Will my heart rate monitor work with another chest strap?

Options
Xia21
Xia21 Posts: 85 Member
My Heart rate monitor chest strap piece is no longer working and buying a new HRM is completely out of my budget right now. The watch is still in perfect condition.

I was wondering if I were to buy another chest strap( the same make and model) would it be compatible with the watch that I already have?

Has anyone done this before? I've done tons of research and I cant find this topic anywhere, even on the manufacturer's website.

My HRM is very essential to my health change, any comments are welcome. Thanks

Replies

• sherrykwilk
    sherrykwilk Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Iixia! If for example your watch is a Polar, and you replace it with a Polar strap, the answer is yes it will work. Have you checked the battery on the chest strap. They are often the little lithium round ones, but not so easy to change. Bring it to a running specialty store and they may be able to help you test the strap...
  • Xia21
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to mention it, but Yes I tried changing the battery. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated :]
  • Make sure u r washing the strap. I usually soak it n a sink of soapy water for an hour and then let it air dry. It is important to do this every couple of weeks. What happens is over time salt buildup from sweating from your workouts will saturate the area where it is suppose to read your heart rate. If too much builds up and u don't clean it, then eventually it won't be able to read your heart rate, sorry:( if u think this is the case, I can sell u a new strap without the battery part or u can order it straight from Polar. Either way, it will end up being the same price because I am an authorized dealer of Polar. Let me no if u need more help and I hope it works out for u :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a Polar chest strap will work with a Polar monitor. In the past, the battery in the monitor has run down. I've never had that happen with the battery in the transmitter on the strap.
  • wrenbird
    wrenbird Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    yes. I have two polar chest straps and they both work with the same watch.
  • Xia21
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure what caused it to stop working, but I purchased another strap on ebay for a fraction of the price. Everything is working fine now.

Thanks again for the support! :]