fret it, work out a little harder the day following or the day of, and enjoy yourself.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to not eat too much at functions, I feel like people are always watching to see what the "fat chick" goes for...Unless I get drunk, then there is a carnage left on the table and I can be found passed out with cup cakes on my boobs.
  • dawnstrassburg
    Options
    see how many calories beforehanf. if you see something had 1000 calories it may not look so tempting
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Like a ravenous pig...they have to hold me back...lol

Actually on days where I have a function where I know I will be faced with temptation I just make sure I eat light all day, have an extra hard core workout/run, and then allow myself to indulge a bit. I don't go overboard, but then I also don't feel guilty for having a slice of pizza AND some chips.... Or a slice of pizza AND a vodka/cranberry.

Gotta live a little.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just eat the yummy things in moderation =) Instead of a HUGE slice of cake ( which I would like to have) I just have a tiny slice. Same idea with other stuff
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    My eating at social functions has nothing to do with hunger, so eating before going does nothing for me! I am a visual person, so I look at an old picture of myself, when I was fit and at the right weight, and keep that in mind. It also helps me to keep my hands busy. Put a drink in one hand and carry a small plate with a few items on it in the other. If you do have too much to eat - remember to log it and move on. Tomorrow is another day...
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    Im from SWMO. Springfield. I agree about the "occasion" foods. I just try to make good choices, drink only water, and eat a little something before I go. And if there are absolutely no good choices, then I make "small" choices and just try to watch my portions!

:drinker: SMSU student right here (1995-1996). LOVED SPRINGFIELD!!! Good point about drinking water..only. If I add even just a wine cooler to the mix..my will power goes right out of the window. I quit smoking 1/6/12, so it's still hard to fight THAT temptation when alcohol and sitting outside in lawn chairs is invovled.
  • mjbrowne
    Options
    My eating at social functions has nothing to do with hunger, so eating before going does nothing for me! I am a visual person, so I look at an old picture of myself, when I was fit and at the right weight, and keep that in mind. It also helps me to keep my hands busy. Put a drink in one hand and carry a small plate with a few items on it in the other. If you do have too much to eat - remember to log it and move on. Tomorrow is another day...

^^ I think you hit the nail on the head. I am a visual person as well. I don't buy junk food I like..because if I see it, I will eat it. I even make my husband hide his "debbie cakes' for work in his dresser drawer and truck!

My snacking has nothing to do with hunger either ...I could probably squeeze a few cookies in even at my FULLEST (which I guess wouldn't be too damaging to my calorie count). I SHOULD look at a pic or at myself in the mirror (I"m only about 15 lbs from goal..so I 've come a long way) before the event to make a mental impact.

Thanks for all of the advice.-- Eat healthy meal before I go, allow myself a few little treats with the full knowledge that I WILL have to work them off (or work out the morning of the event) , drink lots of water, and play with the kiddos (this will also relieve some of my social anxiety...I feel most comfortble at home with my family..and that anxiety leads me to snacking just to have something to do.). I will work on all of this and I WILL survive the summer with smiles!!! :)

Have a great weekend everyone! :drinker: