Missing my fast/junk food. When is it ok to have some?

Options
So I've been on a diet for exactly one month today, went from 176 down to 158 with both diet and exercise @ a 5'10 height. 1200-1400 calorie a day diet (not enough for a man?), heavy cardio the first 2 weeks, and now cardio twice a week with 3 days of light weights and stretching to maintain my weight and shape.

I do still have some lower belly fat I want to lose but I have just about reached my target weight and I'm feeling great.

I told myself I would not eat any junk or fast food until I got my body into the shape I want it to be in (like a reward to myself).

I'm really starting to miss my burgers and pizza though :( I don't want to go crazy with it, but I feel like if I don't have some soon I will be very sad :(

I get scared that if I even have one whopper with fries and a few slices of pizza all the fat I got rid of will return to my midsection. Since I've worked so hard and committed to it very seriously I do not want to take this risk.

What is a healthy portion to have, how often can I indulge, and after a month of healthy habits is it ok for me to start introducing some junk/fast food into my regular diet with any consequence.

Would love to hear some opinions please :)

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So I've been on a diet for exactly one month today, went from 176 down to 158 with both diet and exercise @ a 5'10 height. 1200-1400 calorie a day diet (not enough for a man?), heavy cardio the first 2 weeks, and now cardio twice a week with 3 days of light weights and stretching to maintain my weight and shape.

No, that's not enough. I lose weight on double that amount. Now granted we are all somewhat different in that we have differing amounts of activity and lean mass but I would be shocked if you couldn't lose weight on much more food than that. Additionally, your rate of weight loss is WAY too fast. This is not necessarily a good thing especially given that you were not exactly obese, unless you have dwarfism.

I'm really starting to miss my burgers and pizza though :( I don't want to go crazy with it, but I feel like if I don't have some soon I will be very sad :(

I get scared that if I even have one whopper with fries and a few slices of pizza all the fat I got rid of will return to my midsection. Since I've worked so hard and committed to it very seriously I do not want to take this risk.

That's not how fat works. You aren't going to gain from the names of the foods you eat, you are going to gain from eating excess calories above and beyond what you expend over time.
    What is a healthy portion to have, how often can I indulge, and after a month of healthy habits is it ok for me to start introducing some junk/fast food into my regular diet with any consequence.

That's up to the individual. I personally limit my trans fats as much as possible but it's still a matter of dosage and context. As far as "junk" food in general, if you're exercising and remaining active and you're able to have it in "moderation" then I don't see an issue with it. In fact, I'd say that from a mental standpoint, it's superior to be able to exercise moderation with the things you enjoy, vs becoming an all-or-nothing dieter who labels foods into "good" and "bad" buckets, and practices avoidance (outside of medical necessity to do so).

Get an estimate on your TDEE and increase your intake gradually (150 kcal per week as a starting point) until you're consuming about 20% under your TDEE. Right now you're creating a very big deficit and you don't have the fat stores to pull that off unless you want to look like a raisin when you're done dropping weight.

Additionally, you should probably ditch the idea of light weights and start lifting heavier, assuming you would like to look athletic.

Lastly, what is your protein/fat intake in grams? Considering your caloric intake is as low as it is, you are likely deficient here too.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Listen to him^^^
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Listen to him^^^

Agreed! Spot on advice!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything better than Sidesteal did. Definitely take his advice.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't even read everything Sidesteal wrote, but he knows his stuff. I don't have to read it to know he's right. Listen to him.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    agreed with Sidesteal but I wanted to add that I have dropped 40 lbs having moderate amounts of pizza and beer on the weekends.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Listen to him^^^

Agreed! Spot on advice!

And another, sidesteal knows his stuff!!

Eat a lot more based on tdee. (helloitsdans post 'in place of a road map' explains this)
    Switch to heavy weights
    Everythibg in moderation - if it fits in your macros and you don't have junk every day don't worry about it.

I lose 1.5pw on 2000 cals. I'm female and eat 'bad' things a few times a week, you just need to balance it out with healthy choices the rest of the time :-)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    agreed with Sidesteal but I wanted to add that I have dropped 40 lbs having moderate amounts of pizza and beer on the weekends.

Exactly, and while the point of my post wasn't to say "go have a bunch of junk food", I believe that each individual needs to find the right balance of making healthy decisions while still allowing some "fun" items into their diet.

