Who volunteers to help Special Olympics?

Options
Joneses17
Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
Special Olympics is one of the most amazing organization I have worked with. It positively impacted and changed the daily life of my family sis my little sisters birth. I have moved a lot of college and grad school and after a few years off I am so excited to get back to volunteering with S.O.

I wanted to know how many of MFP folks volunteer or support S.O. as well.

Happy Friday.

Replies

• keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE what Special Olympics stands for and the very valuable services it provides.
    My husband and I met in the early 80s through our respective college service organization (Circle K International) which volunteered as "huggers" for Special Olympics. As we got busy with grad school, jobs and our kids, we stopped volunteering for about 8 years.

Starting in 1996, we both got heavily involved again and we are on the organizing committee for one of the largest events of the year. We also volunteer in other capacities throughout the year (security, serving food, my husband is a unified partner for golf).

The best thing is that our daughter who is now 24 volunteered as a unified swim relay partner when she was very, very young and has remained active with the organization, volunteering with my committee. Our son, who is now 19, tagged along to our meetings from the time he was three, and was an unofficial helper until he was old enough to be a registered volunteer. He also continues to volunteer with my committee every year.

Oh, and we have all done the Polar Bear Plunge many, many times to help raise funds in the frizid Atlantic Ocean in early February.

I love that this organization teaches us all that everyone is capable and can contribute. I love how it helps individuals stay active and build strength and fitness and self-esteem (from the very youngest basic motor skills participants to our late 80s year old bocce contenders).

It is an organization my entire family passionately supports. It is wonderful to hear from others who believe it is a fabulous organization, as well.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's great.