weight from stopping smoking:(

Options
2»

Replies

• audtod
    audtod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, your right it was hard and I should put that will power to the task at hand:)
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Quit over 2 years ago put on about 20 pounds have since lost that plus!! Hang in there! Even after going through some high stress situations I still did not pick them back up!! Go ME!!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Great job on quitting smoking, OP! I quit Dec 2010 and it's totally possible to lose weight! Stick with it!
  • Misscolaface1989
    Options
    smoking does that make you gain weight ? im also trying to quit smoking but when i smoke it put my mind off eating unhealthy stuff. I know smoking aint healthy either
  • audtod
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply, you have given a lot of good advice there, especially filling up on the vegies. It is cool as I like raw veg I just forget to buy it. I certainly know about planning meals, when I am not working it takes up quite a bit of my time, I find it quite relaxing. Also learnt to cook since giving up the cigs which is a major bonus:) I know surround my self with cook books to relax.
  • audtod
    Options
    Thanks for that, no way shall I go back on the cigs, if I feel like one I just remember sore lungs, coughing uncontrolably when laughing and waking up with dead limbs due to lack of circulation, by the time I go through everything, the craving has past. Maybe I can use a similiar method with unhealthy eating.
  • audtod
    Options
    Thanks it is good to hear that, and well done you, that's excellent.
  • mopoll
    mopoll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. Don't give up. You will see huge health benefits....and they smell so bad! I quit 18 months ago....and smoked for 30 years so you can do it!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    eeek, I am still smoking 4 -6 cigs a day trying to quit I can go without all week when on vacation but, as soon as I am back to work bam...How did you quit? cold turkey or patch
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I used the patch.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I'm planning on quitting now and dreading the weight gain that's going to happen. I'm just hoping that using this program of diet and exercise will help so that it's not too bad.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I gave up smoking after 53 years in August 2010 and feel great, except I ballooned from a steady 12 stone (168 lbs) to 14stone 8.1/2 lbs (202.5 lbs), and since i joined in February 2012 i'm now 14stone 2.1/2lbs (198.5lbs), and struggling. good luck to all:drinker:
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 3 months ago...feel free to add me if you want :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking 27 days ago but started my weight loss and exercise 35 days ago. So far I have lost about 22 lbs. Some times it is extremely hard and I can chew he hell out of some gum but it gets easier to do both. I have not felt this good in a long time. I also gave up fast food and most junk food except for a very occassional treat. I am sleeping better, getting tons of cardio done, my digestion has improved, I have more energy especially after work. If you want to do it, really want to do it, stop making excuses and just do it. Don't let food and cigs beat you
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking about 2 months ago. Then put on 5kg (11 pounds) within a month - and I hadn't changed my eating habits at all :( But I don't regret stopping as I feel so much better and have more money in the bank and feel like I am finally free of that particular addiction. I joined MFP two weeks ago to find a solution to the weight gain problem - which now seems to have been reversed now that I have decided to make exercise my outlet for addictive tendancies. It seems lke a far better addiction to have.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in October of last year. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Yesterday my in-laws were visiting and they smoke like freight trains. I alternated between wanting to be sick from the smell and wanting to grab a cigarette from their hands and puff away. The scary thing is that I know that just one and I'll be back to where I was when I quit.

Congrats to you on quitting and staying quit. I think the staying quit is sometimes much harder than quitting.

As for the feeling hungry all the time, I think that's probably more diet related than cigarette related. I'd say that if you're feeling hungry all the time, up your calories just a bit to see if that helps. Also, it may help to try more veggies (as suggested) and more protein. I know I tend to feel less hungry when I include protein in my meals.

And, final thing...you can do this! Be patient and listen to your body and you'll do this. :)
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Great job all of you on your quits! I agree with other poster, if you have the will power to quit, then you can do the weight loss if you put your mind to it. Good luck!
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've quit smoking 3 or 4 times in my life and each time I have gained 5 - 10 lbs... plus i'm on birth control. its gonna be a blast trying to get this weight off. I just recently quit again maybe 2 months ago. This time it was easier tho and I don't think I gained any weight cuz I quit right when I started to change my diet so I didn't eat to cover my cravings :):drinker:
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Smoking speeds up your heart rate and when you quit your metabolism slows down, my doctor told me. However, when I started smoking 7 years ago (have no idea why) I gained all this weight, so smoking hurt my metabolism and my exercising. I quit 5 months ago and I have lost about 27 pounds since then. I used an electronic cigerette and still do. Every time I get a craving I puff on this Joyetech thing and its awesome! I have not gained any weight by giving up smoking, just lost and I can run now!!!! You can do it! Check out www.route66vapor.com. It worked for me anyhow, good luck!
  • 1215ladybug
    Options
    I too put on about 20 or so pounds when I stopped smoking. It's been a little over a year for me and I am losing the weight. I have enjoyed so many more things since I quit, I ran my first 5K ever on May 13th and I finished it! Yeah benefits of quitting will last whereas the weight you can lose, you have already changed one aspect of your life, so now it's just another change to eating healthy and moving more. One step at a time and one day at a time will get you where you want to be. Congrats on the quitting!!!!!