How do you ladies/guys DO IT!

Options
13»

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Portion control. Mental awareness. Making the right choices.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Processed, packaged foods - like you had for bfast - are notoriously high in calories, fat and sodium. You can make something just as hearty and filling and tasty for much less calories.

I don't advise skipping breakfast. Research shows that people who eat a good breakfast lose weight faster and keep it off more consistently than those who don't.

but you may have to experiment a while and find what works for you.

That research does not account for people deliberately calorie counting. Research on calorie counting show s that when you eat and how often does not matter at all, but for people who are NOT counting, breakfast helps them chose to eat smaller portions the rest of the day.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting, then you can just eat normally for a few days and make sure you log it all. Get an idea of what the calorie level you normally eat at is.

Then, slowly cut back.

Replace bread with a salad, reduce the amount of salad dressing you use, if you normally eat two scrambled eggs, change it to two egg whites with one whole egg - cuts the calories, but still gives you lots of protein, etc. . .
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Basically, one of the tricks is to remove higher density calorie foods and substiute those with less calories. ALso, fill up on low calorie foods like veggies. Drinks have lots of calories (sodas, coffee drinks, alcohol, etc), good idea to cut those out since they take up calories....I

I could go on and on bbut I think you get the idea. It's going to take some research and learning before you get it right . Good luck!

THIS ^^^^

I can relate. It is harder than it looks, and your question is a big one that would require a loooong answer. Here is what I have learned from people smarter than me. Like a lot of things it not complicated, but it is hard.

1. Drink a LOT of water (1/2 your body weight in ounces. Yes, really). It really helps you feel full and you get used to having that much fluid during the day. It also removes the empty calories of sodas and sugary beverages, which are more than you think.

2. Log your food here! (It will help you understand pretty quickly what foods are your friend and which aren't).

3. Plan out what you will eat ahead of time as much as you can. (Some people make their meals for the week on the Sunday before).

4. Eat nutrient dense foods most of the time. They are good for you and keep you feeling FULL longer. Typically, if it is found in nature, you will be doing OK. That bagel and creme cheese not only won't fill you up, but the refined carbs will crash your blood sugar and make you feel even more hungry. Without starting a "Low Carb" war, (which is a whole other topic), I think just about everybody agrees that refined or processed carbs are not good for weight loss. They are high in calories, low in nutrients, and they tend to spike your blood sugar, then crash it.

5. Try to eat protein and some kind of fruit or veggie at every meal.

6. Plan out how you will hit your calorie goals. I break down the calorie goal into the times I plan to eat. For example - -1600 divided by 3 meals and 1 snacks group = 400 cal per. Basically check the calories before you eat it, so you don't get off track during the day. You will be surprised at how many calories some things have. Then with some experimentation you will find what works for your meals. If you know you are having a big dinner, maybe you shave a little off of your lunch to try to hit your target.

7. Work out "Hard" regularly. What Hard means to you depends on your fitness level, health, and motivation. You don't have to collapse after every workout, but you should challenge yourself with your exercise regimen within reason.

8. Keep at it! If you are willing to do the work, you will get the results. I'ts that simple. They may not come as fast as you want them to, but they will come.

Simple Right?

Feel free to add me if you like. I try to be supportive of my Buds on MFP.
  • vision2012
    vision2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Basically, one of the tricks is to remove higher density calorie foods and substiute those with less calories. ALso, fill up on low calorie foods like veggies. Drinks have lots of calories (sodas, coffee drinks, alcohol, etc), good idea to cut those out since they take up calories....I

I could go on and on bbut I think you get the idea. It's going to take some research and learning before you get it right . Good luck!

^^^^ This
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat plenty of fresh chicken, fish and beef, 4-5x a day heat about 100g a time with plenty of veg or salad. Every other meal include some carbs and aim for around 150g carbs in total a day and make the rest up with healthy fats (such as oils or nut butters). It'll keep you fuller and be tastier. Make sure none of it is processed with additives put in, altho frozen veg is just fine.
  • andreahuffmon
    Options
    I do protein shakes for breakfast (I scoop of protein powder, 1 tsp peanut butter, 1 banana, 1 cup skim milk, ice) for breakfast which keeps me full for at LEAST 4 hours. For lunch I do a salad (romaine lettuce, shredded carrots and/or other veggies, with some diced lunchmeat for protein), or a turkey sandwich made from a pita pocket or a "thin bun" with baby spinach/shredded carrots and a little salad dressing instead of mayo/miracle whip. For dinner, we make taco salad, chicken fajitas, chili...the trick is to keep the portion small (if you feel full you probably ate too much). I also usually do a snack between lunch and dinner (apple, special k fruit crisp, grapes, etc). Hope that helps!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    processed food is soooo not good for you. why would you eat a chicken pot pie for breakfast?? my diary is open..i goofed off later in the day but i documented it and have not gone over my calories. only thing is im done for the day now and im used to eating before i go to bed ... healthy is way better than just looking at calories. processed chicken pot pie is totally not healthy for you.. all them calories you wasted -- you couldve eaten way more and for half the calories

