Low carb diabetic diet

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
What is the best low carb and diabetic diet to follow?

CALIE

Replies

• figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I would strongly advise you to ask your doctor that... Diabetics have to be very careful and carbs become sugars when broken down by the body, so your doctor or a nutritionist would be the best ones to ask...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Callie, thanks for sharing your beautiful smile with us (and your husbands behind:laugh: )

As for a diabetic diet, I got a print out from my doctor when I had gestantional diabetes with my daughter some 22 yrs ago.

I severely restricts whites of all kinds, bread/sugar/ potatoes, and limits the fruit.

Funny thing is Pizza is the number one trigger for my friend who is diabetic. We had pizza one night and she checked her blood and it had zoomed.......turns out the tomatos have sugar, the sauce has added white sugar, the dough is white flour, the mozzerella has sugar. Who would have thunkit!

Check with the doc. I know you have been working hard to change your eating and am so proud of you
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    Diabetics don't have a specific diet they follow. They have to count carbs because they turn into sugar. My friend and her daughter are both type 1 insulin dependent diabetics. They do not limit any food or eliminate any foods from their diet. I hope this helps.
  • shortwasp
    shortwasp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, and I checked with my local hospital to see if they had a diabetic program, and they did. I signed up, and my insurance paid for it. I learned how and what to eat and how exercise can be a big help with diabetes. Check with the hospitals in your area to see if they have a similar program.

Otherwise, the South Beach diet was made by a cardiologist for heart patients and diabetics. It's easy to follow and a healthy diet for most everyone. Ask your doctor if it's the right diet for you.

Sherri
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed, I met with a dietician and she gave me a plan to follow which included MORE carbs than what I had been eating before.

See a dietician/nutritionist or talk to your doctor or you could even find a program at the local hospital.