Congrats on your weight loss. To clarify strictly for the OP, the above poster was able to do this because including the above food items did not cause him to over-eat calories over time. He was able to maintain a caloric deficit with the inclusion of pizza and beer.
  • alicenadams
    alicenadams Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just another suggestion. I have starting making pizza at home for our family. It's much better for us and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Maybe try some healthier alternatives to the "junk" you crave? I buy the pizza dough from the deli at the supermarket and doctor up my own sauce and pick what toppings I like. You can get really creative and have dinner on the table in 15 minutes or less.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can eat some "junk" food if it fits in with your calorie allowance without displacing better balanced food and leaving you short of other nutrients.

For me the key is to look at the info on what you are about to eat so you can see how it fits in your plan. As an example, in the past I may have found a whole pizza tempting a quick and easy meal but then I checked how many calories it had in. Recently we had a pizza to share between the family and ate it with a side salad and for the day as a whole I was within my calorie allowance and reasonable balanced overall.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Exactly, and while the point of my post wasn't to say "go have a bunch of junk food", I believe that each individual needs to find the right balance of making healthy decisions while still allowing some "fun" items into their diet.

Congrats on your weight loss. To clarify strictly for the OP, the above poster was able to do this because including the above food items did not cause him to over-eat calories over time. He was able to maintain a caloric deficit with the inclusion of pizza and beer.

Thanks. I tend to aim for a weekly caloric goal rather than daily. This way, you can plan ahead for "fun" meals and it becomes more of a lifestyle rather than a diet.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I can shred eating pizza, cheesecake, snickers, burgers etc on a daily basis :-) There is no need to cut those yummy foods out of your eating habits for the sake of losing weight. And according to your height and weight, it sounds like you could afford to go on a bulk. You're taller than me and weight almost 10 pounds less.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I just make myself healthier versions of the junk food so I can have it and feel good about it and most of the time it tastes just as good and is more satisfying mentally as well as physically
  • noomi85
    noomi85 Posts: 3
    Options
    @Sidesteal,

Thanks for the quick response, I will take your advice seriously and look into making some changes into my diet and exercise.

As for the daily intake of between 1200 - 1400 calories, I have become pretty accustomed to it. I don't find myself hungry throughout the day or low on energy. With 3 meals a day and 2 snacks in between I rarely find myself wanting to eat more. I just wouldn't know what more to eat. Maybe eat larger portions of what I'm already eating to have some extra calories? My TDEE came out to 2740, so based on what you said I should be eating about 2200 in calories a day.

Fat & Protein intake, according to my food logs on here, daily fat is about 20 and protein around 50. Not sure of what it should be however.

For junk/fast food I think I should be ok with treating myself once a week to a meal of my choosing. Whether it be fast food, chinese, pizza....etc I guess like you guys said everything is ok with moderation.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Key words you wrote are "without any consequence". If you are referring to only weight loss/gain, it doesn't matter if you eat crap food that gives you heartburn at a minimum. Problem is that much of the junk food is calorie dense and lacking nutrition. So you will have to eat more of it to fuel the body, and hence repeat the cycle.

If you want to be choosy, choose not to go back to junk food. There is a reason we call it junk food.
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Thanks. I tend to aim for a weekly caloric goal rather than daily. This way, you can plan ahead for "fun" meals and it becomes more of a lifestyle rather than a diet.

I agree. While I try to stay generally within my daily goals, if I know I have an event coming up or just want to generally save some cals for the weekend, I will try to be under 100 or 200 calories per day during the week and enjoy a treat on the weekends. Its easier to look at the bigger pictures (the entire week) than to agonize over each day. Great advice in this post :)
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    When you can control how much you eat, and you wont feel guilty about eating it.
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    to me its always ok for you to have it but have control and dont over eat
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agrree with sidesteal if you want those thing make it homemade you know what's in it and it will taste alot better use ground turkey for burgers and homemade toppings for the pizza you can even buy healthy pizza dough to make at home. There are lots of way around it just don't consume it everyday once a week is OK.

Congrats on ur weight lose keep it up
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    So, the first replier is spot on...I would just add, practically, that if your goal was to not eat the food and reward yourself, I would stick to that. The temporary satisfaction of the meal(s) won't compensate for the guilt it sounds like you'll have once you're done.

To be a bit bipolar...I never usually deny myself of indulging (thats as of late) and compensate for whatever the caloric travesity by working out.

Great job on your success thus far!