Brand new to the site...ultimate goal to lose 130 lbs...

Options
Hello, I am brand new to the site. My ultimate goal is to lose 130 lbs, but I am starting with a smaller goal of getting to 250 lbs first. I went to see my family doctor today, who is fabulous by the way, she gave me tried and true advice...reduce caloric intake and increase exercise. She didn't try to push pills on me or give me the easy way out...she was honest and patient with my questions.

I am looking forward to gaining some success on this journey and I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Replies

• sll0306
    sll0306 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I've realized some hard lessons using MFP! Like the Dairy Queen blizzard I skipped last night (medium chocolate extreme-960 calories). I wouldn't have thought twice about it before. Using the website or app is wonderful! I wish you the best of luck!
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Setting realistic goals is a great start. I read a GREAT poster recently that put things in a wonderful perspective. The saying on the poster went like this: PATIENCE! Let's be realistic here. You won't drop two jean sized in one day. You won't lose fifty pounds in one month. You are going to binge every now and then. You will go a day or two without working out. Your weight is going to fluctuate here and there. You are going to try new techniques and they may not work. You're a human being...and you may even fail. However, NOTHING great is ever accomplished without overcoming a few obstacles. JUST KEEP GOING!

That said, find an exercise program that works for you....one you will commit to and keep going....even when the going gets tough. The tools of MFP are great and I've used them for a few months. If you have a phone that allows APPS by all means get the mobile app and use it when you are away from home.
  • jbarlow715
    jbarlow715 Posts: 13
    Options
    I like what you said sll0306 and jonesdav254. My problem is thinking that I should immediately drop 10 pounds because I didn’t eat that 960 calorie Blizzard. My need for immediate gratification is what got me in this situation in the first place!
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    make sure you take your measurments too....a lot of times you see changes there when you don't on the scale! That will help you feel better if you are the type of person that needs to see changes ASAP! Congrats on starting your journey!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Very sound advise..glad you have a doctor that is honest and upfront with you. you can add me if you want. I have about 160 lbs to go but would be satified with 130. It's hard so find what works best for you.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,358 Member
    Options
    Setting realistic goals is a great start. I read a GREAT poster recently that put things in a wonderful perspective. The saying on the poster went like this: PATIENCE! Let's be realistic here. You won't drop two jean sized in one day. You won't lose fifty pounds in one month. You are going to binge every now and then. You will go a day or two without working out. Your weight is going to fluctuate here and there. You are going to try new techniques and they may not work. You're a human being...and you may even fail. However, NOTHING great is ever accomplished without overcoming a few obstacles. JUST KEEP GOING!

Awesome quote!