try traditional things for breakfast .. i use egg whites and rarely i use a whole egg.. and i put veggies in it . i typically have oatmeal but will bend for something else . if i make a breakfast sandwich i use bagel thins , sargento deli sliced extra sharp cheddar and egg white ..no butter and sometimes two turkey sausage links

i try to stick to a whole grain and protein ..once in a while ill throw in a dairy like cheese or fruit but not often..i like saving fruit for snacks
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You need to find things you like that aren't so high in calories, you can look at my diary if you want but I'm not the healthiest eater out there :}
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi, the pot pie you ate for breakfast was 630 calories.

Instead, you could eat something like this:
    3oz of grilled chicken breast (110 calories)
    2 large eggs, boiled or fried with PAM spray (140 calories)
    1 slice of toast (80 calories).
    If you ate the above, you would be full on only 330 calories.

So, the trick is to find filling food that are lower in calories. Pre-packaged foods are usually much higher in calories. so try to go for food you can prepare at home (like the eggs and the chicken above).

Best of luck. I have been at this for a while now and have lost a lot of weight. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need advice.

~Rose
  • edsgotguns
    edsgotguns Posts: 6
    Options
    I just joined and I really excited about learning how to do it too. Some of the reply posts are really fantastic.

I agree with many that learning what kinds of foods to eat and how many calories are in the foods we eat is really informative. The support is also really nice.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Processed, packaged foods - like you had for bfast - are notoriously high in calories, fat and sodium. You can make something just as hearty and filling and tasty for much less calories.

I don't advise skipping breakfast. Research shows that people who eat a good breakfast lose weight faster and keep it off more consistently than those who don't.

but you may have to experiment a while and find what works for you.

That research does not account for people deliberately calorie counting. Research on calorie counting show s that when you eat and how often does not matter at all, but for people who are NOT counting, breakfast helps them chose to eat smaller portions the rest of the day.

The research I've read accounts for active "dieting" or counting calories. It helps your metabolism work better, and tends to keep people from overating at lunch. It has definitely been true for me and has been a key factor in my weight loss.

But, like I originally said, it isn't true for everyone. EAch person has to find what works.
  • Strawberry09
    Strawberry09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started getting back this site and lost 3.6lbs since Monday. I've been planning my meals and punching them in before eating them to make sure its worth it. I am a huge snacker..love my sweets :-) so I've bought some 90 cal snacks and skinny cow ice cream sandwiches (which are so good!). Drink LOtS of water it helps so much.I've been speed walking everywhere at least an hour a day and if not biking instead. I was on this site before and lost 30lbs and im excited to be back! Welcome to MFP, and good luck to you :-) maybe check out the success stories, they'll keep you motivated. :-)
  • LovelyNina21
    Options

THIS ^^^^

I can relate. It is harder than it looks, and your question is a big one that would require a loooong answer. Here is what I have learned from people smarter than me. Like a lot of things it not complicated, but it is hard.

1. Drink a LOT of water (1/2 your body weight in ounces. Yes, really). It really helps you feel full and you get used to having that much fluid during the day. It also removes the empty calories of sodas and sugary beverages, which are more than you think.

2. Log your food here! (It will help you understand pretty quickly what foods are your friend and which aren't).

3. Plan out what you will eat ahead of time as much as you can. (Some people make their meals for the week on the Sunday before).

4. Eat nutrient dense foods most of the time. They are good for you and keep you feeling FULL longer. Typically, if it is found in nature, you will be doing OK. That bagel and creme cheese not only won't fill you up, but the refined carbs will crash your blood sugar and make you feel even more hungry. Without starting a "Low Carb" war, (which is a whole other topic), I think just about everybody agrees that refined or processed carbs are not good for weight loss. They are high in calories, low in nutrients, and they tend to spike your blood sugar, then crash it.

5. Try to eat protein and some kind of fruit or veggie at every meal.

6. Plan out how you will hit your calorie goals. I break down the calorie goal into the times I plan to eat. For example - -1600 divided by 3 meals and 1 snacks group = 400 cal per. Basically check the calories before you eat it, so you don't get off track during the day. You will be surprised at how many calories some things have. Then with some experimentation you will find what works for your meals. If you know you are having a big dinner, maybe you shave a little off of your lunch to try to hit your target.

7. Work out "Hard" regularly. What Hard means to you depends on your fitness level, health, and motivation. You don't have to collapse after every workout, but you should challenge yourself with your exercise regimen within reason.

