Anyone use the New Rules for Lifting -Midlife book???

Options
twinmom01
twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
Does anyone use "The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams" ?

I am currently ending 6 months of doing structured crossfit (my box is moving + the class times won't jive with my daughters swim team scheduale during the summer). I also do cardio kickboxing (a lot of HIIT cardio with bag work).

I was going to get buy the new rules of lifting for women but my husband wants to start doing some lifting as well so I bought this book (since we are also heading towards middle age...ouch that hurts to write). So anyone use it? If so what are your views on it.

Replies

• MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see the responses.

I didn't know this book existed, actually. I am starting NROL4W today, and I'm 39.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in how things are different in the book. I know they are certainly different for me as I get older. *sigh*
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see the responses.

I didn't know this book existed, actually. I am starting NROL4W today, and I'm 39.

I was going to het the Women one but then my husband mentioned he wanted to try his hand at lifting and wanted me to help him start...I figured since I was giving up my Crossfit I needed something to keep me in line - I was going to get the womens one and make him follow it but then I found this one...so who knows...some of the reviews mentioned it wasn't much different then the other books...
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just bought this book last week. I have not read any of his previous books but had heard a lot about the NROL4W and this one caught my eye because I am 42. I am pretty much a lifting novice and like the book and am very pleased with it. He is a good writer, cites a lot of studies and it is an easy read. My favorite part so far is is statement that at my age if I lift I can be as strong as a a person in their 20 that doesn't lift or workout. I am set to find out since I am in the best shape of my life and could beat up my 20 year old self. :) My first week it has proven to me I can do things I didn't realize I could do and has cause DOMS in muscle I hadn't realized I had.
    If anyone else is using this book feel free to send me a message and/or friend me.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just got the book (also got the Abs version and the ... for Women for the wife). We should start a group and share what we are learning. Tom
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I want to know what others think of it. I bought NROLFW before I found out about this one and would like to know what the differences are. I'm 56 and not sure this body can do the younger version :bigsmile:
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend this one because it has 5 levels for all the exercises. If you have any of those ailments that limit you to some exercises, this book has many variations that you can do. I do like it. I just received mine last week and started the program Monday, June 25th. The NROLFW was a bit much for me on some of the exercises. This one you can build your own workout at what suits you.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I didn't know there was a new one out. I adore NROL, much more than NROL4W, but I usually don't like sequels. I just really like Schuler and Cosgrove, too. Maybe that's odd for a woman, given Schuler's background in men's health. I'll watch for this one. Thanks!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just got this book and it's a life-saver for anyone that has old or new serious injuries. Helps inoculate you against the "one-size-fits-all" type of mentality that can be pretty pervasive, loud, ignorant, and irresponsible on MFP and other lifting forums.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I am 52 and just started lifting not too long ago. Doing it only own. Just posted another topic and not much response. I will track what you all do on here and see if I can find this book.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, this is an old thread, that I searched, and bumped with my comment.

It's called: "The New Rules of Lifting for Life"
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I downloaded it in iBooks. This was exactly what is as looking for. Thanks!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Great! You're Welcome!!!

If anyone doing this program wants to add me as a friend, feel free! :smile:

Oh, also there is a group on here for this book. I haven't written on it yet, myself.