What to do with apples?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
We picked about 8 pounds of apples today at the orchard and already had about 3 pounds at home. What can I do with them all? (I don't have a ton of time to do much with them until next weekend if they'll keep that long. Refrigerate them???)

Replies

• Huxalyn
    Huxalyn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You could make applesauce or apple butter (no, there's no butter in apple butter). Scout around online to find a good recipe, but either one takes a lot of apples to make without doing the standard pies or crisps or what-have-you.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: apples keep well for a fairly long time in the refrigerator. If they are really great apples, consider eating one a day for a snack.

I made applesauce out of the apples from my friend's tree.

core the apples and cut them in small pieces (leave the peel on)
    I put 12 apples and 2 cups of water in a big pot
    bring to a boil
    simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on simmer for 40 minutes with the lid off

you can freeze the applesauce in small containers

I use it about half a cup at a time on a serving of oatmeal

enjoy :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You have time --apples will keep for a few weeks without special handling unless they are bruised. Put them in a cool dark place. Fridge crisper works fine for a week or two. What to do with them --eat them: snack, salad...cook them: jelly, pie, applesauce, baked apples, apple crisp. Most of all enjoy them!!!::bigsmile: :
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Here's some ideas for you...

1. Slice them up and sautee with cabbage. Serve with pork chops and a baked potato.

2. Cut one up, put it in a rice cooker with a half cup of oats, a cup and a half of water, cinnamon, and brown sugar... makes a super good breakfast (and it will cook while you shower if you're short on time).

3. Make chicken salad with apples, walnuts and a little light mayo (this works best with granny smith or other hard, tart apples).

4. Puree them and add to frozen cooked winter squash to make butternut squash soup.

5. Make a wild rice pilaf with apples and toasted nuts.

6. Make a veggie curry with roasted apples, cauliflower, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans. Serve over jasmine rice.
  • inkpal
    inkpal Posts: 1
    Options
    If you can't use them all and are afraid they will go bad, maybe you could donate them to a homeless or women's shelter? Just a thought.:heart::heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    Here's some ideas for you...

1. Slice them up and sautee with cabbage. Serve with pork chops and a baked potato.

2. Cut one up, put it in a rice cooker with a half cup of oats, a cup and a half of water, cinnamon, and brown sugar... makes a super good breakfast (and it will cook while you shower if you're short on time).

3. Make chicken salad with apples, walnuts and a little light mayo (this works best with granny smith or other hard, tart apples).

4. Puree them and add to frozen cooked winter squash to make butternut squash soup.

5. Make a wild rice pilaf with apples and toasted nuts.

6. Make a veggie curry with roasted apples, cauliflower, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans. Serve over jasmine rice.

These are really good ideas! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just cut up an apple, sprayed a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, sprinkled on some cinnamon and microwaved for about 30 seconds. I then added the slices to a half cup of Edy's slow churned vanilla ice cream. Nomilicious. :)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Just grab one and much..................Repeat.............Repeat..................Repeat, until they are all gone!!!

Apples are a very healthy food and one a day keeps the Dr away!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    FYI: apples can be kept for about 1-2 months in a cool dark place. Back in colonial times they had such things as root cellars (which are pretty much unheard of now) and they kept their produce in there thoughout the entirety of winter. Harder, firm apples will keep best think: granny smith, winesap, black arkansas, and honey crisp.
    If they are more of a soft variety they'll still keep on the counter for a good 3-4 weeks.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    FYI: apples can be kept for about 1-2 months in a cool dark place. Back in colonial times they had such things as root cellars (which are pretty much unheard of now) and they kept their produce in there thoughout the entirety of winter. Harder, firm apples will keep best think: granny smith, winesap, black arkansas, and honey crisp.
    If they are more of a soft variety they'll still keep on the counter for a good 3-4 weeks.

HA! We had a root cellar when I was growing up - kept apples and potatoes in there.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

HA! We had a root cellar when I was growing up - kept apples and potatoes in there.

Me too. :happy: We still keep it all out in the garage during the fall and winter. I've been known to keep wine and beer out there too.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! Wonderful ideas! We mostly have the fuji kind, and they're so good!