Memorial Day (Weekend)

tammisr32
tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
Anyone else worried about BBQ's...holiday plans??? :drinker:

Replies

• andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    My husband just told me to pick up ribs and a pork butt to smoke for the holiday. I think I'll go buy a bunch of Tilapia for myself.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    No, but as far as I know we are staying in this weekend. Usually we go camping. My little man is turning 3 on tues.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    ya, my family is going to Striker's Grove, I am worried I won't be able to go because food hasn't been settling well with me these past 2 days, and I would hate to bring everybody down...
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 751 Member
    Going to the pool. I nibble a lot there. Planning to pack fruits & healthier snacks. No soda for me.
  • bassman92
    bassman92 Posts: 273 Member
    I'm going back home after my Moms funeral.....it will be good to get back home and eat normally again.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    We decided we would HOST the BBQ and have everyone here so we can control the food we are around...we bought nothing but healthy stuff and are just not telling everyone....turkey burgers and hot dogs..skinless chicken breast..baked chips....salt free tortilla chips..skinny margaritas..low cal beer...etc...so we can relax, eat normal and not have to worry=)
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    I just blew 1,200 cals in alcohol and it's not even 6pm here in VEGAS, baby, VEGAS. Something tells me I'll be waking up Tue morning pissed.
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    I just blew 1,200 cals in alcohol and it's not even 6pm here in VEGAS, baby, VEGAS. Something tells me I'll be waking up Tue morning pissed.

no reason to be pissed.. its life. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse and ride!
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    No, but as far as I know we are staying in this weekend. Usually we go camping. My little man is turning 3 on tues.

Not too worried either. Counting it as a cheat day. With alot of fruits and veggies to snack on!
    My little man turned 3 last November. Enjoy and happy birthday little guy!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Not worried here. I know that I just have to watch what I eat and drink, or I will be over on my calories. I can always go for a run or hit the gym to burn off a ton of calories too. I don't make excuses for overindulging, and I believe that holidays are just a reason that we use to "excuse" ourselves for doing what they know is not the best choice.

Besides, if you go over by 3,500 calories in three days you can certainly make that up with a 3,500 calorie deficit over the next 5 - 7 days to get it back.

So...Don't worry - be happy. Have an awesome and healthy Memorial Day weekend!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Not too worried. I have turkey and chicken brats. (a lady I work with told me she likes them better than regular brats............we will see, LOL) All of the grocery stores around here have melons and berries on sale, so I am off in the morning to stock up. I made it through Easter, so I am thinking Memorial Day should be a breeze. Many more healthy choices for me than I had at Easter. I will be in my 11th week on Monday, and I am looking ahead to a holiday ( I am hoping for Thanksgiving) that I can truly indulge. I am so glad that I found this site! Thanks to all who's journeys help keep me honest and on the road to my goals!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Monday is my birthday. I'm going to eat what I want, and I'm not going to worry about it. It's just a day! :-)
  • Goosiesnougs
    Goosiesnougs Posts: 420
    I love the attitudes people! Life is too short! Enjoy yourself for the day and get back on it! Thanks Veterans
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    I don't stress about it... If I'm eating healthy most of the time, my body and the scale don't seem to care if I indulge on weekends. My advice, be sure to workout in the morning, eat a healthy breakfast, keep sensible snacks around (nutrition bar, V-8 juice, raw veggies) and drink a bottle of water between each alcoholic beverage. Oh yeah, if you are going to a BBQ - take along a nice fruit tray or veggie tray so you can have something to nibble on without guilt. Also, take along a 6 pack of a lite beverage. Totally doable.
  • amullen53
    amullen53 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey guys ( and gals) thanks for all the feedback and encouragement for the Holiday weekend. Great tips too,..

Anyone besides me WAY over in sodium goal. I had no idea my "normal" foods have so much sodium ( ie. smoked turkey deli meat, turkey salami etc) and dont dare eat at Jack n Box or Tommys ...even El Pollo Loco good deal of sodium although a bit healthier than the aforementioned....Any FUN suggestions!
  • percxa
    percxa Posts: 16 Member
    As far as I know, most deli meats are pretty high in sodium. I've been pretty good with mine once I started paying attention to it. I eat mostly fish and chicken grilled or baked, so sodium usually isn't an issue unless i season it or marinade it. Use fresh or frozen veggies and lots of salads.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    amullen53, sodium content was an awakening for me. It is in everything. I have found that your best choice is fresh meats, fish, vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I try to stay away from anything processed now, but it can be very hard and frustrating. Even the frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts have much more sodium than fresh ones. Mrs. Dash and my grill have become my best friends. Eating out is kind of a nightmare as far as sodium is involved. Good luck to you.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member

you can't be too bad off. you typed that w/o slurring :drinker:
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    No, got to work the next three days. No time for party.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    I'm not so much worried about the food as I am the alcohol... It might have to be one of my Eh... &$^# it! days :x