Healthy Cereals?

Options
One of my favourite snacks is yogurt mixed with cereal, but I'm getting kind of bored of all bran which I normally have. What your favourite healthy cereals to eat? (and that are relatively cheap)
Also I'm from the UK.

Replies

• tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you have Kashi over there? I love Kashi crunch with some fruit and plain greek yogurt. My favorite breakfast. It also has a ton of fiber and protein in it :)
  • jessicah16
    jessicah16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try Kashi Heart to Heart Blueberry Clusters Cereal or Kashi Go Lean Cereal. I love them both.
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love Tesco Sultana Bran or Special K, although both are sugary and they don't fill me up anything like good old porridge.
  • limbopanto
    limbopanto Posts: 25
    Options
    No Kashi in England :/ I would love to try them though, kinda sucks.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like honey bunches of oats fruit blends. Very high in iron (which I need as I suffer from anemia) and quite tasty.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Cheerios
    Rice Krispies
    Corn Flakes
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Plain oatmeal. It's about the most calorie-efficient cereal in existence.

If you like yogurt and cereal, you'd probably LOVE "refrigerator oatmeal". Google it and try it.
  • showgirl14
    showgirl14 Posts: 6
    Options
    Special K Red Berries is really good. I've never eaten it with yogurt tho. I always eat it with skim milk. It's really good.
  • limbopanto
    Options
    Plain oatmeal. It's about the most calorie-efficient cereal in existence.

If you like yogurt and cereal, you'd probably LOVE "refrigerator oatmeal". Google it and try it.

I eat a lot of oatmeal already, haha. Just checked that out, it looks good! Thank you.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I switched to ground flax seed in my yogurt for the omegas
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    i like original FIBER ONE.
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean - a good amount of protein
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honey bunches of Oats is good, but they also make these "just bunches" that are AMAZING in yogurt. I also love Life cereal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    to answer your question....there arent really any truly healthy cereals. break the breakfast means cereal trap. eat dinner for breakfast. most all cereals are processed grain with sugar added. oatmeal is one of the most over rated foods in the world.

get away from cereal.
  • super_star_27
    super_star_27 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    fruit and fibre?? --- it's just as good as all bran only a bit more excitingm :laugh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is cheap and is a cereal. I nuke 1/2 cup with 1 cup water for 1:30 seconds and add 1 cup of mashed berries. Yummy, full of fiber, quick to make and it keeps you from being hungry for hours!
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have Life cereal when I want a break from oatmeal. Plus I have a kid so I try to keep healthier cereal options around.
  • limbopanto
    Options
    to answer your question....there arent really any truly healthy cereals. break the breakfast means cereal trap. eat dinner for breakfast. most all cereals are processed grain with sugar added. oatmeal is one of the most over rated foods in the world.

get away from cereal.

I know cereal isn't the healthiest, but I honestly like it too much to give up.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of oatmeal already, haha. Just checked that out, it looks good! Thank you.

You're welcome. Oatmeal is my go-to breakfast. OK, it's a touch high in carbs, but I'm always under on my carbs now anyway, but the yogurt fills in some fat and protein. I use an egg instead of yogurt.

PS: Something I just learned yesterday - did you know that cinnamon has a decent amount of iron and calcium? I generally don't log spices, but decided to log it yesterday, and discovered that my teaspoon of cinnamon on my oatmeal is not only a great flavor and an appetite suppressant, but it gives me 5% of my daily iron needs and 3% of my calcium.

Oatmeal + Cinnamon + a protein source (egg in my case) = 200 calorie breakfast that keeps me going for a LONG time.
  • bitterbrownie
    bitterbrownie Posts: 369
    Options
    i eat cereal every day and mix a few ;p

i use:

cheerios
    golden grahams
    crunchy bran (by weetabix)
    shreddies
    cornflakes

adding nuts helps to you fill you up!