I need help. How many calories should I be having a day?

Options
According to the BMR Calculator, my BMR is 1,159. But my calorie goal has automatically been set to 1,200. I want to lose about 13lbs at a rate of 1lb a week.
I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and burn an average of 600 everytime I go. So should I be eating back all of these calories, some or none at all. I really have no idea how much I should be eating.
I'm 5'0 by the way.

Replies

• builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)

It sounds like you are moderate maybe but I dont know how intense your workouts are if you have any extracurricular activities or how you spend your day. Then, adjust your eating when you know what your TDEE is. You need to keep your muscle or else you'll lose all body tone, so dont eat too little.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    MFP will calculate your calorie intake based on the amount of weight you want to lose. It won't let you go below 1200, but depending on your age, weight and activity level it comes pretty close to being a good gage for calorie intake.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    According to the BMR Calculator, my BMR is 1,159. But my calorie goal has automatically been set to 1,200. I want to lose about 13lbs at a rate of 1lb a week.
    I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and burn an average of 600 everytime I go. So should I be eating back all of these calories, some or none at all. I really have no idea how much I should be eating.
    I'm 5'0 by the way.

Change your MFP activity level to active, set at 1lb a week. What is your calorie goal then?
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It may be better to set your weight loss goal at 0.5lbs. When you don't have a ton to lose your deficit shouldn't be too big.

MFP won't let you go below 1,200. YOu are fine and will still lose weight eating above your BMR as long as you are under your TDEE.
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    Sadly, you have to find what works for you. Start at what you feel comfortable with. If you have not lost in 2 weeks, lower calories or up cardio without eating back those calories. Wait 2 weeks and adjust as necessary. It really does vary quite a lot from person to person.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Yes, you should eat back most of those calories. Pay attention to your macro percentages. You can adjust them in MFP to whatever ratio is best for you. Carbs 45% Protein 35% Fat 20% as an example. Then try to reach those goals for each macro category.
  • plgibson1969
    Options
    OK...prob sound like a dummy but I'm new what is MFP?
  • xbekkiex
    xbekkiex Posts: 30
    Options
    My Fitness Pal :D I asked the same thing lol
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 by the way.

Based on your pictures, your TDEE seems around 2300-2400 calories
    If you want to lose slowly but surely eat around 1900-2000 calories
  • plgibson1969
    Options
    My Fitness Pal :D I asked the same thing lol
  • plgibson1969
    Options
    wow...lol thanks yeah I do feel stupid MFP my fitness pal..:blushing:
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 by the way.
    It looks like your current weight is approx 100lb! For a BMR of 1159 and an activity level multiplier of 1.35 (corresponding to at least 30 minutes vigorous-intensity activity, 4-5 times per week) your TDEE is approx 1600 cal/day. If your daily balance (food - exercise) is less than this number, you'll lose weight. To drop 1 lb per week, you'll need to eat 500 calories less per day. So, to achieve your goal (1 lb/week), your daily balance should be 1600 - 500 = 1100 cal. FYI, if you'll follow MFP's recommendation (1200 cal/day), you'll lose 0.8 lb/week.

PS. Following this plan, you'll start loosing quickly weight in the first 2-3 weeks (maybe 1.5-2 lb/week), than you might hit a plateaux for another 2-3 weeks, after which you'll start loosing steadily, at the pace indicated (1 or 0.8 lb/wk). So, be patient!! Good luck in your journey!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 by the way.
    It looks like your current weight is approx 100lb! For a BMR of 1159 and an activity level multiplier of 1.35 (corresponding to at least 30 minutes vigorous-intensity activity, 4-5 times per week) your TDEE is approx 1600 cal/day. If your daily balance (food - exercise) is less than this number, you'll lose weight. To drop 1 lb per week, you'll need to eat 500 calories less per day. So, to achieve your goal (1 lb/week), your daily balance should be 1600 - 500 = 1100 cal. FYI, if you'll follow MFP's recommendation (1200 cal/day), you'll lose 0.8 lb/week.

PS. Following this plan, you'll start loosing quickly weight in the first 2-3 weeks (maybe 1.5-2 lb/week), than you might hit a plateaux for another 2-3 weeks, after which you'll start loosing steadily, at the pace indicated (1 or 0.8 lb/wk). So, be patient!! Good luck in your journey!

Nope, she is 18, that would have been the case around 27-34 years old
    Higher metabolic rate and still ongoing growth to support
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nope, she is 18, that would have been the case around 27-34 years old
    Higher metabolic rate and still ongoing growth to support
    Nope!!! The fact that I am very close to MFP's recommendations, proves that I am using the right set of data/formulas. And yes, the calculations are for an 18yo girl, 5ft tall, with a weight of approx. 100lbs. This is how I confirmed the BMR calculations are right!

But anyway the age, height, weight do not matter since our esteemed MFPer provided the BMR (1159 cal/day), which includes already these values in it. To get the TDEE, you’ll just have to multiply this number with a so-called “activity level multiplier”. In her case this is more like 1.3-1.4 (corresponding to at least 30 minutes vigorous-intensity activity, 4-5 times per week). Pretty simple, eh!

BTW, at the beginning of my diet plan, I reviewed these formulas with a registered dietitian! Until now, I dropped 61 lbs in 21 weeks (yes, I am on a more aggressive plan)!!! So, I am firmly convinced the formulas I am using are right. To be clear, in the girl’s case, I’ve adjusted the formulas according to her goals. She will not lose weight as aggressively as I do.