8. Keep at it! If you are willing to do the work, you will get the results. I'ts that simple. They may not come as fast as you want them to, but they will come.

Simple Right?

Feel free to add me if you like. I try to be supportive of my Buds on MFP.

^ Nice & Simple & straight to the point. I GOT THIS! THANKS! :smile:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You are getting some awesome advice.

Here's a trick that works for me.... I put everything I plan on eating in my tracker first thing in the morning, then make adjustments throughout the day as needed. My beginning tracker and ending tracker never look the same, but it gives me a rough idea of what I'm going to have/should have throughout the day.

As several have mentioned, just track what you normally eat and look for places to make adjustments. Also, it will give you an idea when you eat the most calories. Personally, I use about 200 calories breakfast, 300 for lunch, 300 for afternoon snacks, 300 for dinner, and then 500 for after dinner snacks. Yes, I eat the bulk of my calories after dinner. It's taken me years to just let go of the idea of having a big dinner and a small snack several hours before bed. That doesn't work for me. I like to eat in the evenings. Once I accepted that fact and worked out the calories accordingly I have lost weight and it's helping me to maintain a healthy weight.

Find out what works for you and remember any changes you make should be ones you can live with for a lifetime. :flowerforyou:
  • imamess87
    imamess87 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do 1200 calories a day and it is definitely doable! I can assume that your biggest problem is the type of food you are consuming. If you are consuming calorie dense foods, you will only be able to eat a little bit but will still feel hungry. Here are some of my tips that have worked for me and for my clients. Just to validate the information I am giving, I have my B.S. in exercise science (a lot of my coursework was in nutrition) and am a certified trainer through the American College of Sports Medicine.

Breakfast: I LOVE greek yogurt. It may look small but it is packed with protein which will make you feel full. I also keep those pre sliced apple bags around to pick on if I am still hungry. Sometimes I will have a banana also. Eggs are great also, just don't add bacon or cheese! Instead add in spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers or whatever else you like! If you want a little cheese add some fat free feta. I try to keep breakfast under 250 calories.

Lunch: I use this as my biggest meal of the day. I usually cook something in the beginning of the week so I have it in the fridge and I just have to heat it up. This week it was buffalo chicken egg rolls. (Shredded chicken, non fat plain greek yogurt, reduced fat blue cheese and buffalo sauce rolled up in an egg roll wrapper. I cook them and then during the week just pop them in the microwave for a minute). I also keep eggplant chips around to snack on (thinly sliced eggplant lightly breaded and baked with no oil). Lunch is usually between 400-500 calories.

Snacks: If you have a sweet craving, I love the jello mousse snacks. Each one is just 60 calories. The edy's whole fruit pops are great also at 80-90 calories each. If you need a little crunch, try Asian Gourmet rice crackers. They don't taste like cardboard I promise! for 18 crackers its 120 calories! I usually have them with some hummus. Thats probably my favorite snack.

Dinner: I usually start with a salad to fill me up. I use a light dressing and don't put too much on. Add in olives, tomatoes, onions, fat free feta, craisins, walnuts or anything else you love. I usually follow that with some chicken either plain breaded or baked plain with a little marinara on top. Dinner is usually around 300-400 calories.

If you get bored and need some new recipes I love the website DashingDish.com. I have made a bunch of those recipes and they are really good!!

Once you get past the first two weeks of starting a diet it gets so much easier so don't give up!
  • Momys
    Momys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well done for coming here and asking rather than just giving up! You have already had lots of good advice! I also plan my day, and then adjust throughout. I find it much easier that way. I like a bigger breakfast, so this morning for example I had an omlette made from 1 egg and an extra egg white, 1/2 cup cooked mushrooms (I steam them) and 1/2 oz of cheese (just for the taste). With that I had 1/2 an orange. I ate breakfast later than usual, so didn't need a mid morning snack. For lunch I had tuna salad (home made), a small boiled potato with a dollop of plain yoghurt and 1/2 an apple. For mid afternoon snack I had a pear. For supper I had 2 cups of 9 bean soup and a banana. I'm not even at 1100 calories and I was never hungry today.

Planning
    Cooking/making my own food and
    weighing up the options for meals make a HUGE difference for me!

Good luck!
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Well me personally I'm allowed 1570 calories and I usually (if I eat breakfast) eat about 200 for breakfast, 300-400 for lunch, and then I always save close to 1000 for supper!! Supper is my biggest meal and I always seem to eat the food with more calories during this meal. Really, it hasn't been that hard for me. I've learned to buy 35 calorie bread, 35 calorie Laughing Cow cheese, salsa, 90 calorie wraps, and other lower calorie foods!! I can make a HUGE burrito for 150 calories and it fills me up!! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I am pretty active on here and love meeting new friends who are serious about losing weight! :)