weigh ins...does anyone on here diet without weighing??

Options
im looking to go down a dress size on my top and bottoms before xmas, the thing is i find it stressful weighing myself and just wondered if anyone else does, i tend to feel like shouldnt eat or stuff which is not healthy! im going to measure waist, hips, bust, arms and thighs instead.
ive lost the motivation to go to aquafit due to the dark cold evenings .so im going to push myself to walk the dog for a few hours at a time on my days off work instead.
any other ideas for motivation??
im really the type of person who would love to hybernate for winter so i need to keep going!:smile:

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, if it works for you, why not? The scale is really a crude measure of how much fat you are losing anyway. I think watching your body fat % and your inches and sizes in clothes is a much better measure.

OTOH, I weigh every day as I think it makes me accountable. :laugh: But, if it didn't work for me, I wouldn't do it.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    try weighing yourself every two weeks instead.
    Push yourself to exercise. I hated exercise, too, in the beginning. Try a workout video.
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    I'm working through the couch to 5K program and find having a goal helps me stay motivated. of course, I go to the gym, so the weather doesn't really affect if I exercise or not.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh myself every 2 weeks, although I do have those days where I jsut feel skinnier and I'll hope on.... and I weigh more than the last time!!! So I've found that I need to keep to one particular day every week or every 2 weeks, because your body weight does fluctuate throughout. Also I've noticed that many times I may have not lost any pounds or even gained one or two, but lost inches instead! Which for me is fine! I also bought an eliptical not to long ago bc I live in WI and it already flurried yesterday! I also do yoga and have a few aerobics dvd's. It's always fun to invite a friend over you haven't seen in a while to do 'em with you. You tend to laugh at each other which burns calories too!! :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    honestly, my weight means nothing to me at this point. To some I have plateaued, given I am fluxing between 135-137 for months..............but I have gone down an entire dress size without losing a pound.

I am stronger and healthier. Yesterday I started my garden, as I do each year in Oct and agin in March. My husband commented that this is the first time in over 5 yrs I didnt almost pass out from digging and planting.......I am stronger.

So can you achieve your goal of losing a size without obsessing over the scale, you betcha!!

:drinker: jeannie
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    im looking to go down a dress size on my top and bottoms before xmas, the thing is i find it stressful weighing myself and just wondered if anyone else does, i tend to feel like shouldnt eat or stuff which is not healthy! im going to measure waist, hips, bust, arms and thighs instead.
    ive lost the motivation to go to aquafit due to the dark cold evenings .so im going to push myself to walk the dog for a few hours at a time on my days off work instead.
    any other ideas for motivation??
    im really the type of person who would love to hybernate for winter so i need to keep going!:smile:

I'm not much into exercise either, so my kind of exercising has to be fun! :happy: I dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also walk, and use the Wii Fit, and jog with it, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    Maybe you could do fun stuff like that to get you moving! :smile:
    As for weighing in, I don't like it, but, I do it once a week to keep myself accountable. :grumble: :laugh:
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm with BrenNew. It's gotta be fun or I won't do it. That said, I did buy a jump rope. It's not fun, but it's fast! I can usually make myself go out in the garage and jump rope for 10 minutes. It's a good way to spend the time while I've got the t.v. paused so I can fast forward through the commercials as my 'reward' for exercising. :laugh:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I no longer weigh in regularly. Between every 2-4 weeks usually. I have been maintaining the same weight for almost a year - fluctuating about 4 lbs either way.

When I first started out, almost 2 years ago, I weighed in weekly. Any more than that did nothing for my self-esteem. Any less than that and I lost track of my goals.
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in like everrryyy day - but I'm not trying to lose and I tend to eat the same kind of things on a weekly basis. So I figure I will most likelly be the same unless I have a night out or something. So then I just cut back or work out harder the next couple of days. It all balances out in the end! I'm glad I finally came to this realization instead of being aslave to the scale!!!:smile: