Looking to replace lunges

Options
I'm looking for some suggestions to replace lunges in my workout routine. Just need a break from them for a while and want to add some variety to the routine. Would love to see if anyone can suggest something to work the same muscle groups. I also do squats and calf raises using dumbbells in a workout room at home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! :smile:

Rob

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some suggestions to replace lunges in my workout routine. Just need a break from them for a while and want to add some variety to the routine. Would love to see if anyone can suggest something to work the same muscle groups. I also do squats and calf raises using dumbbells in a workout room at home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! :smile:

Rob

Bulgarian Split-Squats
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your lunges across multiple directions? Forward, backwards, sideways, crossover, lateral, curtsy? Walking? Twisting at the torso?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your lunges across multiple directions? Forward, backwards, sideways, crossover, lateral, curtsy? Walking? Twisting at the torso?

The only real acceptable form of a "lunge" is walking, forward, and rear. The others are all silly to be honest.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I personally hate lunges, even though I know how great they are. Do you ever do walking lunges? I find them a little easier on the knees. I like to do step ups with dumbbells as an alternative sometimes, and sometimes I will even do the leg extension machine will burns the hell outta my quads.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swing....always cures your posterior chain ailments haha

[/quote]
    The only real acceptable form of a "lunge" is walking, forward, and rear. The others are all silly to be honest.
    [/quote]

My opinion: lunge to the side has some merit, but you can't beat the good old to the front/to the rear.
  • rmatwick
    rmatwick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. The lunges have all been forward. My space is too confined to do the walking ones, but I like that suggestion. I think I'm going to mix in some dead lifts for a change of pace.

Again, thanks to each of you for your suggestions and support!!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for more suggestions. I'm at the end of the 30 Day Shred and it is still the one exercise I can't do comfortably. I can squat low and all day long but the lunges kill me.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    You can always take your dumbbells outside and do some walking lunges up and down the street. The change of scenery and fresh air could be refreshing.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    single leg squats
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Holmfridur_Gestsdottir Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I second the step ups with dumbbells or a barbell.. Also I have done "jump ups" (not sure what the formal name is, but basically the same as step ups, except that you jump up on the step, simultaneously with both feet). Also jumping lunges are a great exercise if you can do them, with or without dbs.
  • Ohbutiloveicecream
    Ohbutiloveicecream Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Actually these aren't silly at all. I've been doing weighted lateral lunges for three weeks and they have strengthened my legs (and core) in different ways.

Lunging with a twist helps stretch your hip-flexor & hamstring (if you lunge deep), improving your form with other compound moves (squats, deadlifts, Bulgarian split squats...as others have suggested.)

AND I agree with the suggestion of Bulgarian split squats BUT if you struggle to stay balanced with that, try weighted alternating stepups or weighted (regular) split squats
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

100% disagree, in life we don't always move in a straight line, so why should we train this way. The other directions also help you with balance. Do you play racquet sports? Soccer? Basketball? Ultimate Frisbee? Volleyball? I imagine you need to do some lateral movement in those as well.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Single legged leg press going deep as possible