Water question

Options
When they, Dr's and MFP, say that you should drink 8 cups of water a day, do they mean 8 measuring cups or 8 drinking cups? The cup I drink out of could hold at least 4 measuring cups of water.

Replies

• pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Typically a cup means 8 fluid ounces.
  • Cherylt825
    Cherylt825 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If it does go by exact measurement and not the "cup" that you drink out of, I am drinking 30 or more cups of water a day! So, I guess I'm good. lol
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    When they, Dr's and MFP, say that you should drink 8 cups of water a day, do they mean 8 measuring cups or 8 drinking cups? The cup I drink out of could hold at least 4 measuring cups of water.
    i usually drink 15-20 16 oz glasses
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    I drink 1.5 liters every day. Is there such thing as too much water? Its the ONLY thing i drink
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If it does go by exact measurement and not the "cup" that you drink out of, I am drinking 30 or more cups of water a day! So, I guess I'm good. lol

You do not need that much water.
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I drink 1.5 liters every day. Is there such thing as too much water? Its the ONLY thing i drink

Yes there is a thing as too much water. If you drink lots and I mean loads of water you can die.
  • shuadchaun
    shuadchaun Posts: 10
    Options
    Actually there is such a thing as too much water. I drink no less than 240 ounces a day, more on a work day. I've done some web research and as long as it's spaced out through out the day you should be alright. Depends on a number of factors though, like body weight. Do some research for yourself though.
  • MrsUnderwood
    MrsUnderwood Posts: 114
    Options
    My trainer has us working on drinking a gallon of water a day...I never drink that much but I'm working on it! The minimum amount we are supposed to drink is 8 cups which is 64 oz.
    I have a 20 oz container that I drink out of. I have to drink 128 oz which is about 6.5 of my bottles/containers.
    1 gallon = 16 cups
    16 cups is twice the required amount, but minimum is not optimum, the more you drink the better.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I aim fror 2 litres a day but often 1.5 bear in mind you get fluid from other means too, and other drinks but water is great for keeping you full and making your skin look fantastic!! :drinker:
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What about flavored water, such as tea? Does that count as water intake?
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    I've gone by a cup is 8 ounces. I typically drink 15-25 cups daily. :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    What about flavored water, such as tea? Does that count as water intake?

Flavored water, as in water with some flavor and most likely aspartame/sweetener in it is debatable. Tea is not considered water intake.
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    Tea is not considered water intake.
    I disagree with this. I drink herbal tea throughout the day and could the cups with my intake. I do not count Propel, for instance, with my water intake.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    FYI Herbal tea which is decafinated and unsweetened DOES count as water intake. Check the label - if there is no calorie information it counts toward your water.

Also, my Herbalife peeps usually recommending drinking half your body weight in fluid ounces of water if you can do it. It sounds like a lot, but really it's not bad. For me it works out to about 15, 8oz glasses a day.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Tea is not considered water intake.
    I disagree with this. I drink herbal tea throughout the day and could the cups with my intake. I do not count Propel, for instance, with my water intake.

Technically herbal tea isn't even tea since it contains no actual tea leaves so that's a whole other ballpark.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow! If I drank as much water as some of you I would not have room to eat anything, and I would get nothing done for going to the bathroom!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wow! If I drank as much water as some of you I would not have room to eat anything, and I would get nothing done for going to the bathroom!

I thought that, too, but your body gets used to it. And because you are well hydrated all the time, your body doesn't store water and hence no "water weight."
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There is so much conflicting advice on this subject but the one I like is - divide your weight in pounds by 2 and drink approximately that many ounces. So if you weight 140lbs you would aim for 70oz/9cups/4-5 500ml bottles, more depending on the climate, activity level and consumption of caffinated or alcoholic drinks!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    stay hydrated...the end...