Breakfast: Myth or Truth??

Options
Is it true that breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day if you're trying to lose weight? I've heard different things from people, so I'm not sure what to believe! Any help is appreciated :)

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Is it true that breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day if you're trying to lose weight? I've heard different things from people, so I'm not sure what to believe! Any help is appreciated :)

It is entirely personal preference. This means that you should monitor how you feel and behave when you eat big breakfasts vs no breakfast and you should choose whichever one gives you the best adherence to your plan.

From a metabolism standpoint, it doesn't matter.

EDIT: To be very clear, some people over-eat when they skip breakfast. Other people have a much easier time controlling their total daily intake of calories by NOT eating breakfast because they can then save those calories for later.

You need to see where, on that continuum of breakfast sizes, you prefer to be. This is absolutely not a one-size-fits-all answer.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It is entirely personal preference. This means that you should monitor how you feel and behave when you eat big breakfasts vs no breakfast and you should choose whichever one gives you the best adherence to your plan.

EDIT: To be very clear, some people over-eat when they skip breakfast. Other people have a much easier time controlling their total daily intake of calories by NOT eating breakfast because they can then save those calories for later.

You need to see where, on that continuum of breakfast sizes, you prefer to be. This is absolutely not a one-size-fits-all answer.

I call BS! This is not backed up by broscience so it can't be true!!!
    /sarcasm
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Is that like the one where you're not supposed to eat after a certain hour of the evening or else you will get fat fat fat?

The time of day you eat does not effect the rate at which you lose weight.

In fact, packing in all your calories in the morning may upset your metabolism a bit; I think the general idea is to spread your calories over your day evenly.

AND, eating a large percentage of your calories first thing in the morning will probably leave you hungry later on, which may lead to setbacks. I keep my breakfasts around 500 calories or less or else I often don't have enough for a bedtime snack :(
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Find what works and feels best for you and try to incorporate it into your day. Truthfully that's the best way to make a lifestyle change that can last and last.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

What ^ said.

My largest meal is usually dinner.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    What is this breakfast thing you speak of?

Seriously, if you define breakfast as a meal you eat right after getting up, or early in the morning, I can count on one hand the days I have eaten that type of breakfast this year. No joke. My first meal is typically around 4 or 5 hours after I get up. I drink water, but I don't eat. And it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss in any way - what affects that for me is staying under maintenance calories, IMO.

Personally, if I eat breakfast I seem to run out of calories later in the day when I want them...and I'm not typically hungry in the early morning (or at least I don't feel hungry until later in the morning/day). So I'd try it out, as others have suggested, and find what works for you! Good luck!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I don't think it makes a difference what time you eat most of your cals, but personally I find that a big breakfast seems to set my stomach up for wanting more throughout the day than if I eat something small-ish a few hours after waking up. It just comes down to what works for you really.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I eat a relatively large breakfast, but I've recently upped my calories and if I don't then I can't fit them all in. Plus, I'm always ravenous when I get up in the morning. But my "large" breakfast is around 500 calories. It feels like a lot, but I guess it probably isn't. I didn't eat a big breakfast yesterday and then had to suck down a protein shake at 8:30 after my workout. That was no bueno because then I had to pee all night. So, I'm a fan of big breakfast. But I do think it is personal preference. It helps me, but if you think you'll just keep going over every day because you blew your calorie wad on breakfast, then go for something lighter.
  • Lmaass1
    Lmaass1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others lol I've kind if I skip breakfast I'll over eat pretty much the rest of the day.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options

yep
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I never seem to be hungry right away in the morning. I usually get up around 530 and have coffee and water. I am usually ready for a protein shake or hard boiled eggs at 830-900. Then I always have a nice lunch (bigger than dinner) this keeps me going all day and less afternoon snacking. Funny if I don't have a bigger lunch I snack all afternoon. I do eat lunch around 1130. It seems to be working though
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    Personal prefference - I eat 5-6 meals a day, all 200-300 calories each. I feel gross if I eat more than that at breakfast, and tired/cranky if I don't eat shortly after getting up.

I think the important part of breakfast is how you feel, and how it affects your goals.