BMI

Hi all I'm new to this website but it looks really useless. I am trying to join the police service here in the UK, but dazzled by my BMI score. 35. I know I am overweight but I have a big frame and do lot of regular exercise, honestly I really do, at least 5 days a week. However my BMI is really high. This really worries me. I think 30 would be a health limit for me, but i guess doctors would say i need to be about 24, which would be daft as this would be impossible for me.

Has anyone else experience this aswell?

thanks
David

Replies

• Hi all I'm new to this website but it looks really useless. I am trying to join the police service here in the UK, but dazzled by my BMI score. 35. I know I am overweight but I have a big frame and do lot of regular exercise, honestly I really do, at least 5 days a week. However my BMI is really high. This really worries me. I think 30 would be a health limit for me, but i guess doctors would say i need to be about 24, which would be daft as this would be impossible for me.

Has anyone else experience this aswell?

thanks
    David
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Um, a BMI of 24 is a healthy BMI normally. If you are very atheltic, then BMI can be off, but other then that, having a BMI of 24 sounds about right.

What is your height, weight, age, and current activity level (not including exercise). I.E. do you walk around a lot for your job, or sit at a desk...etc.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Off to the side of the BMI page here it states that it is not accurate for pregnant women, people under 5 ft tall and those with muscular builds. Perhaps you would fit into the muscular build category. It is just a generalization, but something in the mid 20's sounds about right for most people.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    ugh,...just did mine...and its bad LOL....I mean I know i'm overweight but I think its because I'm short too....I'm really very muscular (legs and arms not belly anymore LOL) but w/ some nice fat padding I'm trying to get rid of LOL...sigh...

so how would one figure it out more accurately....if you can...
    thanks!
    Ali
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    This BMI calculator does not take into consideration your frame or amount of muscle...so don't get too worried! I am pretty chubby...but according to this BMI thingy i am overweight and close to obese! Worry less about your BMI and more about how you look and feel!!

Good luck!:drinker:
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    I like this site that tracked the BMI and weight loss for the Biggest Losers -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser_(Season_5)

Especially with their titles for BMI

Healthy = Less than 25
    Overweight = 25 to 30
    Obese = 30 to 35
    Clinically Obese = 35 to 40
    Morbidly Obese = Greater than 40

Though... you can be in VERY good shape and by just putting in Height/Weight/Age into a chart, your BMI will be much higher than what it should be for your health.